DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

First DVD player and need some help

Old 11-18-01, 09:53 AM

First DVD player and need some help

Hi everyone,

I have just purchased a new XMS 750 DVD player and i am having a bit of trouble.My first question is when watching Top Gun i can hear all the sound effects and noises but cannot hear the voices etc.What settings do i need to activate in the menu.Also the sound level seems rather low.

The Audio is hooked up through my mini HI-FI that has trwo speakers.s do i set the audo on mixed,stereo etc?

Also on Shrek the bootom of the screen near the black line is slightly blurry and flickers.is this normal?

Thanks for your help
Old 11-18-01, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First off....welcome to the forum!

Since your unit is new, I would want to be sure it is functioning properly. So I would avoid connecting to the hifi for now, and try just connecting directly to the audio inputs on your TV and see if the sound comes out properly.

Last edited by Calistoga; 11-18-01 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-18-01, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Almost all of the dialogue will be from a center speaker on a multi speaker set-up. If you are not hearing it but still getting other effects, the center speaker sound is getting lost instead of being diverted to the others. Calistoga gave good advice. Whenever there is a problem first you need to isolate it. Hook everything up to the TV first. The sound might seem low at first but everything should be there. Then hook up the the hi-fi with different settings to see how that works. As far as the video goes, same advice. start with a direct connection. Try other discs and if possible, Shrek in another player and see the results. It is not normal to have the type of flickering you mentioned.
Old 11-19-01, 12:15 AM

Hi steevo,

You may want to visit www.dvdplaza.com.au for Australian-based DVD info (including problems with the XMS750). From memory, the XMS has internal decoders, so you may have it hooked up incorrectly. There is a Shrek R4 problems thread where you can discuss the glitches that have arisen in the Australian version (if you've purchased the R1 like me, here's the best place to raise it).

Hope I hear from you on the Plaza.