Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

ch.com questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-05, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ch.com questions

i remember seeing a discussion awhile ago, that a ch.com account would count as one of your two regular club memberships? is this actually true, i was considering checking it out, but right now i keep one long standing account open so i can browse everything, take avangtage of deals of the day, and such - i would much prefer to be able to keep that open, a ch.com account, and be able to cycle one account...

is this possible?
Old 07-05-05, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I believe it is, as I've done it before.
Old 07-05-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 3 regular accts and 1 ch.com acct.
Old 07-05-05, 02:19 PM

now on that note, do u think it's worth it to get a ch.com account?
Old 07-05-05, 02:26 PM

Yes, definitely. Even more so when, like us vets, you have problems getting new accounts open. Plus, it is a great place to transfer Funcash [if you can manage doing that].
Old 07-05-05, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely. 40-60% off movies and free shipping. Makes for some great deals.
Old 07-05-05, 09:07 PM

are you getting deals that are better then the 6 something per disc range though? even if it involves codes or sales or specialty shops or something?
Old 07-05-05, 09:55 PM

Sometimes you can. For instance, I posted a deal recently that allowed one to get 12 $12.95 titles and $24 Funcash for ~$39 or 8 $14.95 titles for nearly the same price with $16 in Funcash. But I use it mainly for the DotD, Funcash transfer/redemption, and titles I don't want the hassle of joining again to obtain.
Old 07-06-05, 03:40 AM

Plus, Ch.com is consistently one of the best places to get box sets (other than re-joining the TV Club over and over again, which still limits your choices) as the prices are at least 10% less than the regular club rate. I'm always getting CH.com offers that are often similar to the typical TV/DVD club mailings, but with free shipping. From time to time, even new discs will debut at a really low price or go on sale like a week or two later (that happened with The Woodsman) and most FunCash specials (buy such and such disc, get extra Funcash) apply at Ch.com as well (but the disc is usually $2 cheaper and shipping is free). I've got thre CH accounts (Ch.com, DVD Club, TV Club), but almost all my purchases come from Ch.com.
Old 07-06-05, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just for the record, these are the terms of a CH.com account:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HERE'S HOW IT WORKS:

GET UNLIMITED ACCESS TO EVERY DAY LOW PRICES on over 8,000 titles. Buy all the DVDs you want at 40-60% off the list price and get free shipping all the time. Sign up now for a one-time access fee of just $9.95 and get 2 FREE DVDs once you're enrolled - the shipping's on us!

ALL DVDs 40-60% OFF!
OVER 8,000 DVDs
including new and upcoming releases and much more!

FREE SHIPPING Standard shipping is always on us!

HASSLE-FREE, SECURE SHOPPING- Shop online 24 hours a day on our members-only site.

LET US HELP- if you ever have a problem, reach us online or call 1-800-901-6682.

NO CARDS TO RETURN EVER No monthly postal mailing, no automatic shipments. Shop when and how you want.

CAN I RETURN A DVD? If you ever receive a DVD that's damaged, you can return it at our expense.

HOW DO I GET THIS GREAT DEAL? Just pay the one-time fee of $9.95 then buy 2 DVDs in the next 90 days as a member. That's it.

WHEN CAN I START SHOPPING? Within 2-3 days after signing up, we'll let you know by email if you've been approved. You can start shopping as soon as you receive it.

VIDEO GAMES You also get the same FREE SHIPPING and great deals on the hottest video games.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The two enrollment DVDs are selected from a list of a hundred or so; no search function.

Last edited by lizard; 07-06-05 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-06-05, 03:04 PM

I also have used it for sets and FunCash. Even with the restriction, an average set is $35 or so everyday, and then ends up at $25 using $10 funcash. Then no shipping charge, which is what kills you on the sets.

I took advantage of the recent $10 off a $40 order combined with buy 3 get one free to get films at less than $5 apiece. I definitely recommend getting and keeping one ch.com account.
Old 07-18-05, 11:22 AM

I just received my approval email for a CH.com membership, and was wondering if the $5 webdiscount on first-time orders over $30 applies?
Thanks,
Scott
Old 07-18-05, 04:09 PM

With so many clubs it gets confusing. Are there any special ch.com signup codes with a better deal, or is there only the standard offer as stated in lizard's post?
Old 07-18-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ch.com Is Great

I definitely recommend getting and keeping one ch.com account.
DITTO

I just received my approval email for a CH.com membership, and was wondering if the $5 webdiscount on first-time orders over $30 applies?
Scott, I am unsure if that one will work, but this triple funcash - 800192 is working for me. I think CH.com is way underated to score some cheap box sets real fast when they are doing triple fun cash. All at least 40% off with free shipping.

An example, buy any of the $29.99 list sets and their like $17 plus earns $12 funcash. There are a lot of good sets at that price.
Old 07-18-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A good example of having this club to simply buy 1 title at a great price would be the upcoming 2-disc Constantine. Ch.com has it for $18.59 shipped. The cheapest I've seen this one online is $21.69 at amazon.
Old 07-19-05, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by BKenn01
DITTO

Scott, I am unsure if that one will work, but this triple funcash - 800192 is working for me. I think CH.com is way underated to score some cheap box sets real fast when they are doing triple fun cash. All at least 40% off with free shipping.

