DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Infinity HTS20 Surround package

Old 11-07-01, 11:38 AM

Energy Take 5.2 (formerly Infinity HTS20 Surround package)

Anybody have any feedback on the Infinity HTS20 Surround package, especially a good price at an on-line site? I've been considering coupling this with an Onkyo 797/898, and wondered if anybody has this arrangement at home?

Last edited by lberkoski; 11-14-01 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-08-01, 02:29 PM
Premium Member

what price are you getting it for?

I did the mechanical design on the sats when I work there. The center is new useing the same drivers and the sub is based on a very long running product from Infinity (its first year it was the best sell sub in the US).
Old 11-08-01, 04:30 PM

I haven't bought it yet. Interesting, I spent a while reading about it at audioreview.com. Originally the HTS10 was reviewed, which had good remarks but a few complaints about the old center channel and subwoofer. As I understand it, the HTS20 uses the dual center and a better subwoofer, and just about everybody speaks favorably of it.

I'm looking for a decent online price. Circuit City had a sale a few weeks ago (right after the bombings) for $699, and it's now at $749. Based on the reviewers, it's seems like there's got to be a better place to buy it out there, but I haven't been able to find it at the specialty stores Myer Emco/Tweeter doesn't carry Infinity.
Old 11-13-01, 10:53 AM

^bump
Old 11-13-01, 12:54 PM
Premium Member

well at that price there is tons of stuff out there. I would shop some of the products that war not plastic if that still fits what you are looking for. In general I like the wood box over the plastic ones (less vibration coloration from the cabinet)

I would ask people what they would recommend for $750. Take 5 from energy is a big fav but there is just so much out there at this price. If your big on infinity you might want to try an put something together with the Entra line.
Old 11-13-01, 02:00 PM

I had heard of the Energy Take 5 product from a number of forums, but I haven't found a place in Maryland that carry's them. I've purchased my amp via JandR (Onkyo TS-898), so I'm concerned that I won't have had a chance to hear them with the amp I purchased. (Buying it at a local store will simplify returns/exchanges).

Well, If I want to take a chance, anybody have any online recommendations for Energy Take 5s?
Old 11-13-01, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by lberkoski
I had heard of the Energy Take 5 product from a number of forums, but I haven't found a place in Maryland that carry's them. I've purchased my amp via JandR (Onkyo TS-898), so I'm concerned that I won't have had a chance to hear them with the amp I purchased. (Buying it at a local store will simplify returns/exchanges).

Did you try www.energy-speakers.com ?

Here's who they say are authorized dealers for their speakers in Maryland:

SILVER SCREEN & SOUND
8832 ORCHARD TREE LANE
TOWSON, MD 21286
(410) 296-0202

SOUNDWORKS
10526 CONNECTICUT AVE
KENSINGTON, MD 20895
(301) 929-8600

OVERTURE
2423 CONCORD PIKE
WILMINGTON, DE 19803
(302) 478-6050
Old 11-13-01, 03:03 PM

Hey,

Thanks for the URL! I was having trouble figuring it out (I tried "energy" by itself). The connecticut address isn't too far from my office. I'll swing by today.

Given that, anybody have any recommendations on online-sites to purchase from?
I found a recommendation for http://4electronicwarehouse.com/, but haven't found any pricing on the site.

Thanks!
Old 11-13-01, 08:26 PM
Premium Member

The take 5 is a bit of a cult (but still good)

I will tell you from my view (inside the industry) there are many others that are equally as good from many companies. At the entry pricing there is less room for advanced engineering so thinks turn a bit into a commodity. People here will disagree but you can find some good entry systems from the mass market ads. Go a listed to stuff for a day itís a lot of fun and you get more of an idea of how things sound to you. Bring a piece of music and use it at the same level each time.

As for you amp, it will be fine and at this level will not effect sound any where near the speaker choice.

The problem with asking about speakers it is kind of like asking which is better Ford, Chevy, Honda or Toyota. The bias is greater then the facts so I recommend listening first then ask and sift through it all.

Good luck!
Old 11-14-01, 10:34 AM

Yeah, I went from store to store yesterday and checked out a few. I was a little disappointed in the sound from the Infinity HTS20, but it was a really large room at circuit city and they didn't have the setup quite right (they had to try a few different amps before they got it to work). It may not have been fair, but it didn't exactly wow me.

I stopped by a local audio store that did carry the Take 5.2's, but he said that he didn't have it set up right now since he's sold quite a few (not sure if that make's sense). He did quickly pull two out to connect them and I listened to them (in stereo) without the sub, and I thought they sounded much brighter and fuller than the Infinity did (even with just two speakers and no sub!) Unfortunately, he also quoted me a price of $900 for the 5.2 with 8" sub, which seems really high (although he said he would match prices).

I haven't found anybody that carries the PSB Alphas yet, but there were two stores that were closed that I'm going to call.

My situation is that I'm looking for a small sized unit for my HT setup in the basement of my townhouse. It most definitely will not be an optimal room, although I've thought about pulling my pool table out to rearrange things to make it better down the road. Regardless, I'm viewing this as an entry level system I will use for HT only for the three to five years, at which time I will have bought a larger house. At that time, I'd prefer to buy two towers for the mains and keep the other speakers from the set I buy now. (Although that's not definite, and certainly depends on the performance of the current unit).

Also, I have the 898 which has 7.1, which I am not planning on utilizing the back channels immediately until I have a better room setup (although I have a couple of older infinities upstairs I may pull down and connect just to see what it's all about). If I go with my plan, the two packaged mains will become my rear channels.

Ok, so my price range for the initial system would probably be $500-$1000 (I only say $500 because I've seen somepeople get the Take 5's with sub for this price), with my expectation that I'll spend around $700.

I do agree that the Take 5.2 thing is a bit of a cult. I've found one guy in the forum's that devote an entire page to how the JBL NSP-1 is better than the Energy Take 5 (Sounds like a JBL dealer ...). Well, I guess I'll just keep searching ...