Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Three Stooges Ultimate Collection pre-order 44.99 on bestbuy.com

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-12, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Re: Three Stooges Ultimate Collection pre-order 44.99 on bestbuy.com

The bonus discs are in a black case and are stacked on top of each other on a longer spindle like center. I'm a bit disappointed in their choice of cases for these discs.
Old 06-05-12, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phibes
In my set, everything is individually shrinkwrapped, even the bonus disc. Its the same sets that have been coming out over the years. That makes me wonder if the bonus disc coming out on its own rumors someday are true.
I hope mine are sealed too. I'm selling Vol.1-8 and keeping my old ones if they are. Should be able to recoup most of the costs for the 8 volumes. I paid more than $45 for mine though. I already had it ordered from Columbia House.
Old 06-05-12, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phibes
One thing I did notice is that the sticker on the front makes it look like the set has a MSRP of $69.99. My assumption is that they put the MSRP on those stickers or something close to it. Of course, online doesn't have a MSRP listed.
Most everyone else has a 95.99 MSRP.... WalMart has it at a 159 MSRP.
Old 06-05-12, 02:24 PM

I'd imagine that all the sets are the same. Hopefully you can get them listed before prices start to crater from all the folks planning on doing the same.

I never bought any of the Stooges sets so I'm happy with the set, not that the temptation for a turnaround wasn't tempting.

Originally Posted by bigjim25
I hope mine are sealed too. I'm selling Vol.1-8 and keeping my old ones if they are. Should be able to recoup most of the costs for the 8 volumes. I paid more than $45 for mine though. I already had it ordered from Columbia House.
Old 06-05-12, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
The bonus discs are in a black case and are stacked on top of each other on a longer spindle like center. I'm a bit disappointed in their choice of cases for these discs.
I'm disappointed as well. I'm still waiting for mine to come, but hope they aren't scratched. Why use different packaging styles on the same set? That kind of packaging is second rate at best, not something I'd expect in a set MSRP'ed at almost 100 dollars. I'll have to use alternative cases, again, but then things probably won't fit into the outer box anymore.

I'm not picky, but there are a few things that are huge annoyances for me -

1) double sided discs
2) paper/cardboard sleeve packaging
3) stacked discs
Old 06-05-12, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I will look for a standard dvd case with 3 disc spaces to replace the crappy case the set came with. However, this isn't something the consumer should have to do for an "Ultimate" set. They could have easily squeezed the three discs into two slim cases and an outer cover like the other 8 volumes.
Old 06-05-12, 02:54 PM

I will look for a standard dvd case with 3 disc spaces to replace the crappy case the set came with. However, this isn't something the consumer should have to do for an "Ultimate" set. They could have easily squeezed the three discs into two slim cases and an outer cover like the other 8 volumes.
You should run their home video division based on that post alone.

Does anyone have photos of the bonus case and the inside of it?
Old 06-05-12, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here is the cover with the case opened up:
Spoiler:

Here is the stack of discs and the solo spindle:
Spoiler:

Sorry for the crappy resolution on the first but I can never seem to get the right lighting inside the house.
Old 06-05-12, 04:22 PM

Thanks for the pics! That's pretty weak that they don't even give short summaries of the bonus disc films (as they did for the 190 shorts).
Old 06-05-12, 05:01 PM

HI.
Any of you that already got the full set, could check if every disc has Closed Captions (even the bonus discs)?

Also, Best Buy states that the collection is subtitled. Is that right? Which language is the subtitle?

Spoken lenguage is only English, right?
Thank you.
Old 06-05-12, 05:53 PM
Banned

Yeah my set is the same way and it pisses me off like Y'all. I've already been looking online for a single size 3 disc amaray case which MAMY sights offer BUT you gotta buy a minimum of 100!!! Does anyone know where you can purchase these cases on an individual basis??? Someone must sell them individually NO??? Any info would be appreciated. Please email me if you could with any info on where to get a single case-
thanks for the help-
still worth the $45.00 for this set IMO!!!
Old 06-05-12, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This set is well worth the 45 bucks and in no way am I disappointed in what I got. I am just disappointed that some companies are still so short sighted that they can't do an Ultimate Edition right.
Old 06-05-12, 06:59 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

