DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Slightly Off Topic: CH/BMG Music

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-06, 05:25 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slightly Off Topic: CH/BMG Music

Hi,
This is slightly off topic, but has anyone tried the CH/BMG Music Club? It seems to say you get a total of 11 free CDs and you only have to pay for 1 at 14.95. Is there some kind of catch to this? Because this seems too good to be true.

Thanks.
Old 01-20-06, 06:30 PM

The catch would be the shipping and handling charge, which I think is $2.79/CD. Also, most single discs are priced from $17.98-$18.98. You also have to deal with reply cards. I've been a member for almost 10 years, and like the DVD club, the best buys are had with periodic sale codes. There is a music club thread at dvdtalk (http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=354625) where codes are posted, but it's nothing like the number of posts in the DVD Clubs forum. Just recently, careful ordering with a "60% off, plus free shipping" code resulted in an average CD price of $4. Overall, I've been pleased with my membership at BMG.
Old 01-20-06, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
The cd shipping costs is what has me hesitant to even fulfill my one account. I know I will have to in the end but I end up spending more on average (at least very close to) for cds than I do with dvds.
Old 01-20-06, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
If you don't want 15 cd's at once, check out
www.yourmusic.com
It's a BMG club, but it works a little differently.
Build a 'music queue', and for 5.99 a month, they send you one disk a month, free shipping, no tax. You can buy add'l stuff at any time for 5.99/disk, no ship/no tax. I was with them for about five months last year, then rejoined to get a single disk for someone's Christmas present.

You can get a decent average cost per disk with BMG or CH's clubs, but yeah, I hate paying 21.97 or whatever for one cd, even if I got 18 free three months ago.

Last edited by tonyc3742; 01-20-06 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-20-06, 07:53 PM

BMG averages out to about $4 per CD. You pay $3 for each of the "free" ones and $18 (min) for the fulfillment. That's $51 / 12 CD's = ~$4. You'll save a few more bucks by selecting the "double" selections during enrollment and also by refering yourself for your next account (gets you 3 to 5 more @ $3).
Old 01-20-06, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The way that I work the BMG deal is as follows-

7 CDs for 19.53($2.79 per CD shipping)
1 fulfillment CD for $18.97($17.98 less 10% for first online order=$16.18 plus $2.79 shipping)
3 CDs for $8.37(part of a buy 1 get 3 free promotion:$2.79 x 3 for shipping)
4 CDs for $11.16($2.79 x 4 for shipping)

Total of $58.03 for 15 CDs($3.87 per CD)
Old 01-20-06, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dtcarson
If you don't want 15 cd's at once, check out
www.yourmusic.com
It's a BMG club, but it works a little differently.
Build a 'music queue', and for 5.99 a month, they send you one disk a month, free shipping, no tax. You can buy add'l stuff at any time for 5.99/disk, no ship/no tax. I was with them for about five months last year, then rejoined to get a single disk for someone's Christmas present.

You can get a decent average cost per disk with BMG or CH's clubs, but yeah, I hate paying 21.97 or whatever for one cd, even if I got 18 free three months ago.
Hmmm . . . I'm getting charged sales tax each month, shipping is FREE. Still a good deal @ $6.48/mo. I've been a member since just after it was introduced, December 2004.
Old 01-20-06, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was a member of yourmusic when it was $4.99 a month, but when they changed it to $5.99, I cancelled. You can reactivate your account at any time if you decide to come back after cancelling. At least a few times a year, the regular BMG club has the same offer of all CDs for $5.99 with free shipping. As far as having to cancel featured selections, they send you a reminder e-mail several days before the deadline and you can cancel it online. No fuss, no muss.
Old 01-20-06, 09:55 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the tip, guys. Your information is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-21-06, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How frequently do the codes pop up? And what is the best code combo that usually shows up?
Old 01-21-06, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Sales tax might differ based on what state you're in. Maybe you're in the state they ship from, or are based in?
I was with them at5.99, then cancelled and rejoined at 4.99, then cancelled a few months after it went to 5.99. Now I just reactivate if/when I want a specific cd. I'm not really buying Cds much anymore, otherwise I would stay with them. Granted, you can get a cheaper average if you work at the other clubs, but that's not really fun for me anymore.
Old 01-21-06, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by bballing
How frequently do the codes pop up? And what is the best code combo that usually shows up?
A new promo code (not the offer in a typical mailing) seems to pop up around once a month. Around the holidays, a promo code was hitting my e-mail account once a week. The best recent codes have been for "60% off plus free shipping" and "$5.99 CDs plus free shipping if 5 or more are ordered". The latter code is great for box sets since most free shipping codes do not apply to "specially priced items". I've never used yourmusic.com, so their box set prices may be comparable to what can be obtained with this promotion. Mainly, free shipping is the most desirable incentive (shipping is often $8 and up on box sets). Also, the general sluggishness in industry sales have resulted in some lower pricing on quite a few 2 disc sets (mainly the Universal "Gold" series) that can be had for $7.99 with the 60% off code (the $4/CD I mentioned in an earlier post). Admittedly, I'm "old school" in wanting to have that physical CD in my hands as opposed to downloading it from iTunes or elsewhere. I still dig the packaging even if it has shrunk drastically since the days of vinyl. Of course DVDs offer more bang for the buck, so I'm guessing that is why the Music Club thread has minimal activity. Anyway, the promo codes I've mentioned tend to get posted at the Music Club thread when they do pop up and they tend to be valid anywhere from a day to a week.
Old 01-21-06, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for that great info Zuvembieman.
Old 01-21-06, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Zuvembieman
I'm "old school" in wanting to have that physical CD in my hands as opposed to downloading it from iTunes or elsewhere. I still dig the packaging even if it has shrunk drastically since the days of vinyl.
Me too. Over 40?
Old 01-21-06, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by viking99
Me too. Over 40?
Getting there...I'm 36.
Old 01-21-06, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

please post in the thread in hot deals..