DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

DDD sale is on!!

Old 06-17-05, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem with telling others that the DVDs they are ordering elsewhere could be had cheaper at Columbia House is that one will likely get flamed. Some will respond out of ignorance with myths about CH. Others consider CH too much hassle, a valid concern. When the opportunity presents itself to mention that you got a title for such and such at CH, you can do that. But people get annoyed at those who preach that they could get something they have purchased elsewhere for less at Columbia House.

This forum isn't impossible to find. Those who are interested in bargain DVDs can discover the information they need here if they wish. The others can fritter away their money; some are wealthy enough that they don't much care.
Old 06-17-05, 04:54 PM

I agree with you Lizard, I was very anti-CH (problems with the music club a long time ago) until I came across this board. Even then I was still skeptical for a while until I got a read on how everyone's experiences were. I finally took the plunge and I was extremely pleased with my initial account. Everything about the codes the board recommended and how to handle CH went flawlessly and I was amazed on how fast my DVD's arrived! To me, you would almost have to be crazy not to take advantage of the deals you can get using the codes provided to lower your DVD cost.

I've got a long list of DVD's I want and it will probably be a very long time before I go to a Best Buy or any where else again (unless I can't get it at CH).
Old 06-17-05, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I am sort of in the same boat where I really only want box sets.

So, should I go with DDD or CH? They both seem to carry the same sets I want.
Old 06-17-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Eric F

Depends on the particular set. Last week I ordered Warner Gangsters Collection and Classic Comedies Collection from CH. The prices were about the same as DDD minus 20% (inc. shipping and tax), but with the 'buy one, get one' deal I was able to also get 2 FREE Criterions (8 1/2 & Hearts and Minds) - so Ch was a MUCH better deal. On the other hand, I ordered about a dozen boxsets yesterday from DDD that were better deals than CH - even with the B1G1 deal.

One word of advice... The B1G1 sale at CH ends late tonight (6-17), so you should probably make a decision very soon (or wait until CH has another similar deal).
Old 06-17-05, 06:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Eric F

Well if you want Miramax, Fox, Buena Vista and Criterion titles, you gotta go with DDD. I hit DDD for their box sets and go with CH for the quick $20 in-and-out titles.
Old 06-17-05, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I ordered some non-CH items from the DDD sale. My only regret is buying the Black Hawk Down Superbit. I wish I would have just got the three disc set as a CH fulfillment item (and used a buy one get one free code).
Old 06-17-05, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by joltman
Just want to make sure my fellow deal watchers here release that everyone's favorite sale, 20% off at DeepDiscountDVD.com Now it's time to get all those non-CH DVDs at the best price. Use the promotion code DVDTALK (although before, there were a handful of others as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are this time too) check the main page here at DVDTalk for a little more info

This is breaking news!!!! Thanks for starting a thread on it!!!!
Old 06-17-05, 11:57 PM

Someone mentioned ebay. Sometimes I buy a dvd or 2 from ebay, but mostly I get sick of wading through all of the asian dvds, so I just end up buying it somewhere else.
Old 06-18-05, 01:16 AM

I've been away from Columbia House for a long time. After an incredibly bad experience (and I used to tell everyone about CH) I switched over to DDD and opening day B&M. Since DDD was having their sale, I thought I would check in and see what was going on with CH before placing my DDD order.

Is Columbia House still a huge hassle? Shipping and charging DVDs not ordered, upping the number of fulfillment’s on accounts ("no that code has four fulfillment’s, not two"), takes forever just to give them your account number because the operator is not fluent in English...

The whole thing made me walk away from CH, because the customer service was so bad and time consuming. After all was said and done I ended up spending more than $7.00 per disc and with lots of aggravation thrown in.

Is it better now?
Old 06-18-05, 01:31 AM

yeah, its better than ever. Ive been getting all my dvds from them for under $5 and havent had any problems. The only problem likely to occur is not being able to get an account opened. Once you get that done with your set.
Old 06-18-05, 04:45 AM
Banned

Wow, I never realized there were CH snobs out there.
Old 06-18-05, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
Personally, I wouldn't buy any DVD from eBay... But that's just me.

I spent a grand total of $24.XX at DDD last night on 4 titles that CH doesn't carry. Granted, my wishlist is pretty small, but for titles that CH keeps in stock, DDD can't touch em.

Also not quite sure why we need a DDD thread in clubs... No offense intended joltman.

