Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Newbie Has a DVD / Dolby Pro Logic question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Newbie Has a DVD / Dolby Pro Logic question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-01, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never owned a surround system before, so I have to ask this....

I'm looking at buying a Dolby Pro Logic receiver (Kenwood 107VR) that's a few years old. I don't want to spend the money for a DTS or 5.1 receiver right now. Will the pro logic receiver produce regular dolby surround from DVD movies or does the movie have to have a specific dolby pro logic track? I don't expect the best audio the dvd can give, but I assume it will at least reproduce a normal surround sound. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it before I buy it. Thanks!

Old 06-13-01, 03:15 PM

I had been using Pro Logic up until yesterday when I upgraded to a DTS/DD 5.1 receiver for $200. There is no comparison. My advice... spend a little more and get a DTS/DD 5.1.
Old 06-13-01, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I am curious to how much you are paying for it..... In my book it's not worth more then $50.00 maybe I'll go as high as $100 depending on the features.

But your answer is Yes. Dvd's have the prologic trac on them
Old 06-13-01, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with gev115, but to answer your original question, YES, a pro-logic receiver will be able to play DD 5.1 discs. Even if a DVD doesn't have a 2.0 track, most (if not all; I think it's a required feature) players will downconvert the 5.1 track to stereo. Pro-logic creates the surround field using the stereo track that you're currently using.

If you're already looking to buy a used receiver, look into DD receivers that are a few years old (it has been around that long!). Looking at Ebay, you can get one for $100-150, where the used pro-logic receivers are in the $50-70 range. Circuit City's lowest priced DD model (a Sony) is only $199 full price (and I'm sure you could get it cheaper).

I guess it depends on how little you're talking about spending. If you only have $50 to spend, then a $200 receiver isn't an option. But I definitely wouldn't buy a pro-logic receiver (used OR new) unless it's dirt cheap.
Old 06-13-01, 04:50 PM

Thanks for the replies. For this model, the seller wants $90 U.S. ($135 Canadian) shipped. Now, I'm from Canada and DTS/5.1 receivers don't come cheaper than $300 Canadian very much. Basically the used ones at e-bay will cost me $250-$300 Canadian to get it shipped here. So I figure not having even had surround before that just spending a bit more than a $100 Canadian to have a decent revceiver, I can see what I think without a lot of risk and I know anything is better than what I have.
Old 06-13-01, 05:14 PM

Here are some features/Specs of the KENWOOD 107VR....

-Comes with Remote, original box and manual

-IN SURROUND MODE.... front speakers 120w per channel, Center 120w, surround 120w per channel

-A/V OUTPUTS INCLUDE: VIDEO 1 IN/RECORD OUT, VIDEO 2 IN, TAPE IN/RECORD OUT, CD, A/V AUX, PHONO, AM/FM PRESETS FOR 30 CHANNELS. CONNECTIONS FOR A & B FRONT SPEAKERS AND LEFT, RIGHT, CENTRE AND SUB-woofer

-DOLBY PRO LOGIC
-Dolby 3 Stereo
-DSP LOGIC
-DSP PRESENCE
-SRS 3D STEREO