Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help On Pro Logic II / Component In Receiver?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-01, 02:10 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a new Home Theater receiver for a basement system. I don't need anything top end, but I would like one with the new Pro Logic II chip and with component in / out for connection to a Sony Wega.

I see that Denon and Onkyo both have receivers with these features, but they start at around $800. The Kenwood VR-509 has the features, and sells for $400 or less. I have owned Denon and Onkyo, but I've never dealt with Kenwood.

I would appreciate any thoughts on the Kenwood line, or any other brand of receiver that meets my needs. The Pro Logic II chip is pretty new right now, so I'm assuming others will have receivers with the chip shortly.

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-27-01, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

any particular reason you want to have the component video switching in your receiver?
I run mine direct to the set, which works just fine.

added:
You're definitely better off IMO going with an onkyo or denon. The quality of the componentry is undoubtedly better in their units.

Last edited by edclem; 08-27-01 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-27-01, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

1 of two scenarios is likely.

1. Your TV set has plenty of video inputs.
2. Your TV set is smaller/older is which case S-Video should be plenty good.
Old 08-28-01, 08:05 AM
Cool New Member

The TV is a new Sony KV36HS20, which has two sets of component inputs. I guess I'll have to weigh the advantage of using the receiver to control the audio and video source versus the savings of getting a receiver without component inputs.

edclem, I have another post asking if it will be a step down replacing my Denon AVR-3200 with a Denon AVR-1802. I would gain DTS and Pro Logic II, but I want to be sure I'm not losing something in the bargain. Are you familiar with these receivers?

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-28-01, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jeff W
The TV is a new Sony KV36HS20, which has two sets of component inputs. I guess I'll have to weigh the advantage of using the receiver to control the audio and video source versus the savings of getting a receiver without component inputs.
Exactly. I would recommend not sacrificing a lot of audio quality for a little convenience.

edclem, I have another post asking if it will be a step down replacing my Denon AVR-3200 with a Denon AVR-1802. I would gain DTS and Pro Logic II, but I want to be sure I'm not losing something in the bargain. Are you familiar with these receivers?

Thanks for the help!
Denon has two plants for making receivers. One produces the 2800 series and up. Another one makes the 1600 and 1800 series. I really prefer the receivers from the first plant. Much better sound and power IMO. I'm not really familiar with the Denon AVR-3200. I know some things about the 3300 that I believe replaced it.

Bottom line:

The MSRP (according to audioreview) of the AVR-3200 was $1200. If you drop to a $400 receiver you will notice the difference all around. There are some receivers in the middle you should consider though.

Onkyo TX-DS696 Retail Price $799 (Online Price $599)

This receiver has component video switching, preamp outputs, and plenty of power.

Others are the Outlaw Audio 1050 and the Denon 2802.
Old 08-28-01, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

skar's advice sounds good to me