Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Exchange
Reload this Page >

Used DVD Treasure Hunt Lounge

DVD Exchange Swap DVDs with your fellow DVD Talkers.

Old 04-06-04, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the Used DVD Treasure Hunt Lounge!

This Lounge is a companion to the Used DVD Treasure Hunt Thread, found here

Here in the Lounge, you can:

1. Review the current Request List of used out-of-print, rare, or uncommon individual DVDís or box sets that folks are looking for;

2. Request that a title be added to the Request List;

3. Review our FAQ, which is in the second post in this thread;

4. Ask any question about the rules or procedures for buying or selling used DVDís which are described in the Used DVD Treasure Hunt thread's first three posts;

5. Discuss the DVD's on the Request List or the merits of adding a particular title to it; and

6. Discuss anything else related to the Used DVD Treasure Hunt.

Now, on to the Request List.

Used DVD Request List

Because it is probably a given that a good used price on any Criterion Collection DVD or Box Set would easily find an audience here, we will not be listing individual Criterions on the Request List, other than to say "Any Criterion Disc". Of course, Criterions which can commonly be found used, such as Chasing Amy or The Royal Tenenbaums, should not be listed for sale here.

Individual DVD's:

Any Criterion Disc (Except for Chasing Amy or The Royal Tenenbaums)
OOP Disney Titles: (Limited Issue, not Gold Collection)
* Pinocchio (1940, 88 min.)
* 101 Dalmatians (1961, 79 min.)
* Hercules (1997, Letterbox 1.66:1, 92 min.)
* Mulan (1998, Letterbox/P&S 1.85:1, 88 min.)
* Lady and the Tramp (1955, Letterbox 2.35:1, 75 min.)
* Peter Pan (1953, 76 min.)
* The Lion King II: Simba's Pride (1998, Letterbox 1.66:1, 75 min.)
* The Jungle Book (1967, 78 min.)
* The Little Mermaid (1989, Letterbox 1.66:1, 83 min.)
Old WWF Wrestlemanias
Adventures of Robin Hood (2 disc Warner digipak)
Almost Famous]Almost Famous: Untitled Bootleg Cut
Amadeus: Directors Cut
Big Trouble in Little China (Two Disc Special Edition)
Blackhawk Down (3 Disc Special Edition)
Brotherhood of the Wolf (3 Disc Spec. Ed. - Canadian)
Cardcaptor Sakura (anime) above number 5
Dersu Uzala
Dodes'ka-Den
The Duellists
Ed Wood
An Evening With Kevin Smith
Flash Gordon
Gandhi - Special Edition
Giant (1956)
Halloween (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
Ichi the Killer
Jin Roh: The Wolf Brigade (Two Disc Special Edition) (Anime)
Kagemusha
Kurosawa Documentary
Last Days of Disco
Madadayo
Manhunter (Two Disc Limited Edition, orange cover)
Mask of Zorro (Superbit)
Midnight Cowboy (1969)
Moulin Rouge 2 disc
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (2 Disc Special Edition)
Patton (Two Disc Edition)
A Personal Journey With Martin Scorsese Through American Movies (Documentary)
Rabid Dogs
Ran Masterworks
Rhapsody in August
Sanshiro Sugata
Starship Troopers: SE
Thursday
Treasure of the Sierra Madre (2 disc Warner digipak)
Versus Special Edition
Visions of Light (Documentary)
West Side Story (2 Disc Set)
Windtalkers (3 Disc Special Director's Edition)
Yankee Doodle Dandy (2 disc Warner digipak)

Box Sets:

Any Criterion Box Set
24 seasons
Alien Quadrilogy
Amelie France/Japan (R2) Collector's Box Set
Andromeda
Angel seasons
Babylon 5 seasons
Band of Brothers
Bubblegum Crisis MegaSeries box set (anime)
Buffy Seasons
Family Guy
Farscape
Friends seasons
From the Earth to the Moon
Futurama
Gi Joe Seasons
Hercules
James Bond sets (old or new)
Johnny Carson Box Set
Ken Burns' Box Sets
Law and order seasons (SVU, CI, and the original)
The Man Show
Monty Python's Flying Circus Box Sets
OZ Seasons
Saturday Night Live - 25 Years of Music
Serial Experiments: Lain Box Set
The Shield seasons
Shoah Set (Documentary)
Simpsons seasons
Six Feet Under seasons
Smallvile seasons
South Park
Stargate SG1 Season Sets
ST: DS9 seasons
ST: TNG Seasons
ST: Voyage season 1
Three Colors - The Exclusive Collection
- Blue ( Trois couleurs: Bleu ) (1993)
- White ( Trois couleurs: Blanc ) (1994)
- Red ( Trois couleurs: Rouge ) (1994)
Toy Story: Ultmate Toy Box
Transformers Seasons
Twin peaks
West Wing Season 1
X-files seasons
Zena

