Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking for Recommend on Component Cables

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-01, 10:10 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for a decent set of component cables...can someone suggest a name, model, whatever, and about how much I should expect to spend. They are for DVD to TV. Thanks.
Old 08-28-01, 10:54 PM
Cool New Member

monster cable. Monster video 2, about 75 bucks.
Old 08-29-01, 12:39 AM
Cool New Member

I had my JVC player connected to my Wega using some 15 year old DiscWasher cables using the component connections. I decided to upgrade to component Monster cable. In all honesty, I really can't see a difference. But, I'd probably still buy the monster cable. At least it gives you the peace of mind you have the best.
Old 08-29-01, 01:53 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks...I notice that on the connections on the back of the DVD the S-Vid. is clearly either connected to the Audio 1 output or there are 2 S-Vid's ...1 for each of 2 audio outputs. What about the component video output...What audio output is that related to ?? Thanks.
Old 08-29-01, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i think these AR cables are just as good as monster for $45 http://www.avconnect.com/
Old 08-29-01, 08:48 AM

Originally posted by Michael P
I had my JVC player connected to my Wega using some 15 year old DiscWasher cables using the component connections. I decided to upgrade to component Monster cable. In all honesty, I really can't see a difference. But, I'd probably still buy the monster cable. At least it gives you the peace of mind you have the best.
Monster cables are--by far--not the best. Similar to everyone's favorite speakers (Bose), their strength lies in marketing, not design. Try Kimber's if you can find them, they are much better, and you actually get what you pay for.
Old 08-29-01, 11:18 AM

Everyone will have his/her own favorites. I happen to like Vampire. I got them through my favorite local a/v store, and I don't remember how much (I replaced ALL of my cabling at the same time).
Old 08-29-01, 05:08 PM

I use a set of cables I bought at Rex. They cost me
14.99 (plus tax, of course).
I have the running from a prog. scan RCA dvd player to
my VVega and the picture is beautiful. Also tried my
buddies Monster set, to settle a bet. Couldn`t tell
a lick of difference.
Old 08-29-01, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by King Slender

Monster cables are--by far--not the best. Similar to everyone's favorite speakers (Bose), their strength lies in marketing, not design. Try Kimber's if you can find them, they are much better, and you actually get what you pay for.
everybody bashes monster but they have the most advanced technology and spend the most R&D over anybody! They also have the most patents on speaker wire technology. Yes you pay, but you pay for quality.
Old 08-29-01, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Kman1011
everybody bashes monster but they have the most advanced technology and spend the most R&D over anybody! They also have the most patents on speaker wire technology. Yes you pay, but you pay for quality.
that's what people say about bose too
i'm sure there are a lot of products just as good if not better than monster but if you don't know jack squat about anything and you're unwilling to try other stuff out monster might just be the best for you. you know it will most probably be good stuff vs. something else you're not sure of something i can agree with too since i have monster cables as well
Old 08-29-01, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

audioquest makes a decent cable as well.
I can't remember the model name, but it's around $60.
You can get them at soundcity.com or audioadvisor.com
Old 08-29-01, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by john99
Thanks...I notice that on the connections on the back of the DVD the S-Vid. is clearly either connected to the Audio 1 output or there are 2 S-Vid's ...1 for each of 2 audio outputs. What about the component video output...What audio output is that related to ?? Thanks.
I'm no expert but I think you are mixing up audio and video connections. S-video or component video outputs are used to hook the DVD player to your TV (but if the receiver has video switching one can hook it up to that instead). The audio outputs from the DVD player go to the receiver that controls the stereo or surround sound system. The audio connections can be optical cable, coax or regular stereo type audio wires with RCA plugs if one is just using a stereo system rather than DD or dts 5.1 decoding.

S-video uses a cable with a special plug at each end. Component video uses cable(s) with several plugs. Component video is thought to give the best picture (because it breaks up the video signal into more of its basic "components" than S-video does) but only modern and fairly high end TVs have the necessary input jacks. Neither of these connections has anything to do with audio so far as I am aware. I presume that someone will correct me if I am wrong about that.

Edit:
I will make one clarification of my own: If one does not have a separate sound system and wants to use the TV speakers, one can hook up the DVD player audio output directly to a TV with audio-in connectors (RCA plugs).

