Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

How long before you try and join again if you don't get in?

Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-05, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried to join CH on the 26th of March. It thanked me for the app,a nd thats all I heard. Usually I've gotten approved in 2 or 3 days tops.

How long should I wait before I try another app? I don't want to have 2 opena ccounts...
Old 04-05-05, 06:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will usually wait a week and if I don't hear anything then I just try again with the same order.
Old 04-05-05, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recieved an email saying they were processing the ap, but never a response after that. Has only been 10 days but still no accont # or anything..dont think it went through
Old 04-05-05, 08:20 PM

Its gone
Old 04-05-05, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Call them on the phone. A customer service rep told me that if you are to get approved that they will approve you immediately while you're on the phone. I don't know if this is 100% true, but every time that i have enrolled over the phone i've been accepted. I have only had 2 online apps. go through out of about 8.
Old 04-05-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since around November of last year I have only ever gotten 2 accounts approved online and both of those were the HDL like TV Club accounts. Since January I haven't been able to open an account online. The $1 temp charge stays for a while and then goes away. If they made the phone ordering quicker then I might consider calling more often, it's a hassle to be on the phone for ~10 minutes.
Old 04-06-05, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How do those phone applications work? Do you just tell an operator the titles you want or is it automated? Or is this in the faq? I'll check.
Old 04-06-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
How do those phone applications work? Do you just tell an operator the titles you want or is it automated? Or is this in the faq? I'll check.
Phone orders are with a live CSR. It helps to have a list of selection numbers ready to go but you can order by name (just be sure you get the season/version you want). Selection numbers are better for you and faster for the whole ordering process. Be prepared for a lot of questions, even things like a birth date are sometimes requested.

If you get asked for "the number above your name on the mailing" or some such thing, they are requesting a PSN. Give them your old account number or just say that you don't have it in front of you.

Be sure to have the correct offer code to give them; you don't want the standard deal! For the TV edition club it would be something like LE5D (HDL and HJ6 have been reported to not work on the phone). And have at least three set selection numbers from the web site ready (LE5D takes three for enrollment to get down to three fulfillments). Some spare selection numbers would be useful in case one of the others is not available. And have your credit card ready.

That's pretty much it. Phone numbers for membership applications:
Regular DVD Club: 888-242-3837
TV Edition Club: 800-861-9505
Old 04-06-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lizard, you are always such a fountain of knowledge. I want to throw coins in you. I would probably avoid the phone orders, I don't want to give these people my credit card unless I really have to. I'm definitely going to try another web enrollment in a few weeks (or sooner).

I got a fever, and the only prescription is more enrollment packages.
Old 04-06-05, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
I would probably avoid the phone orders, I don't want to give these people my credit card unless I really have to.
I don't think this is a valid concern. Despite the reported horror stories, the vast majority of us have found CH to be very reasonable in resolving any problems that may come up. I've had a number of accounts, and only once had to call to have a credit card charge ($15) adjusted. It was relatively painless.
Old 04-06-05, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, i did pay for the enrollment package online with the "use this credit card for this payment only" option. I just don't know about keeping it on record. I suppose its no worse than having it on file at amazon or ddd or something. You have made a valid case. Or i convinced myself its ok. I don't know. Thanks.
Old 04-07-05, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by viking99
I don't think this is a valid concern. Despite the reported horror stories, the vast majority of us have found CH to be very reasonable in resolving any problems that may come up. I've had a number of accounts, and only once had to call to have a credit card charge ($15) adjusted. It was relatively painless.
My experience exactly. Columbia House has been handling credit card numbers safely for decades. And getting billing errors corrected has been pretty painless. Once I even had a CSR correct my credit card account directly with the card company in real time while I was waiting.

As for the bit about Director's Selections, I never understood the problem. They don't often send them by mistake and it is just as easy to get a return credited back to a card as it is to have an amount due in your account reversed. I think that the notion that they won't send out Director's Selections without a card on file is a myth.
Old 04-11-05, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just for the heck of it, I applied for a second account online on Friday. I used one of the 6@49 cents enrollment codes again. When asked for my PSN this time I used my member number for the account I just opened the week before. I was accepted today! Wow. This is addictive. I wish I would have waited a few days to sign up though. I wanted to get that Raging Bull Special edition. I guess I'll get it for a fulfilllment.