Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Is signing up for ch.com worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-07, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is signing up for ch.com worth it?

I know the deal - free shipping on every order, "Just pay the one-time fee of $9.95 then buy 2 DVDs in the next 90 days as a member". How much do the two need to be that you buy in 90 days? Would most of you recommend signing up? Which DVDs are you able to choose from at the start for the two free selections?

I ask this because gjamesm said that ch.com has the Pedro Almodovar Classics Collection for $20.99/shipped. Great deal, but would like to hear opinions on the club first. Thanks!
Old 01-08-07, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's been almost a year since I've joined. The 2 DVDs I bought were both around $10 + tax. I don't think there is a minimum amount. There are quite a few < $6 selections.

I fulfilled within the 90 days with Ten Commandments, 50th Anniversary Ed., 3 Disc, and Fail-Safe, SE (1960).

My account is still active although it's been a few months since I bought anything. Pretty In Pink, Everything's Duckie Ed. for about $9 shipped when it was first released, last September.
Old 01-08-07, 10:43 PM

I still have an account open and use it occasionally for box sets and, as mentioned above, there are a lot of
Old 01-09-07, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's still the offer. 2 DVDs for the $9.95 enrollment fee. I think it's definitely worth it. FREE shipping on boxsets too.
Old 01-09-07, 05:51 PM

Does this count toward the two "Club" memberships allowed? If not, I think that I would finally go for one of these, considering the "buy three and get free shipping" no longer works for sets.
Old 01-09-07, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ In the past, the CH.com and TV Edition Clubs did not count against the number of regular club memberships one could have open. I have had two regular club accounts, one TV Edition, and my CH.com account all open at the same time.
Old 01-11-07, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In answer to the OPs original question: is CH.com worth it? Yes, sometimes it is. You get two DVDs from a very limited list for $9.95. You then can get two more cheap DVDs to fulfill; they can be any price. So, you can get four DVDs for relatively little.

But, is the account worth it later? In some cases it is. Most DVDs can be purchased for less from a regular club membership as a package. But there are a few exceptions: low priced "special" priced DVD sets. If they are priced below $19.95 they can't be used as fulfillments. They can't be purchased as freebies in BOGOF promotions. They hardly ever qualify for free shipping. At times the cheapest way to get them is through CH.com.

Example: recently I purchased The Peacekeeper Wars through my CH.com account for $8.22, free shipping. There is no way I could get it through the regular club for that price. The price was higher at DDD and Amazon, although I could probably get it for 80¢ less next June during the DDD 20% off sale. But I just finished the last episode of Season 4 of Farscape and am I willing to wait until June to watch the mini-series finale to Farscape to save 80¢? Not a chance! (And by the way, no, CH does not sell the superior Farscape Starburst sets; I got mine from DDD during the 20% off sales.)

To sum up CH.com accounts:

Advantages:

• Simplicity, no Director's Selections to fuss with, no sale offer codes, all titles 40% (or more) off regular price, free shipping on everything always.
• The two fulfillments can be any price; just pick any cheap DVDs you want.

Disadvantages:

• The enrollment choices are very limited; there might not be anything you want.
• Most DVDs, including sets, can be had for less through a well optimized regular club account.
• Many DVDs can be had for less at other stores, such as DDD during their semi-annual 20% off sale.
Old 01-11-07, 04:36 PM

Do they carry the same catalog as columbiahouse.com basically?
Old 01-11-07, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the comments. I don't see any reason to really not sign up for it just so you have an account ready when they do have something for a great price.
Old 01-11-07, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

can anyone give an idea of what the difference in price is here versus the regular dvd club prices?
For example:
$14.95 titles in the regular club roughly cost $x.xx at ch.com.
$19.95 titles ...
etc.
Old 01-11-07, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The newest releases are usually around $18 or less. $14.95 MSRP titles $9 or less.

Just looking through the pre-orders, I see they have Gandhi, 25th Anniversary for $9.98 -- it's also a 2 disc. Release date is 2/13.

Remember it's FREE shipping and there are no B1G1 codes.
Old 01-11-07, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a TV club and i don't get FREE shipping on TV SETS ? is there something I am not doing right thanks

I know with Codes you can get DVDS with FREE shipping but never sets ...
Old 01-12-07, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DisneyDVDFAN
I have a TV club and i don't get FREE shipping on TV SETS ? is there something I am not doing right thanks

I know with Codes you can get DVDS with FREE shipping but never sets ...
TV Edition accounts are just like regular DVD club accounts. Sale offer codes work and free shipping is rarely available for sets. You don't need to buy sets to fulfill anyway; any DVD over $19.95 will count for fulfillment.

With sets, the shipping cost should just be viewed as part of the price of ordering them. Most sets over $39.95 are still cheaper at CH than elsewhere, when fulfillment credit is figured.
Old 01-18-07, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I recommend keeping a ch.com account open at all times. I regret letting my previous one lapse and recently started another.
Old 01-18-07, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have 2 regular ch.com accounts open, can I also open one with ch tv? I don't know if it is 2 max including TV accounts.
Old 01-19-07, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ I think you mean that you have two regular DVD club accounts at columbiahouse.com. CH.com is a different club entirely (all DVDs 40% off list price, free shipping on everything, no sale offers like B1G1F).

In the past one could have two regular DVD Club accounts and two TV Edition accounts and a CH.com account open at the same time. So far as we have been able to determine, this is still true.
Old 01-19-07, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll give it a shot tonight.
Old 01-24-07, 08:42 AM

Would someone with a ch.com account please advise if the 2-disc editions of Flyboys or The Departed are available at CH.com? Those are two that aren't showing up at Columbia House (which begs some speculation above the future under BMG, etc., etc. ...)

TIA
Old 01-24-07, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by skidmark
Would someone with a ch.com account please advise if the 2-disc editions of Flyboys or The Departed are available at CH.com? Those are two that aren't showing up at Columbia House (which begs some speculation above the future under BMG, etc., etc. ...)

TIA
the 2-disc of the departed shows up at columbiahouse.com
Old 01-24-07, 09:24 AM
Banned

i've never regret anything more.
Old 01-24-07, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

TIA
Once one is a member, the catalog of titles is identical in both CH.com and regular DVD club accounts. Even the selection numbers are the same; only the prices are different.

As riotinmyskull pointed out, 4623005 The Departed Special Edition (Pre-Order) is available from the regular DVD club, as well as CH.com.
Old 01-24-07, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hi. I am considering giving this a shot. Can someone tell me how much Charles in Charge Season One would be through CH.com? I've been wanting to get it through Columbia House, but the shipping it like $8 for it.

I need more Baio in my collection.
Old 01-24-07, 06:35 PM

I don't know if it's a bargain, but...

Charles in Charge: The Complete First Season
List Price $22.98
Special Club Price $13.79 no other purchase necessary
(You save $9.19)
Old 01-24-07, 08:44 PM

I order almost all my dvds from ch.com. They have excellent prices on box sets and the free shipping (even on funcash orders) just sweetens the deal.

Just ordered "This Film is Not Yet Rated" for $9.95
Old 01-24-07, 08:50 PM

TIA
Flyboys: no, only the single disc release.
Departed: yes, $20.99 Same price currently at Amazon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.