DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Hum from cable????

Old 11-02-01, 01:12 PM

Hum from cable????

I hooked up cable to my Mitsu WS65908 and the picture ws terrible. I expected this because of the 16x9 screen, but the TV's speakers now hum!!!!!!!!! Quite loudly!! The set is plugged into a Monster 3500. I know it is not the cable because my Sony Direct View is fine(pic and sound)

Also what do most of you 16x9 owners watch cable in??? Standard-stretched-expand-zoom-narrow????

Stretched looks the best besides narrow. But Narrow has those stupid side grey bars. Any formats looks pretty bad.

By the way it is basic service, not digital.
Old 11-02-01, 02:49 PM

Does your cable-box also provide a volume setting? If so, you may have to raise the volume level on the cable-box to match that of the television set. I had a similar problem when they upgraded my cable-box a few years ago, and it took me over an hour to figure it out. Hope this helps!
Old 11-02-01, 06:51 PM

I do not have a cable box. The cable comes out of the wall to the TV. I know it is not the cable because my bedroom set is quiet.
Old 11-05-01, 05:20 PM

Are you getting a 60 cycle hum? If so, try isolating the ground wires of your equipment. Do this by buying a 3-prong to 2-prong adaptor at a hardware store or gracery store (about $2 for a pack of two). I did this on an amplifier and it made the hum go away.
Old 11-05-01, 05:21 PM

Oops...should have said a adaptor for the power plugs. Start with your amplifier and work through the components of your system until you stop hearing the hum.
Old 11-06-01, 12:02 PM

All my components are plugged into a Monster Power 3500. I plugged the cable through it and the hum was reduced. I then used a small tubular filter(was on my other TV) and the sound is almost totally gone. That is weird because the only connection between my HT and TV are the three component cables that join my DVD to my TV. But the sound through the HT speakers was loud as hell!!! Can this be a poor connection in the cable line???
Old 11-07-01, 08:58 PM

Thank you, W8ING4SNO. I've spent many hours trying to eliminate the annoying low level hum in my home theater; the 3 to 2 prong adapter immediately did the trick. .63 at Lowe's.
Old 11-08-01, 02:27 PM

Keep in mind that using this 3-2 adaptor eliminates the ground in the system. No recommended!!! My Monster Power indicates if there is a bad or missing ground. Use the ground there is another way. Get a power conditioner and you can still use your ground plug
Old 11-08-01, 08:24 PM

Since the power strip I'm plugging my amp. into has a ground, I thought I'd be ok.
Old 11-09-01, 12:53 PM

You have a "ground loop"

The 3 to 2 prong adaptor is the easy solution. However (and I am not sure about this) I think the clamping for spikes and surges get "shunted" through to the ground. So, it may not be a good thing to do this for a long time (treat it as a temporary measure.) If you do a search on "ground loop" you can find tons of information out on the 'net and how to rectify it.

Solutions run from brute force (disconnecting every component in your system and then reconnecting them one by one until the hum is heard) to buying very expensive isolation amplifiers. I think I saw one that goes for about $15.

Have fund tracking this down....