Criterion Laser Discs requested:

Blade Runner
Raging Bull
Taxi Driver

Last edited by ivelostr2; 04-21-04 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-06-04, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frequently Asked Questions:

Last Updated: 4/29/04

1. What was the origin for the idea for the Used DVD Treasure Hunt?

Like many of you, I collect DVDís. Also I suspect like many of you, the greater part of my collection is comprised of DVDís I bought used. I enjoy buying used DVDís because of the thrill of the hunt, and because it is an enjoyable and relaxing way to spend some time. On some of my forays I find true treasure: an out-of-print title or just a title you rarely find used due to the quality of the flick, its price, or limited production, like a used Criterion at $14.95. Occasionally I pass those titles by because I either already have them or just am not interested in them. I have no interest in trying to spend the time necessary to try to make a few bucks off an Ebay transaction.

For example, I have seen the movie Dead Ringers, and it just wasnít my cup of tea. I have also known for some time that the Criterion Collection Dead Ringers DVD is out of print and much sought after by collectors. I also knew it went for upwards of $40 on ebay. The second time I saw that title used for $19.95, I decided that rather than passing it by, I would do a good deed. I decided that I would buy it and then offer it up in the DVD Talk forum for the price I paid, plus tax and shipping to the first person who replied and claimed it. Needless to say, it did not take long for someone to reply. I ended up sending that title to a member in New York, neiname. He was thrilled with the purchase, and I also felt great and realized that that feeling was worth more than the time I would have spent or money I would have recovered from trying to make an ebay profit off of it.

I then had a bigger idea. How cool would it be if you had access to a used DVD store that spanned from coast to coast and that only carried out of print, rare, or uncommon used DVDís? How cool would it be if the used DVDís that store carried were carefully selected by a network of informed, intelligent, and discriminating used DVD buyers in response to your requests and who did not seek to profiteer from the DVDís found? I realized I couldnít do that alone but that it could work with the support of others. Thus, I made this post and it took off from there with the help of many like minded people and one devilís advocate.

2. I donít get it. Why would I want to list and sell a used DVD for the price I paid for it plus tax and shipping? What would I be getting out of it?

Sellers get a number of benefits from listing and selling used DVDís. First, and most importantly, it feels great to know you well and truly made someoneís day by hooking them up with a DVD theyíve been searching for at an incredible price. Second, by selling these discs under our system, you gain one additional Buy Point for every listed disc sold, which allows you to buy more DVDís listed by other Sellers. Thus, by helping others, youíre also helping yourself. Also, by leading by example, you will be encouraging others to participate, which will mean you will see more titles to buy. Further, because we ask sellers to inspect the condition of the disc and ensure that it plays before selling it, you get the benefit of a "free" rental of the disc if you then turn around and sell it to a member here for purchase price paid, tax, and shipping. Finally, we will be maintaining a coast to coast database of premium used DVD fishing holes by city based upon information supplied by listing sellers which will only be shared with listing sellers. So, for those who just have to have a, shall we say, personal motivation to participate, itís there in spades.

3. How do I know whether a storeís price for a used DVD is a ďgoodĒ used DVD price?

As a rule of thumb, a good used price for an In-Print DVD is one half of its Manufacturerís Suggested Retail Price. You can easily find a titleís MSRP at an online sellerís site, like www.amazon.com. However, you should also be aware of what the disc is selling for new at established online DVD sellers who have made a name for themselves selling new DVDís at rock bottom prices. My short list of such sellers includes www.deepdiscountdvd.com and www.dvdempire.com. Finally, you can also do research at www.ebay.com to check out what prices a title has been selling for used. For an Out-of-Print DVD, Ebay is the best place to check what a titleís current market price is. From that number, you can tell whether the used price youíve spotted it at is a good deal or not. It really all depends on whether the store you found the title at realizes its rarity. You can also review the Used DVD Treasure Hunt thread to see what titles have been sold for used as yet another indicator of what is a good used price. Finally, if you still are unsure about whether the price is ďgoodĒ, you can simply list it as a ďSpottedĒ dvd, as explained in the Sellers Guide in the Treasure Hunt thread to see if anyone wants it at that price.

