DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Velodyne ULD15 - Dual sub set ups

Old 11-13-01, 07:11 PM

Velodyne ULD15 - Dual sub set ups

Has anyone out there experimented or is running two Velodyne ULD15's in their video set-up? Does anyone run a dual sub set up and does it sound differently or do the bass waves cancel themselves out?
Old 11-14-01, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Velodyne ULD15 - Dual sub set ups

Originally posted by audiosam
Has anyone out there experimented or is running two Velodyne ULD15's in their video set-up? Does anyone run a dual sub set up and does it sound differently or do the bass waves cancel themselves out?
I don't use Velodynes in my system, but I have been using a dual sub (not including the built-in subs in my mains and center channel speakers) set-up for a while now, and I love it. Yes, it can be a lot more work involved as far as tweaking things out by placement, eq and calibration, but to me it's worth it. Does it sound 'different'? No. Is there more bass? Yes.
I have seen many people dismiss the idea of multiple subs in the past as 'one is plenty' and 'more then one is overkill', blah, blah...but the fact is, the room you're listening to your movies in makes all the difference in the world. My HT is over 4,000 cubic feet with high ceilings and two large openings in it, and no single sub on the market will put out reference level bass in that room. And if that is your goal, then depending on your room size, multiple subs might be the way to go.
And as far as people who talk about 'overkill'...that's what calibration is for