DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Lost my funcash with new year

Old 01-03-07, 02:06 PM

UPDATE: Lost my funcash with new year

Has anyone had any luck getting columbia house to reinstate their funcash into the new year? I had about $38 dollars in funcash almost all completely earned in december. It isnt much but still its several DVD's, if anyone has any insight let me know? thanks

*UPDATE*

I received a response from a CSR that to prevent this misunderstanding i have been credited the $38 in funcash. I think that its awesome they would do that, considering they didnt have to. Its just their policy kind of sucks for December purchases.

Last edited by michaema; 01-22-07 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-03-07, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was only good through 12/31. I had forgot this as well, and lost $15.
Old 01-03-07, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

CH decided to play hardball this year. In the past, they would extend FC for a few extra months or they would let you keep $10 of your FC for the new year. This year, they dumped it all.
Old 01-03-07, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
CH decided to play hardball this year. In the past, they would extend FC for a few extra months or they would let you keep $10 of your FC for the new year. This year, they dumped it all.
That sucks, i was expecting them to extend it as i completely forgot. I contacted a CSR and he submitted a note to the "apropriate department" and they should contact me in a day or two on whether or not they can do anything. Who knows i may get lucky...
Old 01-03-07, 04:52 PM

I considered spending mine, but it was only $10 and any movie I buy with it would end up being about the same price as normal anyways.

I can't imagine you have too much chance of getting it back since it's clearly stated it's good until the 31st.
Old 01-06-07, 03:17 PM

yeah shipping basically makes funcash useless most of the year. sad to say.
Old 01-06-07, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You need at least around $20 in FC to make it worthwhile, unless you find one of the box sets or something that's at a lower price in the FC cart, and the $10 actually makes it that much better. For example, that's how I got the Film Noir Collection Vol. 3. With $20+, you can get many of the normal DVDs for just a few bucks, $2 or a little more.
Old 01-06-07, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got my FC title today. Ordered "Crumb", SE using $17 FC ($6.xx, shipped) last Saturday, 12/30. That was pretty quick. The invoice is dated 1/2.
Old 01-20-07, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This was my first time getting any funcash, but I had it from about December 19 to the 31st. Then poof. I never noticed it was so short lived and think the program sucks.
Old 01-20-07, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tasha99
This was my first time getting any funcash, but I had it from about December 19 to the 31st. Then poof. I never noticed it was so short lived and think the program sucks.
It lasts until the end of the calendar year, so "short lived" is kinda relative. I had fc sitting in there for 6 months, but I make sure I know the expiration date on it and use it all before time runs out.
Old 01-20-07, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Funcash is a mixed bag... Before BMG purchased CH you could only "cash in" at certain, very limited, times during a calendar year. However, you could typically have up to $10 funcash carry over from one year to the next. Even last year (2005-2006) CH did a FC carryover. This year they pretty much caught everyone off guard by "expiring" any you had left with NO carryover. It really sucks if you earned FC during December because it can be VERY difficult to actually use over a short period. For example: On my very fullfiled account (I keep it open for "very special sales") I had a balance of $8 and earned $16 worth December 22nd. For the next few days my balance bounced between $8 and $24. I watched for a day when it was all "active" and used all but $5. For the next few days it would show either a $5 total or -$14! I was thinking of using it in case a rollover did not occur, but the last 3 days of the year my account always showed a negative balance. January 1st the balance was correct but the link to use it was gone. January 2nd it disappeared completely! I'm not too concerned because I got a heck of a deal on a box set during the box set sale due to the fc shopping cart error (got a regular $78 set for $45 - shipping included!).

Do I think it's a bad program? Not really, but CH should re-think their policy and do a carryover for any earned during December, especially during years like '06 when there were LOTS of incentives to purchase and thus earn large amounts of FC. While tempted, I forced myself to not take advantage of a couple of good sales the last week of December because of possible problems with FC carryover.

The other side of this is that a lot of us regularly cycle accounts and don't usually earn more than $2-$3 before closing the account. In those cases... who cares about FC as that amount only equates to free shipping on a single selection? Account cycling is a much better return for the money.
Old 01-20-07, 12:18 PM

I placed an order on 12-31-06 for a bunch of those cheapie MGM titles that resulted in $16 of Funcash. Sadly, I never saw the Funcash. I didn't get the usual immediate appearance of Funcash in my balance after placing the order, and then it just never appeared. To add insult to injury, the Funcash order I placed on the same day included the new Fish Called Wanda Deluxe Edition. I received a letter last week from CH telling me they had exhausted their stock of that title. The $23 of Funcash I "spent" on that title appears to have disappeared too. When it's all said and done, I've lost almost $40 in Funcash on a days worth of transactions. I sent them an e-mail last week about the matter and they haven't responded.
Old 01-22-07, 03:28 AM
azs

I placed an order on 12-30-06, which was shipped on January 8th (according to the website, Funcash is applied after the shipping date). However, I never saw the Funcash credit appear in my account. I sent an email to Customer Service, which just responded that to prevent further "misunderstanding" they would credit my account with $5. I wrote them back saying that according to the policy posted on the website, I should receive credit for $8.

We shall see...

I've never participated in any kind of bonus program like this where credits expire by a certain date no matter when they are earned. It would make a lot more sense to have them expire within a certain amount of time (with BMG, points never expire, so maybe the CH policy will eventually mirror that one).
Old 01-22-07, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by azs
...(with BMG, points never expire, so maybe the CH policy will eventually mirror that one).
Actually with BMG Music Service "MUSIC POINTS will expire on a rolling basis two years from receipt." Which makes them not so good either. It was CH CD club where the points never expired.
Old 01-22-07, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
...will expire on a rolling basis two years from receipt...
That would have been far better than what CH actually did.
Old 01-22-07, 07:57 PM

agreed...that is why I don't get enticed by their triple the funcash deals (such as the deal going on now!).
Old 01-22-07, 11:07 PM
azs

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Actually with BMG Music Service "MUSIC POINTS will expire on a rolling basis two years from receipt." Which makes them not so good either. It was CH CD club where the points never expired.
Oh! I stand corrected. In any event, I've never had a problem with the points expiring and have gotten quite a few free CDs (I generally wait until they have $5.99 CDs with free shipping before I buy).

If CH would follow a similar policy, I would be very happy with it.