DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Newbie question

Old 04-15-01, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently set my home theater and am loving it. I've got DTS, and DD working great with movies. My problem is I cant get my TV to carry sound through the reciever for regular TV. I'm using an optical cable from the reciever to the dvd and one of those red,white and yellow three prong cables from the dvd to the TV, sorry forgot the name of it. I have another cable, yellow and white, that I connected to the reciever tv outs and into the tv audio ins with no luck. I set the reciever so that tv= tv in and I've tried all other combinations. I know I'm doing something painfully obcious to someone here can someone help?
Old 04-15-01, 06:38 PM

"I have another cable, yellow and white, that I connected to the reciever tv outs and into the tv audio ins with no luck."

The way I read that, you have the cables reversed. To have the TV sound route through the receiver you want to use the audio out on your tv, and the audio in on the receiver.
Old 04-15-01, 09:03 PM

thanx but that didn't work any other suggestion?
Old 04-15-01, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

in addition to reversing the cables as rkive suggested you will also need to select the appropriate inpupt on your receiver. so to summarize: the audio out from your TV should be connected to an audio in on your receiver. any line level input will work, but there is usually one marked TV or VDP. When you want to listen to TV through your receiver, you must select input the TV is connected to.

one other thought, some TV's don't have a "line level" out, they only have a variable output. if your TV only has a variable output, you may need to raise the volume on your TV set after doing the above.
Old 04-15-01, 10:05 PM

Do you have a cable box? If so, you can use your receiver as a video/audio switch as well - this is how I have mine - running the composite (yellow video) and RCA (red/white audio) through the receiver. This way I can listen to it through my surround speakers or the TV - depends on my mood and the time of night...
Old 04-16-01, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by audrey
the audio out from your TV should be connected to an audio in on your receiver.

if your TV only has a variable output, you may need to raise the volume on your TV set
Just emphasizing what audrey said: connect the audio OUT on the TV to the audio IN on the receiver, turn the TV volume up, then set the receiver to the TV input and turn the receiver's volume up. It will work if done correctly.

I have another cable, yellow and white, that I connected to the reciever tv outs and into the tv audio ins with no luck.
This is what everybody thinks you have backwards -- you have the INs and OUTs wrong. It should be "receiver TV ins" and "TV audio outs". Are you sure your TV has audio OUTS?