Last edited by lizard; 08-29-01 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-29-01, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally posted by King Slender
I wouldn't go that far. Unlike Bose, Monster Cable sells quality products. True, there are better cables out there, some of which are a lot cheaper - but buying Monster Cables is not a mistake, while buying Bose speakers is.
Old 08-30-01, 04:03 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks Lizard....Yes I am talking about hooking up just to a TV....no sound system....What I am saying is this: When you hook up this way you watch your DVD on the video input channel (usually one of two, eg. AV1, AV2)...If you use regular RCA jacks to do this, there will be one for Vid, one for L. Aud and one for R. Aud. If you use S-Vid then that replaces the Vid. but it is usually tied to AV1 or there are 2 S-Vid's, one for each. My question is, if you use Component Video does that work the same way...ie. is it tied to AV1...doesn't seem to be marked and there is only one set so it can't be both ...I would think. Thanks. John
Old 08-30-01, 04:06 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Mayday
I use a set of cables I bought at Rex. They cost me
14.99 (plus tax, of course).
I have the running from a prog. scan RCA dvd player to
my VVega and the picture is beautiful. Also tried my
buddies Monster set, to settle a bet. Couldn`t tell
a lick of difference.
You wouldn't have a brand name on them would you. Thanks.
Old 08-30-01, 11:44 AM

You wouldn't have a brand name on them would you. Thanks.
They are Recoton. 6' component cables.
back of the package lists a website: www.recoton.com

Adam

Update:
I was just at the website, and here are the stores they
list to buy them at:

ABC WAREHOUSE
BOSCOVS
FRED MEYER INC
FRYS ELECTRONICS,INC
P C RICHARD
REX TV
SEARS ROEBUCK AND CO
VIDEO ONLY

Last edited by Mayday; 08-30-01 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-30-01, 02:44 PM

You can also make them yourself. Cheaper and better than 90% of the crap out there. Just go to audioasylum.com and then the cableasylum portion of their forums. Basically get some good connectors (Cardas, etc.) and some good cable (Belden 1505A, 1694 or 95A, etc.) and then learn to crimp or solder. It's not that hard.

Also try this site for some good links for DIY projects. Go to the home theatre section and then follow the DIY links.

http://www.geocities.com/m_churches/
Old 08-30-01, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Lizard....Yes I am talking about hooking up just to a TV....no sound system....What I am saying is this: When you hook up this way you watch your DVD on the video input channel (usually one of two, eg. AV1, AV2)...If you use regular RCA jacks to do this, there will be one for Vid, one for L. Aud and one for R. Aud. If you use S-Vid then that replaces the Vid. but it is usually tied to AV1 or there are 2 S-Vid's, one for each. My question is, if you use Component Video does that work the same way...ie. is it tied to AV1...doesn't seem to be marked and there is only one set so it can't be both ...I would think. Thanks. John
I don't have component video on my TV but if you only have one set of connections it seems very likely that it is hooked up to either A/V1 OR A/V2. Try testing it? My (only) S-video hookup is linked to my A/V1. If you have an S-video connection hooked up to A/V1, as I do, it would seem most useful if your component video inputs were hooked up to A/V2 (or vice versa). But who knows how they design these things?

Using component video inputs (once you figure out which input it is hooked up to) you will only need to use the two audio connections (red, white) and not the video in connection (yellow), as you suggested.

That's the best I can do; I use a separate sound system so I have never had to fuss with the audio stuff.
Old 08-30-01, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I used the technique described here and made my own co-ax cables for component video and digital coax.
Old 09-02-01, 11:08 PM

I went to Target to snatch up the $19.99 GE component video cables and I'm not sure what to make of it. They've got gold plated tips and seem well made. The colors are little better, but I find my cheap S-video cable provides a better, sharper picture. What gives? I went from a really cheap S-video to component (albeit also fairly cheap) cables and it's worse?
Old 09-03-01, 06:51 PM

Silver Serpents at Better Cables

The clarity is great. Got them running from my Toshiba SD 3209 to my Toshiba 36A60 and I swear I was watching the movie on my DVD Rom on my PC.
Old 09-04-01, 08:05 AM

Kinky, that's a great site for learning how to do crimps. I used it when I was hooking up my satellite. Used all Canare tools and connectors on Belden cable. Haven't tried crimps on my audio yet. I've been using Cardas which require soldering. There's been some negative discussion on the benefits of using "true" 75 Ohm connectors for audio IC's. However for cable/satellite signal that's the way you should go (Canare).