4. How can I find out if a title is Out-of-Print?

Look up the title here: http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/disconti.htm

5. Hey, this Buy Point System isnít fair. I donít live near any stores that carry used DVDís. So how will I ever get off The Bench once I'm on it?

Well, first, are you sure you donít live near stores that carry used DVDís? Most pawn shops these days carry a large selection of used DVDís and more than a few people have struck gold there in regard to great prices on out-of-print or used DVDís. Also, some nationwide retail CD/DVD chains now carry used DVDís. Keep your eyes open the next time you are in one. For example, I have had great luck at Coconuts. Also, Mom and Pop CD/DVD stores often carry used DVDís. Again, keep your eyes open. Garage or estate sales are also a possible hunting ground. Next, you have the Internet, which would include places like Ebay. If in the unlikely event that all of those possible sources for used DVDís come up dry, then, as a last resort, you could list a DVD on the Request List from your personal collection, as described in the Sellers Guide.

6. If I purchase a used DVD on the Request List and list it in the Used DVD Treasure Hunt thread, is there a guarantee that a Buyer will claim and purchase it?

No, there are no such guarantees. Because there are no guarantees, it would be prudent to list a disc that you are unsure of the demand for as a ďSpottedĒ disc, as that term is explained in the Sellers Guide. Essentially, you will be notifying everyone that you have spotted the title used. If a Buyer then comes forward to claim it, you can then purchase it (if it is still there when you go back) with the foreknowledge that a Buyer is definitely interested in it. I personally plan to do that with all box sets due to the price involved.

7. Why do you require the use of real names for tracking Buyer and Seller data?

We require the use of real names for several reasons. First, we require it because if we simply relied upon usernames, it would be too easy for unscrupulous Buyers to create multiple usernames in order to skirt the Buy Point System we have devised. The purpose of the Used DVD Treasure Hunt is to help members find out-of-print or hard to find discs at used prices that they want for their personal collections. The purpose is not to feed an ebay day trader, and weíve carefully designed our rules and procedures to avoid that. The use of real names also builds trust in the system. Finally, we also require the use of real names because that is already an accepted practice here in the Exchange Forum in regard to Gold Traders.

8. Is the Used DVD Treasure Hunt limited to United States Buyers?

Not necessarily. It depends on where the Seller is willing to ship, and that must be handled on a case by case basis. Buyers should assume that Sellers are in the U.S. and will only ship to the U.S., unless they state otherwise. If a Buyer outside the U.S. is interested in claiming a listed title, he should e-mail the Seller and inquire about the Seller's willingness to ship outside the U.S. before posting a claim to that title. That avoids disappointment in the potential Buyer and helps keep the thread free of ineligible claim posts. You cannot, however, "claim" a title via e-mail. Instead, pursuant to the rules, you must be the first eligible Buyer to post a public reply in response to the listing claiming the title in order to win it. Because Buyers pay before delivery and will be paying for shipping, there is a good chance that some Sellers would be willing to ship outside the U.S. However, Buyers outside the U.S. and Sellers in the U.S. thinking about shipping to another country should read the DVD Talk Exchange Forum advisory on that located here.

9. How long should I leave my listing up?

In Hand Listings

This decision is up to each individual seller, but we ask that you leave an In Hand listing up for at least seven days in order to give all thread browsers a reasonable opportunity to see and perhaps claim your listing. If you wish to leave it up longer than that, that is perfectly acceptable. You can leave it up indefinitely if you wish.

Spotted Listings

For "Spotted" DVD's, we recommend that those be left up for no more than seven days. The reason being that in most cases, the odds that a spotted disc on our Request List will still be there more than a week from when it was spotted are very low. Thus, a Seller will more likely than not be wasting his time if he goes back after a week to see if that disc is still in the store. If Sellers wish to list "Spotted" discs for less than one week, that is acceptable. It all depends on their personal preference. It is courteous to notify Buyers in the Notes section of your "Spotted" listing how long you intend to leave the listing up.

