Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

Problem cancelling membership thru website?

Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-04, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I try to cancel my membership using the website, I get a screen full of code. Anyone else having this problem? Anyone find a workaround (besides cancelling via phone)?
Old 12-12-04, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Never seen that before - on the cancel membership that is. If anything, the CM on the website has been TOO GOOD for my taste - lose access instantly(after logging out).
Old 12-12-04, 08:43 PM

I have been experiencing the same problem. I have tried cancelling my account about 4 times already and I don't think it has been cancelled since I can still access my account.
Old 12-12-04, 09:17 PM
Banned

I'm having the exact same problem no matter which cancel option I pick. Even the old URL for cancelling doesn't work. I wonder if it's on purpose.
Old 12-12-04, 11:23 PM

I had the same problem last week, but somehow I still got an email confirmation of my cancellation. The strange thing is I can still log into the website after all this time.
Old 12-13-04, 08:37 AM

I had the same problem, but I found a way around it. When I selected as my reason for canceling, as "completed my commitment" I got the code page and couldn't go any further. But when I chose "other" as my reason for canceling, I got the next page where they try to get you to stay. I clicked "cancel membership" on that page (this is the final step in the canceling process), and I still got the code page, but the membership was canceled, because I couldn't log on after waiting a while. So, chosing "other" seemed to do the trick.
Old 12-13-04, 08:21 PM

I just cancelled an account and there was no problem. Maybe it's fixed now.
Old 12-14-04, 04:18 AM

The joy game is keeping me from cancelling my regular account.
Old 12-15-04, 01:20 AM
Banned

Looks like it's back to normal, for as normal as the CH website gets anyway.
Old 01-27-05, 12:43 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm unable to cancel online today. Anyone else having that problem or know a way around it. I get past the reason screen and push the button to 'Cancel my membership'. Then it tells tells me they're sorry and to complete the request I must call 1-800-262-2001. Never had this problem before.
Old 01-27-05, 12:58 PM

I've called that number, and they assured me that my account was cancelled about a month ago. Today, I can still log in online and get into that account so I don't know what's going on. All I know is that this supposedly cancelled account could be interfering with my being able to join again. I have one open account existing but do not seem to be able to get a 2nd account opened for whatever reason.
Old 01-27-05, 01:29 PM

How do I cancel online again? I can't seem to find the link, and even though I forfilled my commitment, I'm STILL able to log onto my account.
Old 01-27-05, 01:32 PM
Banned

I've had lots of problems with their "new" cancellation page, with the extended options of why you're quitting, fill-in-the-form for your reasons, etc. Try the original cancel page:

For some reason I'm having problems posting the link, so just add this part after the .com

/cl1/ch/customer_service/msap_account_cancel.jsp

Last edited by Legolas; 01-27-05 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-27-05, 01:46 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks Legolas! That worked.

Edit: I tried to put the full URL in this post but apparently had the same problem as Legolas in that it tries to create a DVDTalk link to CH.
Old 01-27-05, 02:28 PM

Thanks from me too, Legolas. The cancellation went through (even though my account was supposedly cancelled by a phone rep). I even got a confirmation email.
Old 01-27-05, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by consoleman
I've called that number, and they assured me that my account was cancelled about a month ago. Today, I can still log in online and get into that account so I don't know what's going on. All I know is that this supposedly cancelled account could be interfering with my being able to join again. I have one open account existing but do not seem to be able to get a 2nd account opened for whatever reason.
This is what we here have always found. Cancel online & lose access to the account after logging out. Cancel via phone & access the account all you want from the web - as long as you like. But, it is suppose to be really cancelled - although some have come accross accounts later that were not cancelled properly by the phone CSR (hindered new account enrollment).
Old 01-28-05, 05:47 PM
Banned

Through the new cancellation page, I get this:

We're sorry.

To complete this request please call 1-800-262-2001 and one of our representatives will be happy to help.

But through the old page the cancellation still goes through okay. I wonder if this is just a way for them to pitch all that extra crap to get you not to quit.
Old 01-31-05, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've tried to cancel online, but it doesn't appear to be working. I still have full access to the website. Should I give them a call about canceling?
Old 01-31-05, 10:35 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did you read post #13 in this thread by Legolas? Those instructions worked for me last week.
Old 02-03-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks Legolas, post #13 worked for me! I have never had a problem cancelling an account online before today.
Old 02-11-05, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also had some problem cancelling my fulfilled membership account a few days ago. I came to this forum looking for some solution and found this thread. I use the link provided by another poster and was able to cancel my account and received an email confirmation of the cancellation very soon after that.

Thanks!
Old 02-17-05, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Legolas
Through the new cancellation page, I get this:

We're sorry.

To complete this request please call 1-800-262-2001 and one of our representatives will be happy to help.

But through the old page the cancellation still goes through okay. I wonder if this is just a way for them to pitch all that extra crap to get you not to quit.
I just got the exact same thing a couple minutes ago:

Membership Cancellation Confirmation

We're sorry.
Old 02-17-05, 09:18 PM

I went through and followed the directions on the website to cancel. I got an email telling me that it will be cancelled in 24 to 48 hours. I can still access the website through that account. How long should I wait to try and enroll again? I would like to get another account open soon before the codes stop working.
Old 02-18-05, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by abintra
Basically, it didn't "take" so you're going to have to attempt cancelling it again.
tried again and it didn't seem like it took again. I started to try the method above and the CH member area went down. Guess I will try again tomorrow.
Old 02-18-05, 12:48 PM

I have now cancelled 3 times online and can still access my account. I did it twice by following the link in help in my account and once by the method in post #13 above. Does this mean by phone is my only option? How do I verfy my account is cancelled if I do it by phone? Maybe I should just wait a couple days and see if it goes through?

edit: This is the email I have received all 3 times.
Dear duganrm,

Your request to cancel your Dvd Club Membership has been received. Your cancellation will be processed within the next 24 to 48 hours.

Please note that you will continue to be billed for any outstanding selections. Also, any mailings in process prior to the membership cancellation cannot be stopped. You do not need to respond to any subsequent member mailings you receive.

We're sorry you decided to cancel your membership. If you change your mind you can rejoin anytime by going to http://www.columbiahouse.com

Last edited by duganrm; 02-18-05 at 12:52 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.