Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What should I do? (Dolby Digital Vs. Pro Logic related)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

What should I do? (Dolby Digital Vs. Pro Logic related)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-01, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 18th birthday is coming up and I am thinking about updating my home audio setup. Right now I have two fairly old (but nice) Marantz floor speakers and a Polk Audio speaker for my center (also pretty old). I am using a Sony Pro Logic reciever, but I don't have surround speakers or a sub. Also, I have all of this set up in my bedroom. I am debating about whether I should go ahead and ask for a new 5.1/DTS reciever, or wait until I can afford it myself, and just get some surround speakers to use with my current PL reciever (I don't really need a sub right now).

The drawback to getting a brand new 5.1 reciever is that I would want to get one that is of good enough quality that I can use it when I update the rest of my equipment in the future. Thus making the reciever pretty expensive, and cutting back on any other birthday presents I want from my parents (like DVDs).

My first question is should I go ahead and just get the DD/DTS reciever and nothing else? Or should I wait on the DD, and just get some nice rear speakers to go with my current system, thus allowing me also to get other stuff?

My second question is, if I do get the new reciever, which one do you recommend? Keep in mind that I need one that will fit in with a higher quality setup in the future, yet needs to be around or under $400. I was looking at some of the Yamaha recievers at audioreview.com, and they seem to be pretty good. Any specific models I should look at (for any brand)?

Just thought of another question: I need some good rear speakers. Since I probably would not be able to get both a reciever and new speakers, I would have to wait well after I get the reciever before I can get the rear speakers. But when I do eventually get them, which ones should I get? What do you recommend for around $100-$150? I was looking at the Polk Audio RT10s and some others. How are those? The price seems pretty decent.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for any input.
Old 04-30-01, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would ask for some nice rear speakers, preferably timbre matched with the speakers you plan to be using for a while (but not imperative).

It would be better to get a full surround experience in DPL right now (and maybe a few DVDs) than to get a DD setup but still not have enough speakers for surround sound. DPL will keep you happy until you can afford a nice receiver, and maybe by then 6.1 will become standardized to the point where you can get it, too.
Old 04-30-01, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll secong DigIt and say go for the surrounds. And you really do want a sub, they're the jello mold that holds all the sounds together, even on an old DPL system (like mine!)

What I would do is go for the surroung experience now with the rear speakers and a sub. A new receive will be worthless without the speakers, so save that for later.

After you get the speaker setup, show your parents the difference it makes and tell them that you want to get a new receiver next and why. Start saving up $10 a week or whatever you can afford. Come Christmas time ask them to price match what you've saved for a receiver.