DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need help with new tv hookup (WEGA)

Old 11-08-01, 07:08 PM

Need help with new tv hookup (WEGA)

Hey all,

I'm considering buying the Sony KV-32FS13 (32" Wega with bottom speakers) for my den to replace my current burned out TV, but it needs to fit into a large cabinet where the back is inaccessible. I have an old dolby surround system that I'm disinclined to replace for space/cost/effort reasons, and that receiver, along with a vcr, tape player, and laserdisc player, are all hooked up within the cabinet.

When people come to deliver the TV, can I plug in cables (perhaps male/female) to the rear so that I can connect new components more easily when I upgrade in the future? Will I disturb the operation of the TV if for instance I plug in both S-Video and Component cables without a source in the video inputs?

Thanks
Old 11-08-01, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't see any reason why you cannot just leave cables plugged into the television for future upgrades. The only problem I could see is if you switch through the video inputs and the wires from the cables are touching you may get some hum through your televisons speakers if you leave them on for that input.

Probably a better solution for you would be to buy a new receiver (which i know you said you did not want to do) and use that for audio/switching duties, necessitating you run only one video in wire to the television. You are getting a set that has a 16:9 mode giving you great picture quality, so you might as well get the best audio from your DVDs as well. Digital receivers are very affordable nowofdays.

J
Old 11-09-01, 11:57 AM

Go for the FS17 model........

It has picture in picture which you will use, and every place I went to gave it for the same price if you haggle enough. I was gonna get the 36FS 13, but got the 17 for the same price with some haggling.
Old 11-09-01, 01:11 PM

Thanks for the help!