Tip for Benched Buyers

Buyers on the Bench would be well advised to keep track of what unclaimed listings are pulled off the thread by Sellers because at that point, Buyers on the Bench would be permitted to e-mail the Seller to inquire about whether they would be interested in selling the pulled title to them outside of the Hunt (since it has been pulled from the Hunt), assuming it is still available or the Seller is still willing to go see if a "Spotted" title is in.

10. What is the easiest way to ship a disc?

I highly recommend that you check out www.usps.com/clicknship

This United State Post Office site allows you to pay for and print out your own mailing labels. You have to register to use it, but once you do that, all you need is a scale. I have used it and it worked great. You can print out the label on a regular 8.5 by 11 piece of paper (sticky labels are not required). You then just cut the label out and tape it to your package (but don't tape over the bar code). Also, if you use this site to print a Priority mail label, delivery confirmation is free. It sure beats having to go to the post office.

Also, here's another helpful tip and option passed on by Bill Geiger: "I use paypal to ship my items out now. It is so simple!!! Just click on ship next to the persons name who paid you with paypal and choose USPS. You can ship Media, first, Priority overnight, whatever. Big fan." So, you might want to try PayPal next time also.

11. I think this is a cool idea. How can I help?

Getting familiar with the Request List (printing it out helps) and keeping your eyes open while browsing used stacks is a great place to start! Participating as a Seller and Buyer in the Hunt is the engine which makes this process work.

Also in addition to participating as a Seller or Buyer, we would also very much appreciate your help in spreading the word about the Used DVD Treasure Hunt, because the more people that participate, the better chances are that the disc for which you have been searching will appear in a listing here for an incredible used price. One way you can help us spread the word is by adding a hyperlink to this thread in your signature. To do that, just highlight and copy this text:

[ URL=http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=357173]Used DVD Treasure Hunt[/URL]

Then click on "Member Control Panel" near the top of the screen, then click "Edit Profile". Then, scroll down to the "Signature" box and paste the copied text into that box. Next, delete the extra space that appears after the opening bracket ("[") before the letters "URL" and then click on the "Submit Modifications" button at the bottom of the page. That's it! Thanks!

Finally, if you would like to take a more active role in helping administer the process, please e-mail me.

12. Do transactions in the Used DVD Treasure Hunt qualify as transactions for the Good Trader List in the Exchange forum?

Absolutely. If you had a good experience selling or purchasing a DVD in the Hunt, then, at the conclusion of the transaction (i.e., when delivery confirmation is received), please post a note in the current stickied Good Trader list and recommend the person you dealt with (by user name and real name) for a +1 Good Trader point.

Last edited by Loc Nar; 04-29-04 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-06-04, 11:30 PM

Wow. Well, we managed to pull off the debut of the Used DVD Treasure Hunt listing thread and this Lounge without a hitch.

We decided to post these threads tonight to give folks a chance to read the information found in them and to get familiar with the process before people start listing DVD's. Yep, some are in the pipeline.

I would not be surprised to see some "Spotted" listings tomorrow.

If you have any In Hand discs that you want to list, I ask that you please wait until tomorrow night to start listing those in order to give everyone a chance to read the posts and see how this process works. It's going to be fun.

If you have any questions that you could not find the answer to in the main thread or here in the FAQ, let us know by posting your question here in the Lounge.

Last edited by Loc Nar; 04-07-04 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-07-04, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Alrighty then... Cool idea, took a while to read and process but I dig it. I'll break the ice with a question concerning...

D. Listing Personal Discs

Listing Personal Discs is permitted with certain restrictions. First, it should be a Criterion Collection DVD or a DVD on the Request List. If the disc is In Print, it should be listed at one half of its Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price.

My question is this and I'm sure it's an easy answer... Should be listed at one half of it's MSRP. Is this a strict guide or can we put up a request list title at less than one half MSRP?
Old 04-07-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You could list it for any amount you choose, provided it is no MORE than half MSRP. I believe that is how it's meant to be interpreted. There are loopholes here, like very expensive oop disks that would still be great deals even above MSRP.
Old 04-07-04, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
Alrighty then... Cool idea, took a while to read and process but I dig it. I'll break the ice with a question concerning...

D. Listing Personal Discs

Listing Personal Discs is permitted with certain restrictions. First, it should be a Criterion Collection DVD or a DVD on the Request List. If the disc is In Print, it should be listed at one half of its Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price.