An example, buy any of the $29.99 list sets and their like $17 plus earns $12 funcash. There are a lot of good sets at that price.
Thank you for the code. I placed an order today (yes, the webdvd discount applied) and received $42 in funcash (!). Using the formula, I fulfilled as follows:

2(9.95) + 7(66.48) -(5.00 webdvd) + 3(44.85) -(42 funcash) = $6.19 average cost. That's damn near as good as cycling through LMT accounts. From now on CH.com is basically on a par with DDD. Oh, one of the titles I got (using their 5 $19.95 titles for $50 sale) was a gift set, so I couldn't get it as an enrollment anyway, which is even sweeter.

I like CH.com.
Old 07-19-05, 11:27 PM

Since I did that post, I also used that code to pre-order Constantine: Deluxe Edition and 5 Film Noir: Killer Classics and received another $18 in funcash. So on this CH.com membership my cost works out as follows:

2/$9.95 + 7/66.48 (two fulfillment titles and 5 $19.95 titles for $50) -$5 webdvd + 6/$39.23 +4/$60 -$60 funcash =$5.82 average cost per disc. And that included California sales tax! Of these, one was a boxed set, one was a deluxe edition of a title that will probably never be an enrollment, and of the five $19.95 titles I received for $50, two (Silverado Giftset and Highlander: Ultimate Edition) are not enrollment titles.

I thank all of you who share this information, it's things like that which make this forum worthwhile--and frankly, without the intelligence from this site with which to formulate a strategy for gaming CH, it's not worth the hassle. However, it is really fun seeing just how low we can get them to go.
Old 07-20-05, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ You have done well working the deals on your CH.com account. But it probably isn't "fair" to include the funcash in your calculation since it's "value" is often quite a bit less than dollar for dollar. Depends on what one buys with it though. Without counting the funcash I make your average out to be $7.11 per DVD, which is quite good and CH.com is a lot less hassle than the regular club.

If funcash is used to buy a regular DVD that can be had as an enrollment or $19.95 fulfillment in the regular DVD club then its value is substantially less than one dollar. For example, if you were to purchase a $21.95 DVD with funcash it would cost you full price in funcash yet would be "worth" only $5.86, the average cost of a DVD in the regular club.

On the other hand, if you used the funcash to get an additional $10 off a set, that might be a valuable use for it. Depends on what one could get a set for in the regular club (often much less than at CH.com if one is using it for fulfillment credit, but it depends on the sale price of the set).
Old 07-20-05, 02:09 PM

If you look closely, you'll notice that the funcash basically doesn't enter into the total. What it did, was give me four additional DVDs to divide into what I actually spent. I understand that a title that costs $19.95 in funcash could probably be picked up for less than six if we quickly cycled through an account. However, there are some exceptions to this:
1. Using a code, I received three times the amount of funcash that I would have ordinarily, which increased my actual purchasing power;
2. Some of the titles I selected were not available as enrollment titles;
3. Since there was free shipping, I didn't have to pay any out of pocket to pick up my "free titles."
Ordinarily I do not regard funcash as much of an incentive, and certainly don't do for a regular LMT account. But seriously, for the amount of money I paid out I picked up four $14.95 titles without paying a dime. That's what brought the average down.

Originally Posted by lizard
^ You have done well working the deals on your CH.com account. But it probably isn't "fair" to include the funcash in your calculation since it's "value" is often quite a bit less than dollar for dollar. Depends on what one buys with it though. Without counting the funcash I make your average out to be $7.11 per DVD, which is quite good and CH.com is a lot less hassle than the regular club.

If funcash is used to buy a regular DVD that can be had as an enrollment or $19.95 fulfillment in the regular DVD club then its value is substantially less than one dollar. For example, if you were to purchase a $21.95 DVD with funcash it would cost you full price in funcash yet would be "worth" only $5.86, the average cost of a DVD in the regular club.

On the other hand, if you used the funcash to get an additional $10 off a set, that might be a valuable use for it. Depends on what one could get a set for in the regular club (often much less than at CH.com if one is using it for fulfillment credit, but it depends on the sale price of the set).
Old 07-20-05, 02:53 PM

very well played scott, very well played.
Old 07-20-05, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just signed up and didnt see this thread. But where do you enter the codes on the site. I swear it seems like they're trying to hide it.
Old 07-20-05, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by lukewarmwater
I just signed up and didnt see this thread. But where do you enter the codes on the site. I swear it seems like they're trying to hide it.
Originally Posted by SFranke
On your CH homepage is a horizontal blue bar. In that bar is your deal, usually something like "UNLIMITED 50% OFF." Under that is small linked text that says, "Looking for the offer in your mailing?" Clicking that link will open a small window where you can put the 8XXXXX code.
Not all codes work at CH.com, but the double and triple Funcash codes do, as do the occasional "$X off a $XX purchase" codes. Rule of thumb: if a code turns all the prices to ****, then it doesn't work at CH.com.

Also, you might want to shorten your signature before a mod stomps your ass.