Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

? about 5.1 and this receiver

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

? about 5.1 and this receiver

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-01, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my friend just bought a dvd player yesterday. he also bought some speakers to set up the 5.1 digital suround sound. the receiver is a kenwood vr-406 and the dvd player is a mitsubishi dd-5000. i know we have the speakers hooked up correctly because the receiver has a speaker test that sends the static through all of the speakers and we could hear them all. the receiver and the dvd player are connected by an optical cable. so i put in a dvd and got no sound at all. i changed the audio of the dvd player to bitstream. the optical out of the dvd player is connected to the optical in of the receiver called cd/dvd. i'm kind of stumped right now. i hope someone else has the type of receiver and dvd player and can give me a hand. thanks
Old 06-03-01, 05:14 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you switched the DVD input on the reciever to Digital??
It could be set to analog. Or you could have busted your optical cable, they aren't the toughest cables out there.
Old 06-03-01, 07:35 PM

ok, i got it to go to dolby digital now, but i can't get all 5 of the speakers to work. although they all get the signal in the test pattern. what do you all think?
Old 06-04-01, 03:12 PM

kenwood receiver vr-406

ok i'm still not getting it. i've two fronts, a center channel, and two surrounds hooked up to the receiver. they must be hooked up correctly because when i do the self test thing on the receiver they all give the white noise that they're supposed to. the dvd player is set to bitstream. the optical cord is good, i tried it on my cd player and it worked just fine. the receiver says full digital decoding on it, but the light that says down mixing lights up when i try to watch a dvd. does anyone have a kenwood receiver that could help me out because this is really starting to torque my jaws.
Old 06-04-01, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to have a Kenwood 209. If the pink noise test works on all audio channels, then you have to look in both the DVD player menu AND the DVD menu to make sure you've selected the correct audio choices. Pick the wrong one in either, and you get no sound at all. (The player menu can be accessed before you're playing the DVD, and the DVD menu is usually accessed by selecting MENU while you're playing the DVD. If the choices don't look like what you want, try 'em anyway.