Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

CH.Com Deals

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-07, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sandyk67
What is the difference between columbia house and ch.com?
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=488977
Old 04-11-07, 03:53 PM

When I put CH.com in the address bar all I get is columbia house.
Old 04-11-07, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

^ no, you get ch.com powered by columbia house. there is a difference. Check it out.
Old 04-11-07, 04:23 PM

I just get logged into my account at columbia house.
Old 04-11-07, 04:24 PM

Oh its working now, thanks.
Old 04-21-07, 03:34 PM

I never did get my welcome to the club email but the DVDs I ordered for enrollment came today.

I am thinking of ordering The Greates American Hero complete series, it's $65.99 and of course shipping is free, columbia house shipping on this is outragous so this is a good deal and it would more than count toward my purchase commitments. This same set is 90 something dollars at DeepDiscount and $76.99 at amazon.com, so it is a very good deal.

I think I am going to like CH.com, but do they have sale codes like columbia house? there is a space to enter codes but I don't know of any right now.
Old 04-21-07, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never did get my welcome to the club email but the DVDs I ordered for enrollment came today.

I am thinking of ordering The Greates American Hero complete series, it's $65.99 and of course shipping is free, columbia house shipping on this is outragous so this is a good deal and it would more than count toward my purchase commitments. This same set is 90 something dollars at DeepDiscount and $76.99 at amazon.com, so it is a very good deal.

I think I am going to like CH.com, but do they have sale codes like columbia house? there is a space to enter codes but I don't know of any right now.
no codes at CH.com that is their only perk FREE shipping and NO director's seletions to respond too
Old 04-21-07, 04:19 PM

Thanks, since mostly what I want these days is sets this should work for me, I know you can usually get a free one that would make up for the shipping, I have a hard time finding a free one that I want, think I'll just fulfill this commitment plus the 2 I have in regular DVD club and be done with it for a while. I still have my Disney club which I will keep open even after I buy all my purchase requirments.
Old 04-21-07, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

and you do earn funcash and you also get free shipping in your funcash cart also
Old 04-21-07, 04:26 PM

There is that.
Old 04-22-07, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^FWIW, The Greatest American Hero: The Complete Series 1981 would fulfill your regular club account in one shot. (It is actually worth three fulfillment credits.) If you plan to buy it anyway, that would be the least expensive way to do it, by a wide margin, despite the $7.99 shipping charge.
Old 04-22-07, 12:13 PM

I want to use it to fulfill my CH.com membership, you have less time to do that one and why pay shipping if you don't have to? Besides, I have been using the codes floating around lately to fulfill my commitments on the regular one, like season 3 of Alf and Happy Feet for $22.94, and that is a very good deal cause I've checked around for prices.
Old 04-22-07, 02:32 PM

I want to use it to fulfill my CH.com membership, you have less time to do that one
You have three months, and you can fulfill with ANY titles, even the ones for less than $5 (and there are actually several very good DVDs in that range).

and why pay shipping if you don't have to?
Because of what you gain. To expound on lizard's advice, by buying it through a regular account, you have the chance to get seven DVDs for less than $13 (and that total includes the $8 s/h for the boxset).

I know you said you're mainly interested in TV sets, but how can you pass up a deal in which you're getting 7 DVDs (including a Criterion or just released SE) for $1.85 apiece??

Besides, I have been using the codes floating around lately to fulfill my commitments on the regular one, like season 3 of Alf and Happy Feet for $22.94, and that is a very good deal cause I've checked around for prices.
That is a very good deal, also, and you have the right idea, but there's no reason why you can't do both.

I'm not trying to talk you out of what you think is best for your situation, but this forum is about optimizing deals, and buying a $65 boxset through ch.com is not optimal. I think a lot of people are thrown off by what seems like exorbitant shipping charges for sets on regular accounts. Yes, they're high, but they come with many benefits.
Old 04-22-07, 04:02 PM

Well I would get a free one with the regular club, but only one free one and then it boost the shipping up to ten dollars, it just isn't worth it to me, I don't know how you get the deals you are talking about.
Old 04-22-07, 04:09 PM

BTW, thanks for the tip about any priced title counting toward the CH.com commitment, I didn't know that.
Old 04-22-07, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I've been thinking about spending $5.12 for the Field of Dreams 2-Disc. Not a bad deal since it counts as a commitment. Does anything change benefits-wise when you fulfill your commitments?
Old 04-22-07, 10:21 PM

Well I would get a free one with the regular club, but only one free one and then it boost the shipping up to ten dollars, it just isn't worth it to me, I don't know how you get the deals you are talking about.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was including enrollment titles as part of your package deal. Lizard is much better at explaining these these things, but I'll try to do a basic (and probably way too long) walkthrough on the CH logic:

You're going to buy your set at $65.99, which you've stated is a good price on its own compared to amazon and other retailers. So through ch.com, the benefits are that you save the $8 shipping, and you fulfill your ch.com account. That is undoubtedly a good deal. But it doesn't mean it's the best deal.

