DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Cancelling an Account

Old 12-06-07, 11:06 PM

Cancelling an Account

Is is now required to call in to cancel an account? I tried online and it said to call the 800 number and of course its after hours now.
Old 12-06-07, 11:49 PM

You can also e-mail them, but calling is usually easier. The CSR will probably ask why you want to cancel, or make an offer to get you to keep the account, but just tell them you already have another open account. Then it's pretty quick.
Old 12-07-07, 04:55 AM
Banned

Sometimes my accounts let me cancel online, other times I'm told to call their CSRs. There's really no rhyme or reason why it's like that. Though I'm surprised they don't have you call every time since it gives them another opportunity to sell you something or convince you to keep the account open.
Old 12-07-07, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Legolas
Sometimes my accounts let me cancel online, other times I'm told to call their CSRs. There's really no rhyme or reason why it's like that. Though I'm surprised they don't have you call every time since it gives them another opportunity to sell you something or convince you to keep the account open.
I just tell them i'm no longer in the country (even though i meant i was on vacation) through e-mail as my reason to want to cancel. Account is gone within 48 hours. And i've used this same line 3 different times
Old 12-07-07, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Legolas
Sometimes my accounts let me cancel online, other times I'm told to call their CSRs. There's really no rhyme or reason why it's like that.
The TV accounts still let you close them the old way through the site.
Old 12-07-07, 12:35 PM

From all the accounts I've cancelled, the csr didn't seem to care why you are cancelling
Old 12-07-07, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by legend42
The TV accounts still let you close them the old way through the site.
Thats why I was a little surprised. The last couple were TV accounts and I did it online but this was a standard DVD account and it told me I had to call and of course it had to be during hours so I could talk to someone and get the annoying pitch.
Old 12-07-07, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by AlfB
Thats why I was a little surprised. The last couple were TV accounts and I did it online but this was a standard DVD account and it told me I had to call and of course it had to be during hours so I could talk to someone and get the annoying pitch.
Under "Help", use the "Contact us" link, select "Membership Obligation" as the subject, and in the text box put "Membership obligation fulfilled, please cancel this account". It's worked for me every time.