Old 01-08-13, 03:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Films of Budd Boetticher $10.50 Amazon

Originally Posted by Mosskeeto
Here's just one thread from SD.
Some of the reasons listed by people in that thread are:
Student accounts that were not opened by students
Too many returns (which can be a small amount in the eyes of the beholder)
Drop shipping
Asking for too many price adjustments (back when they allowed them)
Using coupons on too many purchases
Leaving bad reviews
Too many returns of defective merchandise
Using too many gift cards

The bitch is that you're denied access to the Kindle digital content you've purchased. There are many other stories I read, including one person who had substantial credit ($) in his account that he lost.
Oh well, All I can say is that over the MANY, MANY years I've dealt with them, including defects and returns, I NEVER had a problem with their superior customer service. Just the truth in my case!
Old 01-09-13, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never had a problem with Amazon's customer service and I question whenever someone who has no posting history shows up with a rant against a retailer with an excellent reputation (as in the Slickdeals thread).

I'm sure that a company the size of Amazon has to deal with all sorts of scam artists and others who try to take advantage of them. The actual facts behind these bannings may be quite different than the self serving versions those who were banned expound.
Old 01-09-13, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Silverscreenvid
I've never had a problem with Amazon's customer service and I question whenever someone who has no posting history shows up with a rant against a retailer with an excellent reputation (as in the Slickdeals thread).

I'm sure that a company the size of Amazon has to deal with all sorts of scam artists and others who try to take advantage of them. The actual facts behind these bannings may be quite different than the self serving versions those who were banned expound.
I'm not the biggest fan of Amazon anymore, but I agree with this. All the banning stories sound a bit like urban legends when examined closely.
Old 01-11-13, 03:51 PM
Banned

Got mine today. Brand new as described. No problems at all! Great Deal! Thanks again OP!
Old 03-10-13, 04:42 PM
Banned

Just wondering for those that got their sets in this deal...Every picture shows the case to be in blue-green color but mine is brown and the films are definately produced on dvd5's! Were yours that way or did i some how get a bootleg of this set??? anyone elses have a brown outer cover and are yours on DVD5's??? Just happened to notice this after a few months-
thanks-
Old 03-11-13, 06:22 AM
Banned

Anyone have this set from this deal and can confirm my inquiry??? Thanks-
Old 03-11-13, 06:53 AM
Defunct Account

On my copy the slipcase is brown and the fold-out disc holder is blue-green. I wouldn't worry too much about getting bootlegged copy. I can't really see someone going to the trouble of replicating the custom case, especially when they're selling it for $10.50.
Old 03-11-13, 09:45 AM

I think that initial pressings of this set had a turquoise box, and the later pressings had the sepia-toned slipcover. I bought this within a year or so of its release, and mine comes in a turquoise box.

As for the discs themselves, they are on DVD-5s. Not so surprising, given that none of the movies clock in beyond 90 minutes (IIRC), and the extras are pretty scant.
Old 03-11-13, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Many Columbia box sets, e.g. the Film Noir sets, are DVD-5s. Unlike Fox, Sony is not so into huge bit rates, unfortunately.

As for the packaging, I've seen this set split up at a local library and there is original poster artwork reproduced for the titles. Did the library do that themselves or has the interior of this set changed from when it was first released. Anyone know?
Old 03-12-13, 06:18 AM
Banned

Thanks for all the info everyone- Much appreciated-
Old 03-12-13, 10:34 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

The longest movie in the set is only 78 minutes long (with the only non-commentary extras on 4 of the 5 DVD's being 5-10 minute interviews/appreciations from various directors and a trailer), so the fact that they're only DVD-5's isn't a huge concern.

The Tall T DVD is a DVD-9 to make room for an 84 minute documentary.
Old 03-13-13, 06:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sb5
The longest movie in the set is only 78 minutes long (with the only non-commentary extras on 4 of the 5 DVD's being 5-10 minute interviews/appreciations from various directors and a trailer), so the fact that they're only DVD-5's isn't a huge concern.

The Tall T DVD is a DVD-9 to make room for an 84 minute documentary.
My "Tall T" is definately on a DVD 5 just to let you know, but again thanks for all the info Y'all-
Old 03-13-13, 08:26 AM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's weird, I just checked my copy to make sure, and it's dual-layered (5.92 GB, not really taking advantage of the size available, but it is double what the single layered DVD's in the set have).
Old 03-14-13, 04:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sb5
That's weird, I just checked my copy to make sure, and it's dual-layered (5.92 GB, not really taking advantage of the size available, but it is double what the single layered DVD's in the set have).
OH...My DVD list the same GB so I assumed it was a DVD 5! How are you able to get that info from the DVD on your computer??? Because mine as well listed 5.92 GB I just thought it was a DVD 5- Silly me and my bad. just wondering for sure how you can tell that for my reference in the future? Thanks for your info and help-
Old 03-14-13, 07:29 PM

I'm not the poster you asked, but I use a free program called VSO Inspector.

You can get it at http://www.vso-software.fr/products/.../inspector.php

It's a Windows program. Don't know of a similar Mac program.
Old 03-14-13, 10:16 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by smurr05
OH...My DVD list the same GB so I assumed it was a DVD 5! How are you able to get that info from the DVD on your computer??? Because mine as well listed 5.92 GB I just thought it was a DVD 5- Silly me and my bad. just wondering for sure how you can tell that for my reference in the future? Thanks for your info and help-
I just looked at the DVD size on my computer: DVD-5's have a capacity of 4.7 GB, so it had to be dual layered. Plus the DVD Beaver review mentioned it being dual layered in its review.