I'm with ya on the whole not buying DVD's on ebay thing, but I think that a DDD sale thread in Clubs *could* be useful, *if* we use it to recommend specific non-CH titles that would be a good deal to pickup. The thread in Bargains is filled with people's posts about things that can be had at CH for cheaper... so, that said, what'd u guys get that u couldn't get at CH (or at least couldn't get cheaper at CH)?

Old 06-18-05, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Avid
I've been away from Columbia House for a long time. After an incredibly bad experience (and I used to tell everyone about CH) I switched over to DDD and opening day B&M. Since DDD was having their sale, I thought I would check in and see what was going on with CH before placing my DDD order.

Is Columbia House still a huge hassle? Shipping and charging DVDs not ordered, upping the number of fulfillment’s on accounts ("no that code has four fulfillment’s, not two"), takes forever just to give them your account number because the operator is not fluent in English...

The whole thing made me walk away from CH, because the customer service was so bad and time consuming. After all was said and done I ended up spending more than $7.00 per disc and with lots of aggravation thrown in.

Is it better now?
Not for some of us, I am still fighting over an $11.88 charge of two dvds that I never received. I still check in on dvd club forum because I may run an account with CH through a relative since I am now black listed. CH sets the standard on "worst possible customer service", ofcourse sub $7 new releases are impossible to beat! I hate CH, I love CH, I hate CH, I love CH.......
Old 06-18-05, 11:25 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fryinpan1
I ordered some non-CH items from the DDD sale. My only regret is buying the Black Hawk Down Superbit. I wish I would have just got the three disc set as a CH fulfillment item (and used a buy one get one free code).
If you need to fulfill an account right now get the BHD 3-disc version as a fulfillment at CH since it is currently $23.97. If your order is over $50 you could use one of the free shipping codes in another thread. With BHD, owning both versions is not a bad idea since you'll have all the extras and the best audio/video presentation. At CH's current price and with free shipping the effective price would only be about $9-10.
Old 06-18-05, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ScottyWH
I'm with ya on the whole not buying DVD's on ebay thing, but I think that a DDD sale thread in Clubs *could* be useful, *if* we use it to recommend specific non-CH titles that would be a good deal to pickup. The thread in Bargains is filled with people's posts about things that can be had at CH for cheaper... so, that said, what'd u guys get that u couldn't get at CH (or at least couldn't get cheaper at CH)?

Check out this old thread, starting with post #63:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...=395738&page=3
Old 06-18-05, 06:09 PM

Well, what are the best codes to use right now? I do have a previous account number.

Also, I did some searching but couldn't find them, are the SEs of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Gone with the Wind available through CH? (Their website has changed, I couldn't find a search option on their site.)
Old 06-18-05, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Avid
Well, what are the best codes to use right now? I do have a previous account number.
Please check out the Better code thread

Also, I did some searching but couldn't find them, are the SEs of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Gone with the Wind available through CH? (Their website has changed, I couldn't find a search option on their site.)
3812906 Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind Collector's Edition 2004 $22.95
3371309 Gone With the Wind Collector's Edition 1939 $23.97

GWTW is not likely to ever be available for enrollment. "Eternal Sunshine" is not yet available for enrollment. It is not known why. (The regular edition is available, it is the CE that is not.)

For some reason the usual columbiahouse.com address for new enrollments is being redirected to the backup site, which does not have a search function. When this happens, go to the music club then use the DVD club link at the top of the page to get to the regular DVD club enrollment page.

Last edited by lizard; 06-18-05 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-19-05, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Richard Stern
I always consider my CH prices as an average over the membership, which usually works out to ~$7 per disc.
Richard
With the best enrollment code and fulfilling wth the 3/$22 sale, my last membership averaged $4.99 per disc - and I paid shipping on the fulfillments, with free shipping it would have been $3.99.

It was a little hard to find decent fulfillments on this sale with only 170 or so titles, but I picked up a few mainstream titles I had been waiting to get cheaply - Field of Dreams AE, Rain Man SE (unfortunately no slip covers on these), Platoon SE, The Pianist, House of Sand and Fog, and Kelly's Heroes.
Old 06-20-05, 10:19 AM

I fulfilled my HDL commitment and saved some money over the DDD sale to boot. Used one of the free shipping codes and got this:

Star Trek: First Contact Special Collector's Edition = $9.98
Star Trek: Insurrection Special Collector's Edition = $9.98
The Ultimate Matrix Collection = $39.98
Looney Tunes Golden Collection: Volume 2 = $32.48

Webdvd discount = -$5.00
Shipping = $0.00
Tax = $6.33

Total = $93.75

That's about $12.00 less than it would cost in the DDD sale. If I had not had to pay tax, it would have been even more... I'm pretty happy with the outcome...