Same here. My copy arrived yesterday.
Old 08-07-08, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid CH

Placed an order with the b1g1 deal for:

Beetlejuice
Independence Day
The Lost Boys

They told me in an email that 3 of them are OOS and of course Beetlejuice couldn't be yet because it's a preorder.

5 Days later an order shows up in my account that I never placed for Beetlejuice and Independence Day without the b1g1 deal

Today I get an email letting me know they shipped Independence Day from the phantom order but I'm still waiting for it to ship from my b1g1 order.

I find it funny they have it in stock when it's full price but it's OOS when it's part of a b1g1.
Old 08-07-08, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HappyRabbit
Stupid CH

I find it funny they have it in stock when it's full price but it's OOS when it's part of a b1g1.
I don't. I have fulfilled my commitments and am VERY hesitant about joining again, esp. after the way they acted with the B1G4. It's one thing to cancel an order. It's another thing to charge more than what was agreed upon at order time.

I hope it's computer messups and not underhanded business practices, but I suspect the latter.
Old 08-07-08, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Computer messups?!?! That would be one wacky-ass computer, man. I believe it is DEFINATELY the latter.
Old 08-07-08, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I really don't understand why people think a company is always deliberately trying to screw you. Stuff like this is going to be complained about by anyone to whom it happens. People who are CH members are almost by definition people who are looking for great deals (I know I am) and are not going to take it when this happens (I know I don't).

I have had a few screwups with CH and every time I've called, been treated with respect and apologies and gotten it straightened out.

CH is just a screwed up company but they do fix things.
Old 08-07-08, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Throughout my tenre with CH DVD CLUB, which has been like 6-7 years... I have had to call in about various things like maybe 25 times. About 5 times I have been treated very nicely. About 5-10 times like I'm just as non-important as everyone else. And about 10 times or so I was treated like dog sHlt.
Old 08-08-08, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bobaray
I called customer service and the person said they had no record in their system for my first order (7/25), even though I can clearly see it in my order history. She said there was nothing I could do but return the titles for my money back. Checked my credit card and sure enough, I was never charged for the first order, only the more than double priced second order. Last effort to get my original deal...I e-mailed customer service as folllows:
I'm very disappointed in your web-site. I placed this order on 7/25 for a total of $82.34. The exact same titles were set up as an order (not by me) five days later (7/30); order number xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, except the total price was $166.94. My credit card has already been charged $32.95 and $105.79 for this duplicate order. Don't know why you are not honoring my original order price (I called customer service and they said they have no record of the order, yet I still see it in my order history). Please honor your original stated price for these titles...how can I order anything from you in the future if you arbitrarily change the prices and offers.
Got a response to my e-mail to columbiahouse:
Thank you for notifying us of the difficulties you have been experiencing with our website. We have reported the issue and hope to have it corrected soon. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience. In the meantime, we would be happy to assist you via e-mail.
We have credited your account $74.13 for the items noted below, as you requested.
KINGD HE DRBLU $29.96
SLEEPY HOLLBLU $22.46
MAD MAX 2BLU-R $21.71
We billed your account for the following selections at the prices indicated.
NIM'S ISLANBLU $32.95
HELLBOY BLU $23.70
MUNICH $1.99
BTLEJUIC 20BLU $28.20
We would be happy to process your order via e-mail. Please provide the titles and selection numbers of the items you would like to purchase, your eleven digit account number, and the sale offer you would like to respond to (for example: DVDs at 50% Off when you Buy 1 at regular Price). If you would like expedited shipping for an additional $4.99, please let us know. This will ensure delivery of in stock items within 3-5 business days after processing.
If we may be of further service, please contact us at http://www.columbiahouse.com.
Sincerely,
Customer Service

This works out to about $10.50 more than I was originally supposed to pay. I am now paying shipping on all of the non-free titles. I think I'll cut my losses and not hassle this anymore.
Old 08-08-08, 12:48 PM
jgp
Cool New Member

Back when I was in college... I was a member of BMG Music club -- same company as Columbia House, different arm of the company.

I was looking at the invoice, and my actual invoice added up was 10 cents less than the total. So they randomly added 10 cents to the total ... think of this over several hundred thousand invoices? That's a lot of extra padding. Anyway, I wrote them a nice letter that mentioned this was illegal and to please not send me anything ever again, or I would turn them in. That was the last I heard from them even though I was far from fulfilling my purchasing ommitment.

Considering my experience with BMG, and the falsified total, I am wary with Columbia House, but ... I LOVE the deals - especially after finding this forum and the codes. I keep really good records and, sure it is a pain sometimes, but overall, I'm fairly pleased with my experience. I think a real Order Confirmation in email - with prices and totals was a huge step in the right direction. Maybe they are really trying to fix certain shady practices? Here's to hoping, anyway.
Old 08-20-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bastards screwed with my order. Had Dexter S2 preordered as one of the B1's and now its gone from my order and a $19.54 charge has appeared on my card. Thanks CH!
Old 08-21-08, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by kicker_of_elves
Bastards screwed with my order. Had Dexter S2 preordered as one of the B1's and now its gone from my order and a $19.54 charge has appeared on my card. Thanks CH!
My Dexter is gone from my order as well. No charge-- at least not yet.
Old 08-21-08, 11:35 PM

I didn't learn from Columbia House's last screw-up on my account, so I decided to place a simple order using the B1G2 code from a couple of weeks ago. Once again they duplicated the order in my Order History, as follows:

08/13/2008 xxxxxxxxxxxx57 $74.91
Pre-Order My Three Sons: Season One - Volume One Scheduled To Ship
Standard No longer available Shipped 08/15/2008
Standard Stargate: The Ark of Truth Shipped 08/15/2008

08/08/2008 xxxxxxxxxxxx83 $35.74
Pre-Order My Three Sons: Season One - Volume One Processed
Standard Stargate: The Ark of Truth Processed
Standard Stargate: Continuum Processed

The order on 8/8 was the original order (I should have been charged $35.74). Keeping an eye on my credit card transactions, I saw a charge of $43.15. This was totally confusing, until my order arrived today. I received Iron Man video game for the Playstation 2, and Stargate: Ark of Truth. I guess when Continuum was no longer available, they decided I might like the video game instead. Of course, they charged me $29.95 for the game, plus $9.18 for Ark of Truth, plus S/H. Both Stargate movies were supposed to be free, except for $1.99 S/H each. Here we go messing with Customer Service again.

Last edited by Bobaray; 08-21-08 at 11:41 PM.