Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Know anything about the Klipsch Quintet Microtheater?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-01, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A guy is selling the set used for about $400 Cdn, (or about $250 US) the price seems pretty good, can anyone weigh in on quality? It would be my first purchase of speakers so I guess i'd have to rush out and buy a receiver.

My dilemmna: I wasn't really shopping for speakers but if this is a really good deal maybe i'd spend the money and say Merry Christmas to me. Any opinions?

Here's a link:

http://www.klipsch.com/products/systemdetail.asp?id=43

Thanks for your input.

P.S - I should point out it does not include the sub.
Old 12-06-01, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
IMHO I would not buy it for two reasons.

1) I do not buy speakers I cannot listen to first

2) Often times these mini systems have crossovers set for the speakers and sub (that match). If you are not getting the sub, you are going to need to buy a sub that will allow you to adjust the frequencies manually, which is not a easy task.

Best of luck to you.
Old 12-06-01, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
IMHO I would not buy it for two reasons.

1) I do not buy speakers I cannot listen to first

2) Often times these mini systems have crossovers set for the speakers and sub (that match). If you are not getting the sub, you are going to need to buy a sub that will allow you to adjust the frequencies manually, which is not a easy task.

Best of luck to you.
The crossover issue is not that big a deal since most (almost all) active subs have adjustable crossovers.

These speakers are not just specific to this system. Klipsch sells all parts of this system seperately as well. As far as the speakers go, these are on the small size which means they should be used in a smaller sized room. My friend has a pair of just the Klipsch quintets left/right speakers and they sounded surprisingly good.

As this is your first speaker purchase I am sure you are going to be happy because whatever you get will be an upgrade over what you have now. Just as a note on Klipsch though, they seem to be a speaker people either love or hate due to the horn loaded drivers. For 250 bucks US, this will make a great starter system at a great price and should provide you alot of enjoyment for your movies. Of course now you will need to get a receiver to power up all ofthese babies

J
Old 12-06-01, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've heard these and they sound fine. Are there better speakers? Absolutely.

But assuming it's $250 for 5 speakers, I doubt you'll find anything else in that price range that will top these. One plus; these speakers are easy to drive and won't tax your receiver.
Old 12-06-01, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

we had some of these at work...the little stands the speakers sit on break/strip really easily, forcing you to try and find replacements. And getting the old stands off with stripped hex screws is a mess in itself
Old 12-07-01, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
The crossover issue is not that big a deal since most (almost all) active subs have adjustable crossovers
I agree that most subs have adjustable crossovers. I disagree that it is not a big deal trying to get it properly adjusted. Better have an SPL meter and alot of demo material if you hope to get it close.