DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

DDD sale is on!!

Old 06-17-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DDD sale is on!!

Just want to make sure my fellow deal watchers here release that everyone's favorite sale, 20% off at DeepDiscountDVD.com Now it's time to get all those non-CH DVDs at the best price. Use the promotion code DVDTALK (although before, there were a handful of others as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are this time too) check the main page here at DVDTalk for a little more info
Old 06-17-05, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ummm. Ok.

Let me ask this...After some of the deals I've got from CH, I am really unimpressed with the 20% off prices at DDD. Anyone else? I mean sure it's good for the criterions, boxsets, etc. that CH doesn't carry but it's not really that mindblowing.
Old 06-17-05, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I only get the discs during the DDD sale that I can't from CH.

But if they don't fix this whole CH website thing came up early this morning -- I don't know.
Old 06-17-05, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Let me ask this...After some of the deals I've got from CH, I am really unimpressed with the 20% off prices at DDD. Anyone else? I mean sure it's good for the criterions, boxsets, etc. that CH doesn't carry but it's not really that mindblowing.
I wouldn't use the term 'unimpressed', but I must admit that my (rediculously large) DDD order consisted almost entirely of boxsets, Criterions, and individual titles that CH doesn't carry. I think CH and DDD compliment each other nicely and for me they are the source of about 90% of the DVDs I buy.
Old 06-17-05, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How about LESS ASTONISHED instead of UNIMPRESSED?
Old 06-17-05, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How about LESS ASTONISHED instead of UNIMPRESSED?
Excellent
Old 06-17-05, 09:28 AM

You simply can't compare anything to CH, there is nothing that can beat them for the titles they offer, but you have the deal with their bs sometimes (and get an account open in the first place).
DDD almost always has the cheapest (regular) prices even without 20% off, so this can't be beat because there are plenty of titles that CH doesn't have. I even ordered a few titles that CH does have because it takes time to cycle through accounts, and I don't want to start another one right now.
Between CH and DDD, they get 90+% of my business. They compliment each other nicely. I know it's hard, but try not to be a CH snob, mmm-kay?
Old 06-17-05, 10:32 AM

Is it not a good option to buy NON ch titles off of ebay instead of DDD?

Case in point.. The Day After Tomorrow (CE) DDD with discount $15.80 free ship.

Ebay.. brand new in package. $8.99 shipping included.

Drawbacks?
Old 06-17-05, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Personally, I wouldn't buy any DVD from eBay... But that's just me.

Let me ask this...After some of the deals I've got from CH, I am really unimpressed with the 20% off prices at DDD. Anyone else?

I spent a grand total of $24.XX at DDD last night on 4 titles that CH doesn't carry. Granted, my wishlist is pretty small, but for titles that CH keeps in stock, DDD can't touch em.

Also not quite sure why we need a DDD thread in clubs... No offense intended joltman.
Old 06-17-05, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by j-bo

Link, please. I'm not seeing anything like that.
Old 06-17-05, 11:00 AM

Ha.. you gonna buy it before me eh? Just kidding.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Old 06-17-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the link. With 3 days left of bidding, it will be interesting to see what the final price will be.
Old 06-17-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
...Also not quite sure why we need a DDD thread in clubs... No offense intended joltman.
It helps remind people that now is the time to pick up DVDs that Columbia House does not carry at the best prices one is likely to find. If joltman hadn't posted this thread I would have.

A reminder: Studios that CH doesn't carry include Fox, Disney, Pixar, Miramax, Dimension, Touchstone. CH also has only a limited selection of Criterions (but may be adding more).

For me, the DDD sale was a chance to pick up some more copies of Firefly The Complete Series for $23.91 shipped. I will use them as gifts for friends and family.
Old 06-17-05, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

lizard: I understand that, but there is an "Announcement: It's Back - The Huge DeepDiscountDVD.com Sale 06-17-05 gkleinman (Founder)" pinned to the top of every forum and subforum on the boards.

That's all I'm sayin'... Carry on!
Old 06-17-05, 11:19 AM

I had my DDD wishlist crammed full, but then I thought about it and then knew I could get most of my list at CH, probably as .49 cent enrollments. So, I ordered a few boxsets and a superbit CH didn't have.
Old 06-17-05, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by j-bo

Drawbacks?
How about these from my DDD 20% purchase:

Seinfeld 1&2 $30
Seinfeld 3 $25
Seinfeld 4 $25
Simpsons 5 $28
TwiZone def 1 $64
TwiZone def 2 $52

Those are shipped prices (I use the DDD free shipping). All of those are going for WAY more than that on ebay, especially with the outragous shipping some sellers charge. I've been checking ebay almost daily for the past few weeks, and finally realized that DDD will be much cheaper with no hassle.

Don't get me wrong, ebay can offer up good deals, but not always.

On the other hand, I rarely buy a dvd elsewhere if Columbia House carries it, since the ~$7 average price is nearly impossible to beat. I've had 30+ memberships over the past few years.

