Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Progressive scan dvd players

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Progressive scan dvd players

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-01, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
prices are coming down. way down. i saw a jvc progressive scan player for under $300. just curious as to why stores aren't making a bigger deal out of the differences between a progressive scan and non-progressive scan player? with the price of HD projection sets coming way down as well, i would think that this would be a pretty big issue. at the best buy nearby, i could only find ONE progressive scan dvd player being sold, and it wasn't even really touted as a feature.
Old 06-25-01, 01:24 PM

Most people don't really understand the advantages and don't have the need to understand b/c they don't have HDTVs yet. Hell, the way MGM sees it, most people still can't get past the black bars!

Plus, not all progressive scan players are created equal. There's something called "3-2 pulldown" that I don't know anything about except that it's important for a better picture and it doesn't come in the cheap prog scan players.
Old 06-25-01, 08:21 PM

The HD TV market, 16 x 9, is still relatively small in comparison to the total population. As more and more HD TV's are purchased then progressive scan DVD players will become more popular. You can see the market place starting to change. All of the major electronic companies are now introducing progresive scan players at very reasonable prices.

In order to get the most from a progresive scan player the process must include 3 : 2 pulldown, deinterlace scaling. The line doubling give the picture a film like look, while the 3 : 3 pulldown eliminates flickering and other distracting movement.