Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DVD Secrets Shootout Results Posted!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-01, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are this years results. A must read if you are in the market for a progressive player:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...-2-8-2001.html

Looks like the Sage/Faroudja deinterlacing chipset is the way to go.

The new Phillips Q50 looks like the winner.

The Skyworth is close behind and is, "Given the price, it is a great bargain."

The Malta, which uses the Mediamatics chipset, is recommended for it's "excellent PAL to NTSC conversion". However, if you don't need this conversion capability, at this price point the Skyworth is much better at handling interlaced material because of its Sage chipset.
Old 08-20-01, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Nice post, thanks.

I have been very happy with my Sony NS 700P. I am pleased to see that they agree as the chroma bug is not an issue for me.
Old 08-20-01, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish they'd spend more time reviewing the actual player, features, quality, etc, than just polling how they do at various disc glitches which represents far less than 1% of what the player will actually be processing.
Old 08-21-01, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeraden,
That's because every other review in magazines and websites will take care of that aspect. Want someone to tell you a player looks really good with "The Fifth Element" or "Gladiator", then there are a ton of reviews out there to do that. Why do we need another review to do the same?

And what's with other reviews telling us how good a player sounds if it has DD or DTS decoding built in. Who cares?!? Or even worse, the performance of the player's simulated surround sound for users with less than 5.1 speakers. All fluff.

I think the Secrets guys do a good job getting down to just the nitty gritty details that you can't find out for yourself. I consider performance on various glitches a major part of "quality". You can pretty much figure out what features a player has by looking at the company's website or a post on one of these forums.

The one thing I miss that they did last time are layer change quickness. Only a small blurb about the Denon 2800's as being great. Nothing about how relatively well or poorly the others did.
Old 08-21-01, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually there aren't any head-to-head comparisons out there of a wide assortment of multiple, high-quality DVD players. A single review will tell me Gladiator looks great - but which looks better, the "great" picture of Gladiator on Player A or the "great" picture of Gladiator on Player B? Thats the stuff I would think a consumer cares more about if they are interested in buying a player for maximum enjoyment.