Say you open a new regular account. You use an EBP-type code, and *don't* opt for the additional 7th title. So you have 6 DVDs for $2.94. Once accepted, you spend the same $65.99 on your set. You get a free DVD with one of the near-perpetual B1G1 codes (which can be a Criterion or War of the Worlds LE- which is $35 at amazon- or other premium non-enrollment titles), and pay $9.98 in shipping for both the set and the freebie.

So now your choices are: $65.99 for the set by itself.....OR.....$65.99 for the set *plus* seven other DVDs for an extra $12.92 (about $1.85 each). Which deal sounds better?

I just noticed some of your other posts that say you're not too interested in re-joining because you have all the movies you want. That's of course your prerogative, but you might want to reconsider. Do you really have all the great Warner 2-disc SEs you want (Network, The Searchers, All the President's Men, Dog Day Afternoon, Citizen Kane, Goodfellas, the Chaplins, the Peckinpahs, so many more) and the Columbia titles that still sell for $20+, and the recent releases that have become enrollment eligible but are still far away from a significant pricedrop, etc.? For less than $2 each? If nothing else, get em and trade em on the exchange forum here to help buy the sets you want.
Old 04-22-07, 10:37 PM

Well I had just recently opened a new account and I have 2 dvds to fulfill my commitment (this is regular columbia house), if I bought the $65.99 set there, and counted the $12.89 enrollment package (7 DVDs) plus the $9.98 shipping for the set and the free dvd, that would bring my total to $88.86, about $9.87 per DVD, which is really cheap when you consider that the greatest american hero is a 13 disc set, so maybe that's not a bad deal after all. And since any title can fulfill the CH.com I think I will use the cheaper ones, I have a friend who hasn't got the Ten Commandments on DVD yet and they have it on sale for $10, and I also want the Princess Bride buttercup addition. So now all thats left to do is find my freebie to go with the greatest american hero set.

Thanks for taking the time to explain, it was a lot of help.
Old 04-22-07, 10:39 PM

I also forgot to mention the cape that comes with the greatest american hero set, being able to fly has to be worth something too.
Old 04-22-07, 10:40 PM

^^^A couple other things I neglected to mention. Under my plan, you still need to fulfill your ch.com account. You can do that so easily with cheaper titles. Just as an example, choose Rain Man SE (an Best Picture Oscar winner with an anamorphic DVD, 3 commentary tracks and other features) for $4.71 (it sells for $9+ at DDD and every other online retailer) and The Indian Runner (one of my favorite underrated films from the 90s, also $4.71) that also goes for $9+ everywhere else, but there are so many other great films to choose from. My point is, fulfilling your ch.com account should not be of great concern- there are many ways to do it more optimal than buying a $65 set.

And the other thing, which lizard also mentioned in another post, you could do very well with a TV account. A code like LE5D (still comes up as active online, don't know if it would still go through) would get you three enrollment sets for $24.90 with 3 titles to fulfill. So once again, you buy the $65.99 set you want, then pay only an extra $35 TOTAL for *three* extra boxsets (some of which retail for $50+ *each*) AND the premium Criterion or other DVD. You gotta optimize, baby!
Old 04-23-07, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

BTW, thanks for the tip about any priced title counting toward the CH.com commitment, I didn't know that.
Yes, as legend42 said, one of the interesting quirks of CH.com is that the fulfillments can be of any value. Most of us just buy a couple of cheapies that almost aren't worth bothering with in the regular club.
Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
Yeah, I've been thinking about spending $5.12 for the Field of Dreams 2-Disc. Not a bad deal since it counts as a commitment. Does anything change benefits-wise when you fulfill your commitments?
Not really—CH.com is what it is. But I believe that the funcash earned from purchases goes up after the commitments have been purchased, same as in the regular club. Because funcash gets free shipping it is worth more at CH.com than in the regular club.
Old 04-23-07, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ Since I haven't spent much time on the site, I didn't even realize they had Funcash at CH.com, so that's a bonus!
Old 04-28-07, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Second Chaplin collection is $59.95.
Old 05-12-07, 06:42 PM

My "Greatest American Hero" collector series came today! I am not dissapointed, as a matter of fact, I would like to open a new account and order another one for my brother's birthday gift.

As for the free dvd that I got with it, I finally chose "Lawrence of Arabia", which cost $30 on amazon.com and DeepDiscount, not a bad deal at all, I'm glad I went with the suggestions made on here, thanks again for taking the time to help me out on this.
Old 05-13-07, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^I believe that you are mixing up CH.com with the regular Columbia House DVD Club. This thread is intended to post good prices for DVDs at CH.com, which never has sale offers such as BOGOF.

For a discussion of the difference between CH.com and the regular club please visit http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=488977

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.