Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Exchange
Reload this Page >

Used DVD Treasure Hunt Lounge

Community
Search
DVD Exchange Swap DVDs with your fellow DVD Talkers.

Used DVD Treasure Hunt Lounge

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-04, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree; we should indefinitely adhere to that rule. No emails, just replies here

btw, thanks to all who are working to launch this fantastic idea. I'm looking foward to helping out lots of fellow members and acquiring hard to find titles myself.
Old 04-10-04, 05:50 PM

Thanks for your support nonametofame and willingness to help keep the wheels in motion by becoming an "active" used disc browser.

It's trite to say this, but this idea hinges on the ability to work together. This is harnessing the power of the Internet the way Al Gore intended.
Old 04-10-04, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks for the warm welcome, Loc. A few questions for you.
I live in Orange County, CA. Are there any decent places I could check to find used titles? Most of the places I check dont' have much. And for the second question, is it a good idea to post offfers on buy it now deals on ebay as well. I assume this is similar to a "spotted" title.
Old 04-10-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Welp I just added a nice red & bolded line to the claim procedure, so it kinda jumps out at the eye No one should overlook it any more.
Old 04-10-04, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by nonametofame
thanks for the warm welcome, Loc. A few questions for you.
I live in Orange County, CA. Are there any decent places I could check to find used titles? Most of the places I check dont' have much. And for the second question, is it a good idea to post offfers on buy it now deals on ebay as well. I assume this is similar to a "spotted" title.
I've had a lot of luck at what I think are national cd/dvd stores that also carry used titles. In my area, Coconuts and Wherehouse Music are great resources. Fye may have started carrying used titles also. Also, sometimes you find small college oriented CD stores that also carry used DVD's, and they often have the best prices. Finally, don't forget about Pawn Shops, if you have some in a decent area. They often carry used DVD's as well. Then there are Garage sales and Estate Sales which might list DVD's as an item to be sold. Anyway, I'm thinking that if I've been able to have some success in Birmingham, AL, you will do okay in Orange County, CA. Also, check places like Electronics Boutique or Gamespot the next time you are near one. They generally carry "pop culture" titles, but occasionally, you strike gold. I found my copy of Ed Wood there for a price I dare not disclose.

Also, groovrbaby will be keeping a geographical database of good used DVD fishing holes which will be shared with sellers who list and sell a disc under our system and who also send him their list of good spots in their area.

Finally, do not link to ebay auctions. Discs listed here should be exclusive to here. Also, I think it is a major no no to link to an ebay auction in this forum, so I am told.

Keep the questions coming if you got them and good luck with your hunt.

Last edited by Loc Nar; 04-11-04 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-10-04, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by drjay
Welp I just added a nice red & bolded line to the claim procedure, so it kinda jumps out at the eye No one should overlook it any more.
Looks good drjay. Thanks.
Old 04-11-04, 12:07 AM

Groovr-

Give Fiend W/O a Face to ivelostr2. I don't want to bend the rules. I'll claim High and Low instead.
Old 04-11-04, 07:46 AM

Originally posted by dhs122
Groovr-

Give Fiend W/O a Face to ivelostr2. I don't want to bend the rules. I'll claim High and Low instead.
It's great to see so many cool people suporting this system. Congrats on the High and Low pickup!
Old 04-11-04, 05:53 PM

I just edited the Introduction in the main thread to add this request for your assistance in getting the word out, and I thought I should add it here as well for those who have already read the main thread. Here it is:

In addition to participating as a Seller or Buyer, we would also very much appreciate your help in spreading the word about the Used DVD Treasure Hunt, because the more people that participate, the better chances are that the disc for which you have been searching will appear in a listing here for an incredible used price. One way you can help us spread the word is by adding a hyperlink to this thread in your signature. To do that, just highlight and copy this text:

[ URL=http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=357173]Used DVD Treasure Hunt[/URL]

Then click on "Member Control Panel" near the top of the screen, then click "Edit Profile". Then, scroll down to the "Signature" box and paste the copied text into that box. Next, delete the extra space that appears after the opening bracket ("[") before the letters "URL" and then click on the "Submit Modifications" button at the bottom of the page. That's it! Thanks!

