Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question With Playstation 2 Hookup With Dvd

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 08-27-01, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a ps2 but i want to hook it up to a stereo that has an aux input for "surround sound" is there any way i can do that because my tv doesn't have a/v inputs. please help me out. i can't hook it into the vcr cause of that macrovision stuff. let me know. thanks
Old 08-27-01, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Question With Playstation 2 Hookup With Dvd

Originally posted by crow121
i have a ps2 but i want to hook it up to a stereo that has an aux input for "surround sound" is there any way i can do that because my tv doesn't have a/v inputs. please help me out. i can't hook it into the vcr cause of that macrovision stuff. let me know. thanks
What kind of inputs does your TV have? Does your stereo do video switching?
Old 08-27-01, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i am assuming that you are using a coax cable from your vcr to your mono tv and then plugging your ps2 into the vcr via rca jacks. Assuming all my assumptions are correct your best bet would be to get a universal rf adapter like

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/quaindinc/dvdsterrfmod.html

using the standard RCA cables from your ps2 plug the video into the RF Modulator and the audio into the stereo...

Tell us what kind of inputs your have and we can help you more.
Old 08-27-01, 06:19 PM

the tv only has the coax cable. i have the vcr plugged into the tv with the coax cable and the ps2 into the vcr with the rca cables. the games work find but the dvd doesn't cause of the macrovision. the stereo has the aux inputs. so please help me out with any suggestions so i don't have to buy a receiver or a new tv. i also have the adapter for the ps2 that will plug into the tv with the coax input.
Old 08-27-01, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You have to get the DVD video stream from your PS2 to your TV somehow. The VCR doesn't help, it sounds like your stereo lacks video inputs, so your only option is coax to the TV. Can the PS2 output both coax and composite at once? If so you could hook the coax up to the TV, turn the volume on the TV down, and run just the audio inputs into the stereo. Otherwise I think you are stuck with the TV speakers.
Old 08-28-01, 10:50 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by skar
You have to get the DVD video stream from your PS2 to your TV somehow. The VCR doesn't help, it sounds like your stereo lacks video inputs, so your only option is coax to the TV. Can the PS2 output both coax and composite at once? If so you could hook the coax up to the TV, turn the volume on the TV down, and run just the audio inputs into the stereo. Otherwise I think you are stuck with the TV speakers.
I'd suggest getting a switch box. The PS2 and VCR could both
go into that, the video out could go into the TV, and the audio
outs into the stereo.

==Jake
Old 08-28-01, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by kesinger

I'd suggest getting a switch box. The PS2 and VCR could both
go into that, the video out could go into the TV, and the audio
outs into the stereo.

==Jake
But the TV lacks a composite video input. Unless you know of a switch that converts composite to coax.
Old 08-28-01, 12:07 PM
Cool New Member

Go to radioshack and get an RF Modulator. then plug the video wire from the ps2 into it, the two audio wires into your stereo and plug the RF Modulator into your TV through the Coax jack.