DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Subwoofer problem

Old 10-16-01, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Subwoofer problem

I have a JBL 10" powered subwoofer. The other day it started making these crackling sounds like there was electrical interference. It was in stand-by at the time. Anyway I tried doing several things like unplugging everything else that was also using the powebar and even plugging it directly into the wall. The intermitent crackling interference sound persisted so I just unplugged it. Tonight I popped in The Phantom Menace and plugged back in the subwoofer so I could hear the pod-race, etc. Instead, anytime there was deep base the subwoofer just crackled.

So I unplugged it and disconnected it. I flipped it over (it is downward firing) and physically examined the subwoofer to see if it had somehow gotten torn or damaged. It looks fine. So I moved it across the room to a different location and outlet. I reconnected it from there. Same problem. I then decided to unscrew and remove the sub. The connection looked fine to the sub. I plugged it back in with the sub sitting on top of the case (still wired as normal) and reconnected the cable. Couldn't even get it to receive the signal. I unplugged the sub and got a very loud popping noise. I then screwed the sub back in with only 2 of the screws and plugged it in and hooked it back up. Still no signal receive at all and no static sound. I then decided I'd try and remove the little panel where the cable connects in and all the settings run off of. Eighty-thousand screws later I removed the panel and found it has a fuse on it. I'm hoping that maybe the fuse is just burned out. Anyone with more knowledge think that's a possibility or does it sound like something else? Is the sub just fubar?
Old 10-17-01, 10:19 AM

I know exactly what you are talking about. Same thing happened to my PB12. I left on vacation for a week and a half. When I got home and switched on my sub, POOF! It made a loud, deep sound and then went out. It was completely dead. Luckily it was still under warrenty so I took it to a local JBL repair guy. He know just what the problem was. If you look inside where the fuse is, there is a module. He said these modules have a habit of burning out and blowing the fuse. He told me the module needed to be replaced.

Unfortunately, my sub has been sitting in his shop (with 5 other JBLsubs that are burnt out too) since August! He has been having trouble getting the parts from JBL.

If yours is under warrenty, I suggest taking it in. If not, good luck :-).
Old 10-17-01, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I doubt it's under warranty. I've had it for almost two years. I can't find anywhere on JBL's site, or vendor's for that matter, that list warranty info. I assume it just carried a 1 year warranty.

I found the number of the local authorized repair shop. Perhaps I can get an estimate and figure out if it's worth repairing or I should readjust my Christmas list.
Old 10-18-01, 02:39 AM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you can't get it fixed, pick you up a new JBL Sub on ubid.com (where I got my 10" JBL for $69). It works great, refurb.

http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage...tionId=5894119

That's exactly like the one I have, and the price is the same too.
Old 10-18-01, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have heard that a bunch of people have had problems with the amplifiers in JBL's powered subs
sorry to hear it

If you do, choose to look into a new sub, I'd recommend looking at Velodynes. My neighbors hate mine
Old 10-19-01, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by wiz
If you can't get it fixed, pick you up a new JBL Sub on ubid.com (where I got my 10" JBL for $69). It works great, refurb.

http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage...tionId=5894119

That's exactly like the one I have, and the price is the same too.
I did this tonight and got one for $79 plus shipping. Hopefully they've fixed the problems when it was refurb'd. This model has pretty poor reviews on Audioreview. Most indicate that the amp craps out. Hopefully the refurb will have gotten a more solid fix...who knows.

I bought a new fuse for my other one and it now receives a signal but something is still messed up. I assume it's the module that primalurg spoke of. I'm going to get an estimate from the local shop. I wanted two subs for when I got a house anyway. Hopefully I can get the old one repair cost effectively. Some people on Audioreview spoke of doing it themselves with parts from Radioshack. Then I'll have a downward firing and a front firing
Old 10-19-01, 12:23 PM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Nefarious

I did this tonight and got one for $79 plus shipping. Hopefully they've fixed the problems when it was refurb'd. This model has pretty poor reviews on Audioreview. Most indicate that the amp craps out. Hopefully the refurb will have gotten a more solid fix...who knows.

I bought a new fuse for my other one and it now receives a signal but something is still messed up. I assume it's the module that primalurg spoke of. I'm going to get an estimate from the local shop. I wanted two subs for when I got a house anyway. Hopefully I can get the old one repair cost effectively. Some people on Audioreview spoke of doing it themselves with parts from Radioshack. Then I'll have a downward firing and a front firing
Not sure what was happening with your sub, never heard of that happening. It could be that your amp crapped out and thus you're not getting any power to drive your sub. My 10' JBL has been working great, and I normally watch a movie a day, and it will definitely pump out the bass (enough that the neighbors above me have complained...hah)

Good luck.