Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

$99 DAEWOO in Sam's Club

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

$99 DAEWOO in Sam's Club

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-01, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$99 DAEWOO in Sam's Club

Hi,

I was looking for a fairly cheap second DVD player for my bedroom. I've seen the occassional APEX advertised, but I've also recently seen a $99 DAEWOO in Sam's Club. Does anyone have any experience with this player, good or bad?

Thanks,

Len
Old 07-25-01, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Daewoo is Korean for "crap".

I would go with the Apex for a cheap one. Or you could look for an open box deal on a better player at Best Buy or Circuit City
Old 07-25-01, 10:28 AM
SEH

I thought you meant one of the cars
Old 07-25-01, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by SEH
I thought you meant one of the cars
No, the car is $199.
Old 07-26-01, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i think apex is crap in another language, a $100 dvd player is a $100 dvd player, but i do agree i would go with apex since they have been in the dvd game longer.
Old 07-26-01, 04:24 PM
SEH

Wait... $99 for a dvd player AND a car?
Old 08-21-01, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Don't know if any of you know about this, but the Daewoo has PAL/NTSC conversion built in (just like the APEX) and has a region switching ability. I got one for my parents (so they can watch their British comedies on DVD). Plays great, and no chipping or firmware upgrade necessary, just a few simple button pushes.

Last edited by Lampei; 08-21-01 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-02-01, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 363 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally posted by Lampei
Don't know if any of you know about this, but the Daewoo has PAL/NTSC conversion built in (just like the APEX) and has a region switching ability. I got one for my parents (so they can watch their British comedies on DVD). Plays great, and no chipping or firmware upgrade necessary, just a few simple button pushes.
Does anyone know if the Daewoo 3000N from Sam's Club (black model manufactured date june 2001) can be region hacked with the remote?

My local Sam's Club has a lot of these models in stock but I want to make sure before I buy one. I thought I read some where only the silver models manufactured before June 2001 can be hacked with the remote.

Kahuna
Old 10-02-01, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by kahuna

Does anyone know if the Daewoo 3000N from Sam's Club (black model manufactured date june 2001) can be region hacked with the remote?

My local Sam's Club has a lot of these models in stock but I want to make sure before I buy one. I thought I read some where only the silver models manufactured before June 2001 can be hacked with the remote.

Kahuna
I bought my parents one of these little babies from Sam's a couple of months back (after the June 2001 date, probably Mid August) and it has region hacking with the remote. Just follow the steps on the link a couple of replies up. Like it says on that page, not every unit will work like that, but it seems that most of them will. The one I bought for my parents worked great
Old 10-02-01, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bought my parents one of these little babies from Sam's a couple of months back (after the June 2001 date, probably Mid August) and it has region hacking with the remote. Just follow the steps on the link a couple of replies up. Like it says on that page, not every unit will work like that, but it seems that most of them will. The one I bought for my parents worked great
So you have one of the black models right? I checked the dispaly model at my local Sam's and it was a black model that said it was manufactured June 2001. I just want to make sure before I buy one.

Kahuna
Old 10-02-01, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yup, the black model. And if it doesn't work, just take it back I was going to go back and buy another one for myself. Check out this place for some more info on it.
Old 10-02-01, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yup, the black model. And if it doesn't work, just take it back I was going to go back and buy another one for myself. Check out this place for some more info on it.
Thanks for the info I will head over to Sam's tomorrow morning and pick one up. I just want one so I can play the region 3 korean dvds I have or plan to buy in the near future.

Kahuna

Last edited by kahuna; 10-02-01 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-02-01, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

my parents use it to watch all of the British comedies they used to like to watch. They just don't seem to want to make Only Fools and Horses a region 1 disc (too much cockney in it I guess )
Old 10-02-01, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I picked one up on Sunday for the MP3 capability. Shuffle and fast forward. Check out the thread about the APEX player from a few days ago. For 99 bucks it works for me.
Old 10-04-01, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I brought 2 of these models in the past 2 days. One with a serial # starting with C16A and one with C15A and both would not work when trying to hack the code from the remote or dvd player itself. In fact it looks like the 20 or boxes thave left have been open at one time by someone else. All look like they have been retaped up. So I guess I am out of luck for now.

Kahuna
Old 10-04-01, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They've also got them available on the website, www.samsclub.com Don't know if you'll fare better there or not.
Old 10-05-01, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They've also got them available on the website, www.samsclub.com Don't know if you'll fare better there or not.
Unfortunately they as well as Costco online to not shtp to Hawaii or Alaska.

So I am screwed finding one of these.

Kahuna
Old 10-08-01, 04:28 PM

At Sams I saw units that had serial numbers starting with CG15A and CG15D. I bought the A one but haven't opened it up.

For those of you that have a "good" player:

What serial numbers are on your machines? It may help when figuring out which ones have the ability to turn off Macrovision.
Old 10-08-01, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DrCaligari
At Sams I saw units that had serial numbers starting with CG15A and CG15D. I bought the A one but haven't opened it up.

For those of you that have a "good" player:

What serial numbers are on your machines? It may help when figuring out which ones have the ability to turn off Macrovision.
Just open it up and see it the remote hack. What do you have to lose you can always take it back. I heard the CG15A works but infortunately the one I picked up did not.

Let us know what happens.

Kahuna