They restored the free shipping today so I went for it earlier.
Old 06-05-12, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As I stated before, you can't go wrong for this set and at that price as a few stores have already sold out of them in my area as of this writing. I just hate to double-dip on this series just to9 get the Rare Treasures set. Hoping they release that individually soon.
Old 06-05-12, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My BB set arrived yesterday. I traded in the unopened individual sets from the box on Amazon as new and just kept the old ones I had opened. I basically came out even and got the bonus discs and the big box. The individual sets in the big box have the same UPC markings as the previously issued ones. They did not appear to differ in any way. Maybe I could have done a little better selling them on Ebay but I didn't care to invest anymore time into it. Thanks to the OP for pointing out the bargain.
Old 06-06-12, 06:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by smurr05
Yeah my set is the same way and it pisses me off like Y'all. I've already been looking online for a single size 3 disc amaray case which MAMY sights offer BUT you gotta buy a minimum of 100!!! Does anyone know where you can purchase these cases on an individual basis??? Someone must sell them individually NO??? Any info would be appreciated. Please email me if you could with any info on where to get a single case-
thanks for the help-
still worth the $45.00 for this set IMO!!!
Anyone point me as to where I can get a single size 3 disc holding amaray case? Anyone know where? Any help would be greatly appreciated-
Old 06-06-12, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by smurr05
Anyone point me as to where I can get a single size 3 disc holding amaray case? Anyone know where? Any help would be greatly appreciated-
Would two extra trays even fit in that size case? Many Big Lots still have copies of the 3 Disk Peter Jackson King Kong for $3. The disks would fit into it, but the case used is fatter than the standard size DVD case. Some Big Lots may also have the four disk cartoon Silver Hawks for $3 and it has trays, and the case the Big Lots forum claims is standard size. Personally, I would have preferred if Sony had packaged the bonus disks better. I also would have preferred if they had put remastered copies of the other Columbia theatrical films in the set as well. However, considering what they made available for $45, I can't complain.
Old 06-06-12, 03:04 PM

I placed an online order for store pickup but when I got there they required the actual credit card for me to pickup. Of course this wasn't mentioned in the voice mail and who reads routine email with the subject "Your order is ready for pickup"? I understand the security reasons for this policy but I had a driver's license, other ID, phone number and email that all matched. The employee wouldn't get a manager or arrange for alternate payment so they just lost me as a customer.
Old 06-06-12, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

You don't carry your credit card with you along with your driver's license, other ID, etc.?
Old 06-06-12, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lang Thompson
I placed an online order for store pickup but when I got there they required the actual credit card for me to pickup.
Isn't that pretty much standard procedure everywhere?
Old 06-06-12, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=Lang Thompson;11261766]I placed an online order for store pickup but when I got there they required the actual credit card for me to pickup. QUOTE]

Yeah, I would think that would be standard procedure - particularly if the payment was made with that card. I don't see why they couldn't have worked something else out, though.
I had misplaced my order number and didn't have it when I picked mine up; however, they were very accomodating and took my Driver's license and credit card as enough. It seems that customer service depends on the random person you run into anymore - there is no standard.
Old 06-06-12, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mantas
HI.
Any of you that already got the full set, could check if every disc has Closed Captions (even the bonus discs)?

Also, Best Buy states that the collection is subtitled. Is that right? Which language is the subtitle?

Spoken lenguage is only English, right?
Thank you.
English only, yes.The discs are closed captioned (including the bonus discs) and there are English subtitles (they are yellow, of which I am not a fan)
Old 06-06-12, 04:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JoeDoakes
Would two extra trays even fit in that size case? Many Big Lots still have copies of the 3 Disk Peter Jackson King Kong for $3. The disks would fit into it, but the case used is fatter than the standard size DVD case. Some Big Lots may also have the four disk cartoon Silver Hawks for $3 and it has trays, and the case the Big Lots forum claims is standard size. Personally, I would have preferred if Sony had packaged the bonus disks better. I also would have preferred if they had put remastered copies of the other Columbia theatrical films in the set as well. However, considering what they made available for $45, I can't complain.
yes I have seen normal sized and have normal sized cases that have up to 6 dvd's in them but all I could find online were minimum orders of 100 or more and hell I only need is 1!
Old 06-06-12, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now I'm reading on Amazon.com that a couple of people phoned Sony HE and they stated the Rare Treasures will NOT be released as a separate entity. It might also be a canned response from Sony's CSRs, so if anyone has any official info on this particular DVD and whether it'll be released or not, please let me know. Tried contacting them myself recently and got no answer.
Old 06-06-12, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by rmw650
Now I'm reading on Amazon.com that a couple of people phoned Sony HE and they stated the Rare Treasures will NOT be released as a separate entity. It might also be a canned response from Sony's CSRs, so if anyone has any official info on this particular DVD and whether it'll be released or not, please let me know. Tried contacting them myself recently and got no answer.
I reported the same find a few days ago. Let us know what Sony tells you.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.