It will then look like the hyperlink in my sig.

Last edited by Loc Nar; 04-11-04 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-12-04, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

testing
Old 04-12-04, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

and again
Old 04-12-04, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i've been spreading the word since I discovered this and am actually spreading the word as we speak. By the way, checked two gamestops and an FYE, came up empty headed, but I'm sure something good will come may way soon. It's pretty much safe to pick up anything "Criterion"
Old 04-12-04, 09:13 AM

Thanks for adding the sig link noname. So, the instructions were clear enough?

Re picking up Criterions, I would imagine it's generally safe depending on price. Keep an eye on what they are going for at places like www.deepdiscountdvd.com to make sure the used price you see it at plus tax and shipping will still be a good deal at the end of the day as compared to ddd. More often than not, it will still be a good deal.

Also, question for you Disney fans, would someone please clarify what titles are OOP? I think we should "flesh out" our reference to Discontinued Disney Titles to have a firm list of OOP titles people are looking for.

I see these titles from time to time, but don't have a firm list in my mind as to what is discontinued. I have no interest in picking them up for my personal collection, because I have a good VHS library of them and that suits my 6 and 3 year old boys just fine.

Thanks!
Old 04-12-04, 05:11 PM

Notice of FAQ Amendment:

This addresses how long Sellers should leave listings up before pulling them, so I felt this warranted an update. Here is what has been added to the FAQ:

9. How long should I leave my listing up?

In Hand Listings

This decision is up to each individual seller, but we ask that you leave an In Hand listing up for at least seven days in order to give all thread browsers a reasonable opportunity to see and perhaps claim your listing. If you wish to leave it up longer than that, that is perfectly acceptable. You can leave it up indefinitely if you wish.

Spotted Listings

For "Spotted" DVD's, we recommend that those be left up for no more than seven days. The reason being that in most cases, the odds that a spotted disc on our Request List will still be there more than a week from when it was spotted are very low. Thus, a Seller will more likely than not be wasting his time if he goes back after a week to see if that disc is still in the store. If Sellers wish to list "Spotted" discs for less than one week, that is acceptable. It all depends on their personal preference. It is courteous to notify Buyers in the Notes section of your "Spotted" listing how long you intend to leave the listing up.

Tip for Benched Buyers

Buyers on the Bench would be well advised to keep track of what unclaimed listings are pulled off the thread by Sellers because at that point, Buyers on the Bench would be permitted to e-mail the Seller to inquire about whether they would be interested in selling the pulled title to them outside of the Hunt (since it has been pulled from the Hunt), assuming it is still available or the Seller is still willing to go see if a "Spotted" title is in.

If you have any comments or questions regarding this information, or believe it should be revised in any way, please let me know.

Last edited by Loc Nar; 04-12-04 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-12-04, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Loc Nar
Thanks for adding the sig link noname. So, the instructions were clear enough?

Re picking up Criterions, I would imagine it's generally safe depending on price. Keep an eye on what they are going for at places like www.deepdiscountdvd.com to make sure the used price you see it at plus tax and shipping will still be a good deal at the end of the day as compared to ddd. More often than not, it will still be a good deal.

Also, question for you Disney fans, would someone please clarify what titles are OOP? I think we should "flesh out" our reference to Discontinued Disney Titles to have a firm list of OOP titles people are looking for.

I see these titles from time to time, but don't have a firm list in my mind as to what is discontinued. I have no interest in picking them up for my personal collection, because I have a good VHS library of them and that suits my 6 and 3 year old boys just fine.

Thanks!
I responded to your email. The point you made here is the same point I made in my response back. Thanks for looking out though
Old 04-12-04, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I edited the list dropping Akira Kurosawa's Dreams because of the low price it is available for everywhere, and I changed Versus to the Special Edition. Pleaselet me know if I ned to do anything else...
Old 04-13-04, 02:59 PM

