Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

entire picture is slanted

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-01, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

The picture on my Sony Trinitron KV-27V42 tilted to the left. when watching anything on my tv, including cable channels (mostly noticable on channels with scolling info like CNN and Fox news), the picture is tilted. For instance, the right side of the bottom black bar is approx. 2 inches in height but the left side has shrunk to about an inch. same goes for the top black bar.

Does anybody know how I might fix this problem? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-18-01, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it a new set, or did it just happen? What type of tv is that model (projection, regular)? If it's a new tv it could need a convergence done. This may only be for projection/HD sets though. My 65" HDTV arrived slanting down from the left to right. Toshiba sent someone over to do the sysytem menu convergence for me. If it's new or under waraanty call the manufacturer. If it's older & was fine before, is there anything magnetic near the tv?
Old 11-18-01, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I first got my new Wega it also suffered from a similar problem. To fix it, you had to go into the set-up menu and adjust the measurement for horizontal tilt. If your set is recently new, it should also have a similar setting under the menu. Take a look in your manual to see if it does.

If your set does not have this same adjustment, you may need to go into the service mode to do some fine tuning which many times is best left to a technician, especially if your set is still under warranty. I cannot think of any websites off the top of my head but if you do a search here or on the home theater forum you should be able to come up with some web sites that tell you how to do this yourself.

As for the problem itself, it is usually caused by either the set being calibrated incorrectly from the factory, or the magnetic fields of the earth in your area differ from the magnetic fields of the factory where the set was first calibrated.

J