Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Best DVD player under $200?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-01, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My gf is looking for one. I checked pricescan.com and seems to be some good deals but was checking which one is the best out there. She doesn't have a HT setup and her TV only has an S-video plug. Thanks
Old 10-06-01, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
The Pioneer DV-434 is the best player for the money IMO. $159 at Costco Warehouse and it plays DVDs, VCDs, SVCDs, and SxVCDs with higher quality than I've seen on a consumer player.

I highly recommend avoiding: Apex, Oritron, Lasonic, Fisher, most Toshiba models, and Sony.
Old 10-07-01, 08:14 PM

RP56 for $205

U can get Panasonic RP56 with progressive scan for
$205 + 6 dollar shipping at J&R (call and haggle).....

...i second sracer: stay away from those brands......
Old 10-07-01, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Panasonic RP-56 is the best choice if you need a progressive scan player.

If not, the Pioneer DV-343 is a great player. Great picture quality and plays VCD, CD-R, CW-RW, DVD-R. It's $130(140-10 coupon)at Amazon with FREE shipping. Hit the Amazon link at the top of the page.
Old 10-08-01, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But doesnt the Pioneer have the Chroma bug? I hear Panasonic are the best ones. What B&M has the Panny 56 or the 91 models?? I cant seem to find them.
Old 10-08-01, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by ILikeDVD
But doesnt the Pioneer have the Chroma bug? I hear Panasonic are the best ones. What B&M has the Panny 56 or the 91 models?? I cant seem to find them.
BestBuy.com has the Panny 56 for $229.
CircuitCity.com has it for $249.
Usually the B&M prices are the same. If not, you can get whichever is lower at the B&M.
Old 10-08-01, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

sorry, but I still think the sony players perform the best... and if there is no HT setup, the decoders are worthless since when you get one the receiver will have them...
Old 10-08-01, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I recommend the Aiwa DV370. It plays DVD, mp3 and several of the various CD formats. I've had it for 6 months now and haven't had the first problem. It plays DVDs flawlessly and the other formats pretty well. I picked it up at CC for a little over $200 but since then I've seen it at several places, including CC, for around $179. You might have to search though since I think it's been discontinued.

BTW, a good place to check user comments on electronic products is www.consumerreview.com . It's where I learned about the Aiwa.

Definitely avoid the Oritron at all costs. I've noticed the single player they've put out popping up all over the place for around $90. Don't be suckered by what looks like a great deal. From what I understand, it has a severe circuit design flaw that can often lead to a fatal instruction loop in the unit. And there doesn't seem to be a repair facility to send it back to any longer.

Last edited by JesseCuster; 10-08-01 at 04:39 PM.