DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Problem using Firefox to visit columbiahouse.com

Old 01-15-07, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Problem using Firefox to visit columbiahouse.com

Hi,

Is anyone else using Firefox browser? When I visit columbiahouse.com web site, I get the following error message:

500 Error

java.lang.NullPointerException

When I use IE6 or Netscape 7, it seems to display the page correctly. Does anyone know if there is something I need to set in my Firefox browser to have it display the web page correctly?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 01-15-07, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mookiemeister
Hi,

Is anyone else using Firefox browser? When I visit columbiahouse.com web site, I get the following error message:

500 Error

java.lang.NullPointerException

When I use IE6 or Netscape 7, it seems to display the page correctly. Does anyone know if there is something I need to set in my Firefox browser to have it display the web page correctly?

Thanks in advance for any help.
That is a JAVA error. It looks like you're updated OK for IE, but not Firefox. Update your system to the latest version of JAVA at http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp and be sure to use the "offline installation" as there tend to be fewer problems that way.

However, you should be running Firefox 2.0.0.1. If you are not visit www.mozilla.com and dl that version. For best results with the JAVA update, install Firefox first.

I use Firefox all the time and don't have any issues with CH.
Old 01-15-07, 07:11 PM

yeah, definately update your java runtime
Old 01-15-07, 10:33 PM

I just checked my Java runtime on the test page at http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
and it says I have the Java Runtime Version 1.5.0_10 which is the latest version of Java.

I'm using Firefox version 2.0. I'll installed 2.0.0.1 but I have a feeling that won't fix the problem.
Old 01-15-07, 11:42 PM

I just downloaded and installed Firefox 2.0.0.1 and I'm still getting the error message.

Any other suggestions what could be the problem?
Old 01-16-07, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Columbia House works just fine for me using Firefox. My Java shows as 1.5.0_04
Old 01-16-07, 01:00 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I finally figured out what's wrong and it looks like I was able to fix it.

I uninstalled my java runtime and then noticed that IE6 and Netscape 7 still display the page correctly. So the problem wasn't because of the java runtime.

So I cleared my cookies related to columbiahouse.com web site and now it seems to display the page without any problem. I guess my browser just had some bad cookies or something.