Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Question: Sony Wega

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-01, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question: Sony Wega

I am looking to upgrade my current 32" Sony TV to a Wega model and I am willing to spend between $800 and $1200. I would like the model to support progressive scan. I would also like a model that has a widescreen aspect ratio, although I have seen a 16:9 mode available on certain models, but I am not too certain as too what this implies. Is there any Sony player on the market that meets my criteria? Thanks!
Old 10-08-01, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Question: Sony Wega

Originally posted by mijang
I am looking to upgrade my current 32" Sony TV to a Wega model and I am willing to spend between $800 and $1200. I would like the model to support progressive scan. I would also like a model that has a widescreen aspect ratio, although I have seen a 16:9 mode available on certain models, but I am not too certain as too what this implies. Is there any Sony player on the market that meets my criteria? Thanks!
There is not really anything on the market that meets your criteria in your price range. All Wega now do a 16:9 mode which allows you to have the full resolution available on a DVD on a 4:3 screen. None of the Wega that cost between 800-1200 dollars are 16:9 ratio sets or do progresive scan though.

If you step up to the XBR line, which will cost you around 2000 for a set, it will do progressive scan, but will still be only a 4:3 aspect ratio television.

Sony does make a set with all the features you are looking for, widescreen and progressive capable, but it will run you 4000 dollars and that seems a bit out of yor price range.

Have you considered going the RPTV route. You can probably pick up a widescreen 40" set that does progressive scan for about 1700 if you find a good deal.

You are facing the same problem alot of us have to deal with. We want widescreen direct view sets but the prices are just too expensive at this point. Hopefully in the next couple of years the prices will fall as the HDTV roll out gets closer.

J
Old 10-08-01, 02:57 PM

As far as I remember, the only sony direct view tv with a 16:9 aspect ratio is the wega 34"-then you get into the RPTVs-and all are out of your price range. The XBRs and the FV27/32/36 all have a 16:9 mode. They are all 4:3 aspect ratio, but when you play a 16:9 anamorphic dvd, it concentrates all of the resolution to the region of the screen where the picture is being displayed-so you don't waste any resolution reproducing those annoying black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. While it is pretty impressive, it still doesn't look as good as filling the screen up like you would with a real widescreen.