Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

From the FAQ: Are these DVDs the same as the ones I buy in the store?

Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

From the FAQ: Are these DVDs the same as the ones I buy in the store?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-04, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just wanted to address the comments about Columbia House pressing their own CDs, and in previous years LPs and even good old 8 tracks!!! On all of these from CDs to LPs, there are some that state "manufactured by Columbia House" no where near the barcode. I have Cds that say this as well and as a music collector, you always look out for Columbia House editions of music, especially vinyl, as they are worth less money.
My point, I believe if they were producing their own they would have to state somewhere on the DVD that it was manufactured by CH. The studios, I would think, woudl want this statement on there in case there was a quality control issue. If it isn't, the quality would reflect badly on their studio unless otherwise stated. Hope my ramblings make some sort of sense.
Old 07-29-04, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by groundhog
...Hope my ramblings make some sort of sense.
Makes perfect sense to me. At the present time Columbia House does not make its own DVDs but buys them (at very cheap prices) from studio manufacturers. If they did make their own it seems likely that the DVDs would say so, as you say.
Old 07-29-04, 05:21 PM
dxx
Cool New Member

Originally posted by fataldog187
Doing a file comparison wouldn't prove anything, they are not going to re-author a DVD just to make another pressing. If you had a CAT A HK bootleg and an original R1 release, then you rip the vobs with the same program and the same settings (demacrovision, region free, etc) and do a file comparison, there won't be a difference (CAT A bootlegs are sourced from retail releases). The files will be exactly the same after you rip them since your ripping software will strip macrovision, region coding, puo's, etc the same way on both discs. If you can't even tell the difference between a bootleg and an original disc by ripping the vobs, then what good will it do you in this situation?
Yes, definitely. A file comparison would only show a difference if the vobs were reauthored/re-encoded/whatever'd from the original release. Now if the vobs are the same as a store bought copy, I couldn't care less if it came from a bootleg, as long as it has the nice packaging hehe.

Originally posted by pkarmouche
But I can tell you from ripping trailers off each DVD... Every movie studio masters their DVDs slightly differently. Some trailers are embedded within the same .vob file with menu items; other trailers are embedded withing the .vob file with the movie material and sometimes they are in their own .vob file with nothing else. If CH was manufacturing the DVDs then it would seem to reason that the technical encoding differences would not strictly differ by STUDIO.
Like I said above, this is what I was hoping to achieve by doing file comparisons, to see whether they were re-authored. As long as they're not re-authoring, then it doesn't matter even if CH do press their own DVDs.

Originally posted by groundhog
I just wanted to address the comments about Columbia House pressing their own CDs, and in previous years LPs and even good old 8 tracks!!! On all of these from CDs to LPs, there are some that state "manufactured by Columbia House" no where near the barcode. I have Cds that say this as well and as a music collector, you always look out for Columbia House editions of music, especially vinyl, as they are worth less money.
My point, I believe if they were producing their own they would have to state somewhere on the DVD that it was manufactured by CH. The studios, I would think, woudl want this statement on there in case there was a quality control issue. If it isn't, the quality would reflect badly on their studio unless otherwise stated. Hope my ramblings make some sort of sense.
Excellent point. I agree.

All right guys. Thanks for sticking with me through this thread. Your information has been invaluable. You got me convinced. CH DVDs are fine. Got my fullfilments today, and applied for my second membership

DXX
Old 07-29-04, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ Cool- now let us know if you get accepted and with what code.
Old 07-30-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've flipped over 60 accounts with CH. I've never received a DVD from them that I don't consider authentic. I do have grips about CH like approval time on new accounts and shipping issues; however, I accept those issues because the savings per selection is fantastic.

Originally posted by vivarey
That is the important thing. How can I get more accounts quickly?

Last edited by island007; 07-30-04 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-30-04, 04:48 PM
dxx
Cool New Member

67P and approved within 48 hours. Already bought the fulfilments and waiting to cancel.

Got a question about the webdvd $5 off discount. If I joined using the online application, would I still be able to use that deal to order the fulfilments (cause its only for the 1st purchase)? It seems the website accepted it, but sometimes they correct the errors in billing on their website when they're approving the order.

On another note, the "$10 off any dvd when you buy 1 at regular price" popped up when I logged in. That seems to be the deal they give immediately after you're approved. Got the same deal last time too. It appears to disappear a day or so after you're approved.

Last edited by dxx; 07-30-04 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-30-04, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dxx
Got a question about the webdvd $5 off discount. If I joined using the online application, would I still be able to use that deal to order the fulfilments (cause its only for the 1st purchase)?
Absolutely, 100%, Yes.
Old 07-30-04, 04:54 PM
dxx
Cool New Member

Absolutely, 100%, Yes.
Excellent.

$62.55 for 8 DVDs (incl. commitments) seems like a darn good deal. Considering all of them are 2 disc titles, with most of them having DTS soundtracks.