Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Tivo Question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-02, 08:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tivo Question?

Will all Tivo's record 2 programs at the same time please help.

I am looking at this model Philips HDR212 for $199.
Old 01-03-02, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Tivo Question?

Originally posted by rmoore

I'm not sure if any TiVos will record two programs at once although perhaps some newer models will. Mine doesn't. I don't know about the model you cite but you can probably find out at the TiVo website.
Old 01-04-02, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AFAIK, all current stand alone units only have one tuner and therefore you can only record one channel at a time. The DirecTV units, however, do have two tuners and can record two different channels at the same time.
Old 01-08-02, 10:51 AM

Re: Tivo Question?

Originally posted by rmoore

The hdr212 is a 20 hour standalone. As was previously posted, standalone units only have one tuner so they can only record one program at a time.
Old 01-08-02, 02:05 PM

Most of the new for 2002 models have two inputs. For instance, I have the Directv model, and it has two inputs, and i have two Directv lines running to it thanks to an oval dish with 4 outputs. However, it can still only record one at a time. But you can now watch something different than it is recording.
Old 01-08-02, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by JBabbitt
Most of the new for 2002 models have two inputs. For instance, I have the Directv model, and it has two inputs, and i have two Directv lines running to it thanks to an oval dish with 4 outputs. However, it can still only record one at a time. But you can now watch something different than it is recording.
Well, I may be mistaken, but the DirecTivo units are still the only ones that can record two shows at once. And you are incorrect in saying it can still only record one at a time. You can record two shows at the same time if you are watching a previously recorded program.
Old 01-08-02, 05:41 PM

I have a Hughes DirecTivo with 2 satellite lines into it. It will record two programs at once.
Old 01-08-02, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In December a software upgrade was transmitted via phone line to upgrade all DirecTivo units to enable the second receiver. One can record two programs and watch a third previously recorded program at the same time. Some units bought recently won't have received the upgrade. Most likely the update will be downloaded later.

DirecTivo is a delightful concept - the recorder keeps the original digital signal on the hard drive, and decodes it when it's played back - there is no picture degradation at all.