Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Which Denon receiver to buy: AVR-4800 or AVR-3801?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Which Denon receiver to buy: AVR-4800 or AVR-3801?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-01, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have either of these? The 3801 looks like it suits my needs, but would it be worth the extra $500 or so for the 4800?
What do you think of these?
Old 04-26-01, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sounds like the 3801 will suit my needs. It'll be almost entirely used for movies and most of my music is shoddily-recorded punk rock anyways. Plus this'll be my first time even HEARING surround sound in the home, so I'm sure I won't complain over this fine product. Thanks!

[Edited by tor_greg on 04-26-01 at 03:58 PM]
Old 04-26-01, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also keep you're eye on the Pioneer Elite VSX-35. It's incredible, made my father's speakers sound 100 times better then his old HK, Yamaha, Marantz, etc. Best receiver I've ever heard in my home. I use seperates right now and I'm seriously considering 'downing' to his system. It's just incredible. Definitely check it out first though, I here the Denon is awesome too.
Old 04-26-01, 11:38 PM
Banned

The 3801 is reviewed in the current issue of Sound & Vision. If it had a dew more optical inputs I'd be all over one, but it only has 3 and I have 5 sources so I'm stickign with my Sony ES model with 4 inputs and the Audio Authority 1177 to switch between the audio on my sat receiver and PS2. THe DVD, CD, & MD all have their own input with the PS2 and sat receiver share an input. I'm sure I'll also be gettign a digital recorder at some point in the future so then I'll have 6 sources. There are currently receivers on the market with 7 and even 9 optical inputs but they cost a few thousnad dollars.

But anyway if 3 optical inputs will suit you - and it sounds like it will since your using this system for movies by all means go with the 3801

Advance Logic carries it http://www.copperbox.com - I'm not sure they can sell it on the internet though, but at least the guys there know what they are talkimg about, I got my HDTV, sat receiver, progressive scan dvd palyer and accessories there and could not be happier with them - practically instant answers to e-mail questions.
Old 04-27-01, 04:41 AM

I would go for the 4800 because of sound quality and power.There is more software available with EX vs ES.It all boils down to good sound and power which the 4800 has plenty of.
Old 04-29-01, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I recently ordered a 3801 and have been quite happy with it. You can get it for a really good deal from http://www.crazyeddie.com.

I called and ordered mine as soon as they opened for the day and and received it within 24 hours!

-Brett