Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Cooling Fan for Stereo Cabinet

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Cooling Fan for Stereo Cabinet

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-01, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an enclosed entertainment center with a glass door. If I leave the door closed the components get very hot. Anyone know where I can get a cheap, quiet fan to move the air in the cabinet? The $300 rack type fans seem like overkill!
Old 07-05-01, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I picked up a 4" fan from Radio Shack for about $20. The power cord connector was ~$5. I already had UL listed solder and heat shrink insulation on hand, so connecting the two wasn't an issue. It's been working for about 3 months now, every time I turn on my HT, with no problems at all.

Just make sure you get the one that runs on AC power.

Old 07-06-01, 06:08 AM

you can also try sawing the back out of the cabinet, will increase ventilation, and help with wiring
Old 07-06-01, 11:08 AM

I've tried fans, and the best solution was to place the reciever on the top shelf and cut out the back of the cabinet. If you cut a rectangle that's slightly smaller then the receiver you can't tell there actually is a hole behind the receiver.

It's more convienent to wire the receiver up, and since it's producing most of the heat the bottom shelves are actually noticeably cooler to the touch. A lot of receivers have cooling fans build in which really helps blow heat outside the shelves as well.

If you decide you really want a fan the cheapest solution I found was to buy a small 8" desk fan, seperate it from the base and modify it to fit in a hole. If you can, try the fan at the store and buy the one with the least vibrations.
Old 07-10-01, 09:53 AM

I had the same exact problem. I got the Radio Shack 6" Fan soldered a plug to the end, attached it to my switched outlet on my Receiver. (So that everytime I turn it on the fan goes on automatically) Cut a hole in the back of the cabinet and it has made a world of difference. The whole thing cost me about 15.00.