Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Join Club or CH.com for HD DVDs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-07, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Join Club or CH.com for HD DVDs?

Which, if any, offers HD DVDs for the initial selections? And which offers ultimately the better value for HD DVDs? which do you suggest I join? Only looking for HD DVDs exclusively. Thank you.
Old 09-29-07, 08:16 PM

Neither offer HD for enrollment (yet). Since you only want HD, your best bet is with CH.com. The High-Def discs are cheaper than the regular club(and most stores) and always include free ship.

Last edited by shadow32; 09-29-07 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-30-07, 12:16 AM

I found the thread with the pricing models. Last question, do they charge tax and how do they ship? USPS? UPS? If USPS, is it Media Mail? Tracking? Thanks

Last edited by SpyDude; 09-30-07 at 12:26 AM.
Old 09-30-07, 01:21 AM

CH.com is the way to go if you just want HD. If only they would accept applications!!! For now, I'm stuck with the regular site, for a few dollars more I get some free dvds .... much better to have the lower price and free shipping all the time, rather than waiting for free shipping codes.
Old 09-30-07, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by SpyDude
I found the thread with the pricing models. Last question, do they charge tax and how do they ship? USPS? UPS? If USPS, is it Media Mail? Tracking? Thanks
They charge tax for some states, although I don't know which. They ship via Media Mail unless you pay 5 bucks per title for an upgrade to Priority.
Old 09-30-07, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SpyDude, If you are looking for a place to buy HD discs that is as reliable as, say, Amazon or DDD, you may find Columbia House difficult to deal with. CH is a club membership outfit and has a lot of quirks. Those of us who put up with them do so because their prices for most DVDs can't be beat. But we pay a price in convenience and hassle.

That said, CH.com is a lot less hassle than the regular club, but reports suggest that it is hard to get new memberships, for unknown reasons. And the two SD DVD enrollment selections are from a very limited list.
Old 10-03-07, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by lizard
SpyDude, If you are looking for a place to buy HD discs that is as reliable as, say, Amazon or DDD, you may find Columbia House difficult to deal with. CH is a club membership outfit and has a lot of quirks. Those of us who put up with them do so because their prices for most DVDs can't be beat. But we pay a price in convenience and hassle.

That said, CH.com is a lot less hassle than the regular club, but reports suggest that it is hard to get new memberships, for unknown reasons. And the two SD DVD enrollment selections are from a very limited list.

I enrolled at CH.com on 9/29 and received my "Welcome to the Club" email today(10/03). This was my 1st time enrolling at CH.com. I'm psyched to get HD-DVDs for cheaper than Fry's.
Old 10-03-07, 12:37 PM

Wow, good for you. I cannot for the life of me figure out why I can't get my dang app accepted. Guess I'll keep trying.
Old 10-05-07, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bareit
I enrolled at CH.com on 9/29 and received my "Welcome to the Club" email today(10/03). This was my 1st time enrolling at CH.com. I'm psyched to get HD-DVDs for cheaper than Fry's.
Congratulations. Thanks for letting us know that some CH.com applications are still going through.
Old 10-08-07, 12:50 PM

Well, well, well. Lookee who got hisself a CH.com membership ...

Took ~4 days to get the email, with two regular club memberships open (one fulfilled, one waiting on a pre-order to complete the deal.) First try, IIRC.