Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Refused rejected by CH! What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-03, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Refused rejected by CH! What to do?

After signing up many times, I was "blackballed" by CH; not sure why, and they only say "it's a business decision".

Anyone know how to get back into their ok list (other than using a different address or name)?

Thank you.

Jim
Old 10-05-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've heard that people are sometimes allowed back after 6 months. You could always try applying again now just to see what happens. If not, see you in April!
Old 10-05-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

yep takes about 6 months, how many acounts did you have at once, what did you do that you shouldn't have? I see you said not sure why, but all the reasons for getting blacklisted are posted in this forum somewhere.
Old 10-05-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wonder if you were really blackballed (blacklisted) or are you saying this just because you got the standard rejection letter, which usually says "business decision". I got one of these back in June, even though I followed all the rules, then I just re-aplied and have been fine, up until the Sept. fiasco started hitting a lot of us. I hope you reply back about your specifics, so we can tell better what's what.
Old 10-05-03, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Stick your head in the sand.
Old 10-05-03, 03:41 PM

"it's a business decision".
that makes me think maybe he really was blacklisted, but who knows. Story please post more/all the details if you don't mind.
Old 10-05-03, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bill, ????

KennyBoy, my reply in June also said "business decision", but as I stated I have followed the rules and the next acct, and many since have gone through fine. I only ever have 2 at once, I track them separately, one using my hotmail acct and 1 card, the other using yahoo and a different card, (so I can keep payments straight as to which acct).
Old 10-05-03, 04:40 PM

There was about a year since the reject and trying again.

I've been searching the cobwebs of my mind; here's everything I can recall:

* Maybe I opened/closed (closed mostly via the net) about 30 accts.

* Once, I never got an order, and they sent another one.

* Sometimes I ordered several enrollment selections of the same title to give as gifts.

That's all I can recall.

It was about one year until I tried to enroll again (about 3 mo.s ago), heard nothing, called and asked the csr, who asked a super, who said I would be getting a letter soon, did not tell me anymore. About 2 weeks later, received a letter that said something like "Sorry we can not enroll you in our DVD club", it gave no reasons.

So, that's where I stand. I will try with my wife's name (same address) and see if that works.

Thanks for your help.

Jim
Old 10-05-03, 05:31 PM

sounds to me like you did things you shouldn't have. Whether or not your ordering lots of titles for gifts, you order to many and your putting your status with CH at risk. Also you weren't very clear about the number of accounts you had open at once, but I'm under the impression it was more than two. Also, if you already knew you were blacklisted before why the surprise they rejected you this time??? Yes usually it isn't for so long, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
Old 10-05-03, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by story

So, that's where I stand. I will try with my wife's name (same address) and see if that works.
A word of advice, if your wife is going to sign up, make sure she uses a different mailing address (work?) and CC.
Old 10-05-03, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Qui..was not directed towards you. Was TRYING to make a joke that since he was rejected from CH, to stick his head in the sand. Forget it!
Old 10-05-03, 10:16 PM

I got the joke.
Old 10-05-03, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At least someone did!
Old 10-06-03, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry, guess I'm slow on the uptake!

Hey, do they really tell you or send you a letter and say you are blacklisted, or do you just get acct rejection letter, and keep getting them if you keep retrying?
Old 10-06-03, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Qui-Gon John
...Hey, do they really tell you or send you a letter and say you are blacklisted, or do you just get acct rejection letter, and keep getting them if you keep retrying?
The "business decision" letter is what we refer to as being blacklisted. It means that CH doesn't want one's business, usually because they suspect one of selling DVDs and they don't like that. Other types of rejection letters, like the one that asks "why do you want another account?" have nothing to do with the blacklist, just the general policy of limiting accounts to two.

That said, the large number of us who are unable to get new accounts may be a sign of a new policy concerning those who open and close numerous accounts. We will have to wait and see.

And, no, I have never received a "business decision" letter.
Old 10-06-03, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That would suck if they change their policy and prevent us from opening and closing numerous accts. That said, I wonder just how many of their total customers actually do that. I mean are we 1% of their total business. Just wondering.......
Old 10-06-03, 11:00 PM

i doubt they will do that for the reason stated in other threads that though we open and close accounts quickly they do get our money and a lot of it fast. Though they may make more per dvd of some people, there are also those that will take a year or more or several months to fullfill an account. In that time we will have open/closed many accounts and though thier profit per title is much less with us it will overall be much more due to our volume.

at least in theory.
Old 10-06-03, 11:11 PM

Same letter, different approach.

I also received this same letter, denied account due to "business decision", about three weeks after a phoned in attempt to start my 24th account. I knew something was up because I usually see a charge on my CC account in about a week. Immediately after receiving the letter I jumped online and used the 23E code and I just received the 6 enrollment titles today. I'm about to cancel an account and begin another with a mailing offer (FP9D, [email protected] w/2 to purchase and Personal Status Number required) received two weeks ago. We'll see whats up!
Old 10-07-03, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by cajun_junky
That would suck if they change their policy and prevent us from opening and closing numerous accts. That said, I wonder just how many of their total customers actually do that. I mean are we 1% of their total business. Just wondering.......
I don't think it this can be what the problem is. I have only been doing this for a couple of months. I am trying to open my 5th account in my name, 9th overall for my address. I have not had 25 or more accounts like many here. Plus, we pay fast and buy quick, which I am sure CH likes....
Old 10-07-03, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Man, I don't know about you folks, but I'm getting a little bit -

a) frustrated - trying multple times & not getting anywhere
b) gun shy - trying & being rejected/ignored (possible 6 times in recent month+ on 2 fronts)
c) feeling unwanted - not being able to start any account recently
d) all of the above
Old 10-07-03, 09:55 PM

I'm a little worried about getting blacklisted as it looks like a fourth account went through for me.
Old 10-07-03, 10:24 PM
Banned

On more than one occasion, I've had orders that just "never went through." No letters to tell me I've been declined, just nothing happened -- no credit card charge, no nothing. This happened a few times with web orders, and twice with phone orders. Is this common?
Old 10-08-03, 12:55 AM

yes it is
Old 10-08-03, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Especially since mid-September!
Old 10-08-03, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
KennyBoy,

Well, you're a lucky one. I hate you.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.