My question is this and I'm sure it's an easy answer... Should be listed at one half of it's MSRP. Is this a strict guide or can we put up a request list title at less than one half MSRP?
Thanks for taking the time to read it Johnny and for your support. Yes, the "should" was a guide, not a strict rule. The intent was that it should not be listed any higher than that. In other words those price guides were the high water mark. It certainly could be listed for less than that.

To clarify that, we will see about editing that part to say, "If the disc is In Print, it should not be listed at any more than one half of its Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price."

Similarly, regarding Out of Print Personal Discs, the section in the Sellers Guide which states the following:

"If the DVD is Out of Print, the Seller should list it at the same price of a prior completed listing of that title or, if that is not available, it should be listed at half the price that the title last sold for on Ebay."

should also be read as establishing a high water mark. Again, we'll probably edit that to read:

"If the DVD is Out of Print, the Seller should list it at no more than the price that title sold at in a prior completed listing or, if that is not available, it should be listed at no more than half the price that the title last sold for on Ebay."

Thanks for the spot!

Last edited by Loc Nar; 04-07-04 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-07-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Groovy. Thanks guys... I'll have a listing for ya tomorrow.
Old 04-07-04, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by DrGerbil
You could list it for any amount you choose, provided it is no MORE than half MSRP. I believe that is how it's meant to be interpreted. There are loopholes here, like very expensive oop disks that would still be great deals even above MSRP.
Just to clarify, technically, the suggested high water mark price guide for OOP personal discs in the Sellers Guide is the full price of what it last sold for here as a non-personal disc listing (as a disc purchased used from a retail outlet, for example) or, if that is not available, one half the price the disc last sold for on Ebay, not one half the old MSRP. So, this is not really a loophole.

Groovy. Thanks guys... I'll have a listing for ya tomorrow.
Thanks Johnny!

Last edited by Loc Nar; 04-07-04 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-07-04, 03:28 PM

Wait... so now we're turning into a "name your sell price for OOP DVDs?" That seems to defeat the purpose of this whole idea. If they are personal discs, I suggest that the people looking to get rid of those need to proceed to the main Exchange forum. This is a fatal flaw, I think.

Someone who sees something they want could easily remove themselves from "The Bench" by offering something from their collection that they know they could easily get again. This is why I liked having the receipt system, making it a requirement to provide a receipt so that people will know they are paying what the finder payed. Without this, it makes cheating this system a lot easier.

And as a final note, I don't want to rain on all the work you guys have done for this idea. You guys have done so much, and we appreciate it, so thanks. I really hope it works. But I'm still a bit concerned about making this an Exchange Forum thread. We'll just have to see how it plays out, I guess...
Old 04-07-04, 03:41 PM

It is not a "name your sell price" for personal OOP discs. We specified that for personal OOP discs, the listed price should be no more than the full price that same disc sold for here as a non-personal disc (i.e., it was bought used at a store at that price with receipt) or one half the price the disc last sold for on Ebay. If they want to sell it for less than that then I view that as a very generous gesture. They would hardly be profiteering on such a price, so that goal is not undermined.

Let me give you an example. Assume that I bought Dead Ringers at Coconuts used for $19.95 and sold it here at that price.

A few weeks later someone who has owned that disc for some time and bought it new when it was In Print decides they don't really care for the movie anymore and instead of trying to get $40 on ebay for it, they see what I last sold it for and they list their personal disc here at that price. I see no harm in that. Where is the harm in that? That is just as good a deal as the disc I would have listed that I bought used at Coconuts.

Now, let's assume I had not sold a Dead Ringers bought at the store for $19.95 (and no one else had) and someone still wants to sell this disc out of their personal collection. They check the price it last sold for on Ebay (let's say that was $42 - that can easily be verified), so they list it at the price of $21. Again, I don't see the harm.

As long as it is a disc on the request list, I don't see the problem. It seems to me that you are simply eliminating the middle man of selling it at a retail store and hoping someone will then see it and list it here.

If they want to Exchange the disc for something else, then certainly the Exchange forum would be the place to go. If they want to sell it for more than the guidelines we present, then the Exchange forum would again be the place to go. If they want to sell it within our price guidelines, it is their choice whether they want to list it here or in the main Exchange forum. We certainly don't require anyone to list a disc here. It is purely voluntary and, again, the intent is simply to help other members get their hands on OOP, rare or uncommon DVD's they've been looking for for their personal collections at used prices.

