Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Contemplating large widescreen projection TV

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-01, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been looking at widescreen projection TV's, especially a 47" Panasonic (PAN PT47WX49
). I only have approximately 7 - 8 feet between where the TV will sit and from my couch. Is this enough distance to get a good picture or should I look into a large tube TV? Thanks.
Old 10-25-01, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Is that 7-8 feet from the wall to your sitting position?

Most projection TVs are going to stick out pretty far. For example the screen on my Mitsubishi projection TV is 2 feet 5 inches from the wall. So even if the 47" TV sticks out 2 feet from the wall you are going to be cutting it close with your viewing distance.
Old 10-25-01, 06:13 PM

I think palebluedot's right. If your at 7-8 feet from the wall, then you're going to probably be at less than 5 feet from the display. Certainly, if this is the case I wouldn't consider going much beyond the 47" display. And then you might find that the only thing watchable is either progressive DVD or HDTV. Anything else will probably be too low res and noisy to enjoy at that distance.

But ... if you're talking about 7-8 feet from the screen, then that's different. I sit about 9' from my 55", and I'm with it (ok. Truth be told, I'm with it). On good source like DVD, etc - I'm sure I could enjoy it at 7'-8' pretty easily. This one's easy to check out at a store. Most of them will have a (poorly adjusted) HDTV signal on the sets. Try them out at the distance you'll be watching from. Watch for a while if you can.

See if you can get the salesman to get a lower res signal hooked up - like cable or DSS. Watch again.

Last edited by Janitor; 10-25-01 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-25-01, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by Janitor
*snip*
Most of them will have a (poorly adjusted) HDTV signal on the sets.
*snip*
Ackkk! A boo boo. My bad.

Meant "Most of them will have an HDTV signal on the (poorly adjusted) sets."

For penance, I'll watch a non anamorphic transfer tonight.
Old 10-25-01, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had about 8.5' eyeball to screen on a 55" Mitsubishi. Movies weren't bad but general TV watching was pretty annoying. The TV also stuck out into the room over 2' and I didn't like how it looked. I ended up cutting a whole in the wall and building the TV it's own enclave which gave me 2 more feet of viewing distance and more floor space. Several people have told me they went with a 65" with about 8' but I don't see how they can do it. If it was a dedicated home theater and you were only watching high quality signal I'd say go for it. But for a family room type setting where you might be watching a variety of sources, I'd go a little smaller. My Uncle has a 36" SONY about 7 feet away and it looks pretty durn good.
Old 10-25-01, 11:29 PM

I will be sitting approximately 7 - 8 feet from the screen, if that helps the opinions any.
Old 10-26-01, 06:01 AM

A lot of how large a screen you'll be able to tolerate at any given distance, depends on just how you're going to use the set. JimRochester touched on this in his post (a couple up from here).

If you're (like me) going to watch primarily progressive DVD or (unlike me ) HDTV on this set, then I don't think that 7-8 feet from a 55" is too much. If you're going to be watching a lot of cable or ota programming, then a 47" may indeed be a bit on the large side for the distance.

Sorry I've no set answer on this. I don't think anyone will. Certainly, there's "formula" out there based on width of the screen, etc. But that doesn't take into account what you'll be watching. The picture on these displays from a progressive DVD or HDTV is so good, that you can sit fairly close and get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

The picture from your rooftop antenna or cable can be so bad that 9' from a 47" may seem to be too close.

One of the advantages of the HDTV displays is that the resolution is so high. That, and we tend to get largish screens. With a good signal (like DVD), that resolution pays off in a clear bright display with no visible scan lines, etc. But these sets will also be merciless in the way they resolve any noise or artifacts on the input signals. "Crap" (I love technical talk, don't you?) that you never noticed on your 27" direct view SDTV, will jump right out at you when you resolve it cleanly and blow it up to a 47" (or larger) display.

After you decide how you'll be using the set, I still recommend that you go to a shop, maybe when they're not so busy, and try watching a set from 7'-8' for a while. We all see things differently, and we're all bothered by different issues in the display.
Old 10-26-01, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When I was renovating my room, I watched Die Hard III from about 4 ft away. It was fine, nice clear picture and like sitting in the front row of a movie theater. But you also have to take into account perspective. That is the lower numerical ratio, the closer you'll be to the action. 1.33 will feel alot closer than a 2.35 movie. So the ratio you like to watch is something else to consider besides the source.