Richard
Old 06-17-05, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
lizard: I understand that, but there is an "Announcement: It's Back - The Huge DeepDiscountDVD.com Sale 06-17-05 gkleinman (Founder)" pinned to the top of every forum and subforum on the boards.

That's all I'm sayin'... Carry on!
For the record, that link was not up there when I made that post, and I just wanted to make sure other CH-ers that go right to this forum knew about it (seeing as how I am one that does that, and just happened to check the main site today)
Old 06-17-05, 11:53 AM

Ebay usually has single dvd's for a good price. Just buyer beware as usual and check shipping as you said.

Sets are almost always high priced on ebay though. Star Wars trilogy that I want for one is very high on ebay, better deal on DDD. Learning a lesson here!

I was just wondering if ya'll had input on why not ebay is all. I've only ordered a few dvd's off ebay and haven't had a problem yet.
Old 06-17-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I used to love eBay and Half.com. I got most all of my buffy, angel, and sopranos on there CHEAP and in great shape.

I think this thread is good since we can also discuss how CH has affected your purchases with other retailers. Browsing through some people's purchases in the "20% Off" DDD sale thread just made me feel bad. They are spending hundreds on discs they could be getting for 49 cents. We need to increase CH awareness. Or do we?
Old 06-17-05, 01:35 PM

I think this thread is good since we can also discuss how CH has affected your purchases with other retailers. Browsing through some people's purchases in the "20% Off" DDD sale thread just made me feel bad. They are spending hundreds on discs they could be getting for 49 cents. We need to increase CH awareness. Or do we?
49 cents is a little misleading. You still have to buy the fulfillments.

I always consider my CH prices as an average over the membership, which usually works out to ~$7 per disc.

But your point is valid, not just about the DDD 20% off, but also with the entire "DVD bargain" dvdtalk discussion. Those people get all excited about some new SE disc on sale for $15 at Best Buy or wherever. Worked into a CH membership as a pre-order, I get it for ~$7, and that includes the tax and shipping. Now that's the real bargain !!

Richard
Old 06-17-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Stern
49 cents is a little misleading. You still have to buy the fulfillments.

I always consider my CH prices as an average over the membership, which usually works out to ~$7 per disc.

But your point is valid, not just about the DDD 20% off, but also with the entire "DVD bargain" dvdtalk discussion. Those people get all excited about some new SE disc on sale for $15 at Best Buy or wherever. Worked into a CH membership as a pre-order, I get it for ~$7, and that includes the tax and shipping. Now that's the real bargain !!

Richard
Occasionally someone will pipe in with that point in one of those "I drove to seven Best Buys and saved $3 on 'The Aviator.' What a great deal!" They just don't appreciate it when you tell them you got it for $8 or $10 less than their great deal through CH.

I also think this thread isn't a bad idea. Some CH junkies here may not get to the Bargains Forum that often. I too use DDD to complete the holes CH leaves in my wishlist. And after the FC fiasco, I filled all of my box set wants at DDD, all of which would have gone to CH under the old rules.
Old 06-17-05, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Richard Stern
Your points are valid but it isn't always about the best price. I came to the point where I have purchased just about everything I want... and that happened a while ago. I must wait for new releases to muster enough titles for a new account. Sometimes I wait for a new release to become available as an enrollment but if I know I want it and really want to see it I plunk down the $15 at Best Buy. It beats going to a theater, which is something I've grown to hate. IMO, the main bargain forum still has a lot to offer. You won't find 15 disc superbowl sets for $30 at CH.
Old 06-17-05, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree, I see some huge orders in the ddd thread, and sometimes for dvd's that I paid half or less through other deals including columbiahouse. I am going to pick up a few dvd's from ddd that I can't get at ch or are ~$7 anyways. Also considering Seinfeld and some other boxsets. I think some people go a little too crazy with ddd, but for some it isn't the money it's the convenience of not going through the ch system.
Old 06-17-05, 04:03 PM

There are the rare times when the DDD sale even beats CH. In my order next week, I'll get The Crimson Rivers for $4.80, as well as some documentaries, Criterions, and animie not available at CH
Old 06-17-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Easy
Your points are valid but it isn't always about the best price. I came to the point where I have purchased just about everything I want... and that happened a while ago. I must wait for new releases to muster enough titles for a new account.
I am in the same boat. But I don't mind waiting; it is not like I don't have enough DVDs to watch!
Sometimes I wait for a new release to become available as an enrollment but if I know I want it and really want to see it I plunk down the $15 at Best Buy. It beats going to a theater, which is something I've grown to hate. IMO, the main bargain forum still has a lot to offer.
True. And the DDD sale is the best of the lot IMO.
You won't find 15 disc superbowl sets for $30 at CH.
You might if you asked Columbia House to carry them. That has been known to work with other titles.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.