As long as our price guidelines are followed, it's serving, rather than cheating the system. The goal, again, is hooking people up with these DVD's at used prices.

Last edited by Loc Nar; 04-07-04 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-07-04, 07:25 PM
PwA

does this include Canadian buyers??

i didnt read anything about us..

just wondering

sorry about posting in the other thread.. its been deleted
Old 04-07-04, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by PwA
does this include Canadian buyers??

i didnt read anything about us..

just wondering

sorry about posting in the other thread.. its been deleted
Thanks PwA. I think shipping a disc to another country needs to be handled on a case by case basis. Because payment is up front and Buyer pays shipping, it should not be a problem, but I do not think we can require Sellers to agree to do that, especially in light of the stickied advisory on shipping to other countries. I will add a caveat to my promise to not charge for shipping for my first five listings - that's only for shipping to the U.S.

If the Buyer paid by PayPal and covered shipping to wherever he was with delivery confirmation, I would have no problem shipping it to that destination, but that's just me.

It would probably be wise for you to e-mail a Seller who lists a title you are interested in and ask if he would be amenable to ship to Canada before you try to claim the disc. That way, you would not be disappointed.

Those are my thoughts anyway. I'd welcome other opinions.

Last edited by Loc Nar; 04-07-04 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-07-04, 08:09 PM
PwA

thats fine, i wouldnt mind paying the actual shipping of a dvd to canada, makes little difference to me, im just sick of getting left of things like this because of where i live

wanted to make sure we were allowed in too!
Old 04-07-04, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by PwA
thats fine, i wouldnt mind paying the actual shipping of a dvd to canada, makes little difference to me, im just sick of getting left of things like this because of where i live

wanted to make sure we were allowed in too!
Cool. I bet there are more than a few people around here who would love to score a great used price on that Canadian three disc set of Brotherhood of the Wolf. I have that set and it is most impressive. That would go a long way towards eliminating any concern about shipping to Canada.

Last edited by Loc Nar; 04-07-04 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-07-04, 08:44 PM
PwA

yea i saw a few deals at the mall today and i was thinking of posting them, like married with children s.1 is on sale for like $19 thats like 13 american.. does that qualify or no?

ill try and find the brotherhood of the wolf 3 disc

i havent seen it in quiet a while though..
Old 04-07-04, 09:51 PM

Re Married With Children - I'm not feeling much interest for that here. Keep looking for that BoTW 3 disc set.
Old 04-08-04, 10:02 AM
Banned

Though I am sure people are a bit skeptical on this whole idea, I think it will be a huge sucess. Thanks LocNar and everyone who volunteered their time on this. I am sure it will be well worth it.

One question: Though we are tracking members who sell/buy dvds through this thread, when a sucessful purchase has been made do we still add the seller or buyers name to the Good Trader List?
Old 04-08-04, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by nova
Though I am sure people are a bit skeptical on this whole idea, I think it will be a huge sucess. Thanks LocNar and everyone who volunteered their time on this. I am sure it will be well worth it.

One question: Though we are tracking members who sell/buy dvds through this thread, when a sucessful purchase has been made do we still add the seller or buyers name to the Good Trader List?
nova, thanks for the support. The proof will be in the pudding as they say. I just hooked achau up with Flash Gordon for $22.95 and that disc is currently at $50 in an ebay sale that closes in five hours. If that is not proof positive of how great this system can be, I don't know what is. We will tweak the system as we move forward to make it better based upon feedback received, as we are already doing. I will address the shipping to other countries issue in the FAQ, but I want to see if there are any other opinions on that before I make a semi-official response.

I think adding successful sellers and buyers who have completed transactions to the Good/Gold? Traders list is an excellent idea. Why should they not be credited for their reliability? We're tracking that info here also as an easy reference source for folks. I will add, however, that I am not thoroughly familiar with the Gold Trader system and would welcome any additional input on nova's question.
Old 04-08-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If it hasn't already been mentioned, I think keeping a list of dvds sold would be a good idea. It will let others know that yes, this works and can be good for them to take part.

I also feel that once the dvd is sold, that the post should be deleted. No sense in making the thread so long that people need to go through titles already sold.
Old 04-08-04, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by Bill Geiger
If it hasn't already been mentioned, I think keeping a list of dvds sold would be a good idea. It will let others know that yes, this works and can be good for them to take part.

