Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

TECH qUESTION PLEASE (Player won't read discs)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

TECH qUESTION PLEASE (Player won't read discs)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-01, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TECH qUESTION PLEASE

Posted the following in HT forum & not one person replied...
hope you don't mind me taking it to a broader audience
Thanx

Hey ,

My 4 year old PROSCAN deck that has always been flawless is acting up on me.
The problem is that when I put in a disc & the tray closes it immediatly says NO DISC

I have to keep opening & closing, powering down & up several times before it actually starts to spin & read the disc..... it's getting worse.

I paln on replacing it with a slimline SONY (my deck ist he only piece of my HT that ISN"T SONY)someday, but I'd hate to do it right now if I don't have to.

A friend says I need to get one of those DISKWASHER systems because the eye is dirty & it can't' read the DVD....

I have always thought that was hype & un-needed crap....but if it will solve my problem It's a good fix right now.

So , any idea what the problem might be & do you think that the disc cleaner might work??

thank ya!
Old 10-19-01, 01:45 PM

It could be dirty and having it cleaned might work....Or there could be something wrong with the hardware. Get it cleaned and if that doesnt work....Its time for a new player.
Old 10-19-01, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't find your post at HTF, but here you have both posted in the wrong forum and your topic is a turn off to most because it's nondescript... Perhaps no one responded there for similar reasons

While it's possible that your lens is dirty (not eye), I believe there are known issues regarding this. Did you search at HTF? I'm pretty sure you'd find some info... Some previous posts there suggest unplugging the unit for a while, which may 'reset' the player and has remedied this problem for some folks.

If your space is very dusty, then you might assume that the lens may be too, and clean it. Otherwise, it sounds software or mechanical related. Of course, if your discs are obviously dirty, clean them first.

Anyway, try posting in the hardware forum.
Old 10-19-01, 01:59 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by reverb
[B]I can't find your post at HTF, but here you have both posted in the wrong forum and your topic is a turn off to most because it's nondescript... Perhaps no one responded there for similar reasons

>>WELL, it's posted & got no replies... my topic is nondescript & a turnoff????? It's a >>pretty straighforward quick & simple question reverb...I don't see your point..but >>don't bother telling me as a back & forth is more of a turnoff.

While it's possible that your lens is dirty (not eye), I believe there are known issues regarding this. Did you search at HTF? I'm pretty sure you'd find some info... Some previous posts there suggest unplugging the unit for a while, which may 'reset' the player and has remedied this problem for some folks.

>>>I've already tried the unplug/reset bit a few times..

If your space is very dusty, then you might assume that the lens may be too, and clean it. Otherwise, it sounds software or mechanical related. Of course, if your discs are obviously dirty, clean them first.

My discs are mint, thank you very much ; - ) >
Old 10-19-01, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by J.F.SEBASTION
I don't see your point
I see that. And I will respond.

Your topic is absolutely not straightforward nor to the point. It's utterly vague. If every question posted in the hardware forum was titled "tech question please", it would be a maddening and disfunctional place. Analogy - questions in this forum titled "dvd question please". Peruse others headings for examples.

I've already tried the unplug/reset bit a few times'..
You didn't previously state that, you only said you turned it on and off. Make sure you leave it unplugged for a while though. I mention this again because, as I said, there are posts at HTF regarding your exampl problem where this is recommended.

My discs are mint, thank you very much
Your welcome. I didn't suggest they weren't.

Everything in my original post was advice, not bashing. But since your not receptive to advice, why post? I was trying to help you, sans kid gloves...

Perhaps a mod will move this to the approriate forum

Last edited by reverb; 10-19-01 at 02:44 PM.