OOP Disney Titles: (Limited Issue, not Gold Collection)
* Pinocchio (1940, 88 min.)
* 101 Dalmatians (1961, 79 min.)
* Hercules (1997, Letterbox 1.66:1, 92 min.)
* Mulan (1998, Letterbox/P&S 1.85:1, 88 min.)
* Lady and the Tramp (1955, Letterbox 2.35:1, 75 min.)
* Peter Pan (1953, 76 min.)
* The Lion King II: Simba's Pride (1998, Letterbox 1.66:1, 75 min.)
* The Jungle Book (1967, 78 min.)
* The Little Mermaid (1989, Letterbox 1.66:1, 83 min.)
Old 04-13-04, 07:55 PM

Thanks for that great list i-bystander. Ivelostr2, please revise the Request List for the Discontinued Disney entry to show these titles as sub-parts. Thanks!
Old 04-13-04, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for that great list i-bystander. Ivelostr2, please revise the Request List for the Discontinued Disney entry to show these titles as sub-parts. Thanks!
done...
Old 04-14-04, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
Dang...between a car repair and a Sunday visit to the dentist, my "mad money" fund was depleated these last couple weeks.

So, I wanted to let ya know I'll be hitting the my favorite used places this weekend with the "wanted" list in hand. Hopefully, I should have some stuff to post. w00t!
Old 04-14-04, 08:40 AM

Thanks Tom! I look forward to seeing what you spot. Also, thanks for including the link in your sig.
Old 04-14-04, 11:17 AM

Reflections on Week One:

Today marks one week since we started the Used DVD Treasure Hunt thread and Lounge. It's been a great start thanks to the collective effort of DVD Talk members, i.e., YOU, who have, for example, helped maintain the threads, asked good questions or given suggestions which help improve the rules and process, listed DVD's or claimed those listings, helped us spread the word here at DVD Talk and beyond, taken the time to read the rules and see what this is all about, or simply viewed the threads with an open mind. We're at over 1700 views for the Hunt thread alone and the Lounge is not far behind at over 1200 views.

We would like to post an update here in the Lounge once a week which recaps what listings were claimed during the prior week and what are still currently available. We will likely move this update to the weekend after this first update.

Here are the claimed and unclaimed listings from week one:

Claimed:

Flash Gordon (OOP)
Do The Right Thing (CC)
Naked Lunch (CC)
George Washington (CC)
The Rock (CC)
Fiend Without a Face (CC)
High and Low (CC)
Silence of the Lambs (CC) (OOP)
The Most Dangerous Game (CC)
The Godfather DVD Collection

Unclaimed:
X-Files Season 1
X-Files Season 8
Memento LE
LoTR: FoTR EE
Supergirl (2 Disc LE) (OOP)
Ed Wood (SE) x2 (OOP)
Ran Masterworks Ed.
Seven Samurai (CC)
Traffic (CC)
King of the Hill Season 1
Kurosawa Samurai Box Set
Versus Director's Cut
Angel Season 1
Babylon 5 Season 2
Babylon 5 Season 1
Band of Brothers
Friends Season 3
X-Men 1.5

So, we had 28 listings in week one, and those listings came from 9 different Sellers. Five of those listings were of Out of Print titles. That's a tremendous start, and there are still excellent listings which are not claimed yet.

Think about the best used DVD store in your city, and ask yourself if within the space of a week, you ever saw discs like those listed above available at the used prices listed here. That's why this process can work, and is working. Please continue to help support it by keeping your eyes open the next time you are browsing for used DVD's, and list any great deals you see on Request List discs you don't want for your personal collection.

Also, if you would help us spread the word by adding a hyperlink to the Hunt thread in your signature, that would be most appreciated. I gave explicit instructions on how to do that above in this thread. The more people that participate in this process the better, as it will expand the network of used DVD browsers and increase the number of listings, so anything we can do to spread the word is in all of our best interests.

Thanks for your support!

Last edited by Loc Nar; 04-14-04 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-14-04, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My sister gives birth , and I completely miss the Silence of the Lambs CC OOP dvd listing!!! Well, please, someone find this title, again!
Old 04-14-04, 09:45 PM

Congratudolences scroll2b! I'm betting it will turn up again. Robocop Criterion is currently still available IIRC. Update: Umm . . . Nevermind.

Last edited by Loc Nar; 04-15-04 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-15-04, 04:56 PM

What do you guys think about adding Toy Story 1, Toy Story 2, and Toy Story 2 Pack, on the list. They are selling for 30-40 in some auctions on Ebay.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.