I also feel that once the dvd is sold, that the post should be deleted. No sense in making the thread so long that people need to go through titles already sold.
Bill that's a good suggestion, but let me know your reaction to this.

The initial thought was that we would leave up the listed disc posts as a record of what has been listed and sold. See, once a listing is updated by the Seller from Unclaimed, to Claimed, to Closed, it would stay as a record of that transaction. That was the initial thought anyway. I am concerned about requiring even more tracking work from the folks who have volunteered to help out. Having to track people down and remind them to delete their listing might be tedious. Maybe we need another volunteer?

Update: I thought about this some over lunch. Bill, in order for a system like you describe to work, ideally there would need to be someone who has some Excel skills to create a database sheet tracking discs listed and price sold at. That point person would have to keep up with the listings to gather that data. When that person saw a closed listing, he or she would enter that data in the Excel sheet and then would have to e-mail the Seller who posted that listing to let them know that the data has been entered and that the Seller could now go ahead and delete his listing. That person would also need to e-mail the Buyer or any other claimants and ask them to go ahead and delete their posts. Then this point person would, on a semi-regular basis, e-mail the Excel file to DrGerbil who could attach it to the Sellers Guide and Data post (at least I think he could). That sounds like a pretty big time committment from someone just to keep the thread as small as possible. If anyone can think of a better way to do than that that would not be so time consuming, please share your thoughts.

Last edited by Loc Nar; 04-08-04 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-08-04, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It really isn't as complex as you make it. Basically, a table could be set up, showing the titles sold. I'll post an example late tonight as I am at work. But, if you look in the international forum and click on my thread there, you'll see the table I have set up. Basically, you could just have, 4 categories.

1)Seller
2)Buyer
3)Price
4)Disc title

Also, as far as deleting a particular post...if asked nicely, a moderator shouldn't have an issue with doing that. I had it done previously for my thread.
Old 04-08-04, 01:48 PM

I'll check it out. Thanks!

Okay, I checked it out. Cool table. That would be a better way. I did not realize you could do that in a post. I quoted your post to take a look at how you did it. It looked fairly complex. How did you create that within the post? Is there a simple way to do it? I would like to see your sample table. We could put it in the first post in the Lounge with the Request List or in the Sellers Data post. One of those would seem to be the best place to put it. I'll have to see whether ivelostr2 or DrGerbil are willing to do it though. That will govern where it goes.

Last edited by Loc Nar; 04-08-04 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-08-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thoughts and a question on payment options... Paypal is the recommended method of payment... But not mandatory, no? Reason I ask... I'm a gold trader here and have (532) on eBay but I do not accept Paypal... Maybe that's archaic thinking in this day and age but it is what it is.

So, if I and other traders here, list an item on the request list... I'm assuming that it's up to the buyer to determine if he/she is cool with a money order or personal check? Personally, I have no problems with accepting a check from established DVDTalkers, although I'm sure not everyone feels this way...

As a buyer, I suppose that Paypal is generally preferred for protection, ease and speed of delivery. Makes sense to me but if you're a seller, who is a gold trader, a longtime member of the DVDTalk community and has 500+ feedback, I think it's safe to say that the seller can be trusted to follow through with the transaction. No?

Thoughts?
Old 04-08-04, 03:42 PM

Thoughts and a question on payment options... Paypal is the recommended method of payment... But not mandatory, no? Reason I ask... I'm a gold trader here and have (532) on eBay but I do not accept Paypal... Maybe that's archaic thinking in this day and age but it is what it is.

So, if I and other traders here, list an item on the request list... I'm assuming that it's up to the buyer to determine if he/she is cool with a money order or personal check? Personally, I have no problems with accepting a check from established DVDTalkers, although I'm sure not everyone feels this way...

As a buyer, I suppose that Paypal is generally preferred for protection, ease and speed of delivery. Makes sense to me but if you're a seller, who is a gold trader, a longtime member of the DVDTalk community and has 500+ feedback, I think it's safe to say that the seller can be trusted to follow through with the transaction. No?

Thoughts?
Johnny, you are correct. PayPal is recommended but not required. We advise that if a Seller *requires* PayPal that he put that in the Notes section of his listing. For my listings, I prefer PayPal due to convenience, but I do not absolutely require it. Does that answer your question sufficiently? In other words, it's up to the Seller as to what they will or will not accept.
Old 04-08-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yup, figured that was pretty obvious, but I'm trying to cover every angle here...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.