Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sony HTDDW830

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-01, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sony HTDDW830

I'm new to these boards but I've been looking around and I didn't see any posts related to this particular HT package. I was wondering if anyone knew exactly what model receiver and speaker bundle is contained in this package. I've been seeing it advertised for $399.99 and I was wondering if it was a good buy for this price. I'm a college student looking for something for my dorm room but also something that I could use after I graduate to get started. I would appreciate any feedback and I apologize if this was covered somewhere else. Thanks in advance for any help. :-)
Old 07-09-01, 03:50 PM

it's an ok starter set if you are only going to use it for movies and not music. my unit in particular emits an annoying hiss that really detracts from music. it is decent for a dormroom and 400 is a fair price.
Old 07-09-01, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by spasmolytic
it's an ok starter set if you are only going to use it for movies and not music. my unit in particular emits an annoying hiss that really detracts from music. it is decent for a dormroom and 400 is a fair price.
Thanks for your input. I've read things about this hiss in certain Sony receivers in other places but I've also read things from people stating that newer models don't have the hiss. I was wondering if you knew what model receiver is included in this package. I currently have an Aiwa CX-NMA545 Mini Theater system but it only has a Pro Logic decoder and 140 watts of total power. I'm unsure whether or not it's worth upgrading to this particular Sony package. Thanks again for the help.
Old 07-10-01, 09:31 AM

Okay, so I just called up Sony to get the model numbers for all the components contained in this package and the person gave me all the model numbers (there were 4 of them) and went on to tell me that they are all new models and have only been around since May, 2001. I asked her if there was a current model I could compare the receiver to for quality and reliability purposes and she told me that she didn't have any information like that because it was too new. Does anyone think it would be too much of a risk to buy this package as a college student looking for his first DD and DTS setup for a dorm room? Or is it possible that the newer model could mean that some of the problems (re: hiss) may have been fixed? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-10-01, 10:46 AM

If you are concerned about the hiss you should to a store and test it out. You should be able to hear it in the store if you put your ear up to the speaker.