DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Three Stooges Ultimate Collection pre-order 44.99 on bestbuy.com

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-12, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Three Stooges Ultimate Collection pre-order 44.99 on bestbuy.com

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
I reported the same find a few days ago. Let us know what Sony tells you.
Just called Sony HE and they told me they would need to do some research on this matter and by the week's end, I should know officially whether or not this Rare Treasures DVD set will be made available separately. Will keep everyone posted when I find out something.
Old 06-06-12, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rmw650
Just called Sony HE and they told me they would need to do some research on this matter and by the week's end, I should know officially whether or not this Rare Treasures DVD set will be made available separately. Will keep everyone posted when I find out something.
UPDATE: As i promised everyone, I figured this was going to happen as i just got the official word from Brian at Sony HE and it states as follows verbatim:

Dear Richard,

Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate your interest in Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) products.

The Three Stooges Rare Treasures DVD set, unfortunately will not be released seperately by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. You may find the Three Stooges Rare Treasures DVD set sold seperately on www.amazon.com, www.ebay.com, or other similar shopping sites.

Thank you for your continued patronage and for taking the time to contact us.

Regards,

Brian Griffin
SPHE Consumer Affairs

There you have it guys and gals. It's official. Damn I hate double-dipping.
Old 06-06-12, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't surprise me given the relatively limited appeal of the bonus set, but still you would think they could at least do burned MODs on those discs and offer them at a reduced rate. It's once again a slap in the face to people who bought the individual sets. The more examples I see of this, and there are sadly many, the more value I place on patience.
Old 06-06-12, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lang Thompson
I placed an online order for store pickup but when I got there they required the actual credit card for me to pickup. Of course this wasn't mentioned in the voice mail and who reads routine email with the subject "Your order is ready for pickup"? I understand the security reasons for this policy but I had a driver's license, other ID, phone number and email that all matched. The employee wouldn't get a manager or arrange for alternate payment so they just lost me as a customer.
Would you rather they had lost you as a customer because someone had your credit card number and just let them walk off with the product even though they couldn't produce the card?
Old 06-06-12, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
It doesn't surprise me given the relatively limited appeal of the bonus set, but still you would think they could at least do burned MODs on those discs and offer them at a reduced rate. It's once again a slap in the face to people who bought the individual sets. The more examples I see of this, and there are sadly many, the more value I place on patience.
And sometimes you wait and the stuff goes OOP. Sometimes there's no easy answer.

It doesn't bother me as much as others, but I wonder what the bigger slap is, the exclusive bonus discs or getting all 8 + bonus for $45 (when people paid $160 for 8 originally).
Old 06-06-12, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by rdf8585
And sometimes you wait and the stuff goes OOP. Sometimes there's no easy answer.

It doesn't bother me as much as others, but I wonder what the bigger slap is, the exclusive bonus discs or getting all 8 + bonus for $45 (when people paid $160 for 8 originally).
I've long given up worrying about this. You're just not going to win this battle all of the time. I needed two more of the sets and definitely wanted Have Rocket Will Travel. I didn't hesitate in ordering (and it arrived today). I looked at it as a wash. I would have been sorry to miss out on that movie and was surprised when it didn't get released with the other ones.
Old 06-07-12, 09:35 AM

My set has been taking its sweet time in the mail. Supposedly it should be delivered today. I'm fairly happy about this $45 deal because I sold off all my separate Stooge sets for about $100 net which is a tiny bit more than I paid for them since I got most of them for $10-$11. I just hope it arrives in good condition. I'm happy they decided to include the existing sets in slim cases, but I'm not happy that the 3 bonus discs are stacked. I'll have to try to find a 3-disc DVD case that is a normal 1-DVD case in width. From the picture posted earlier in this thread, I assume I can just move the cover art paper into the new case.
Old 06-07-12, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I'm *so* wanting to pull the trigger on this one. I have all 8 sets but my grandkids *love* the Stooges and would happily take the duplicates off my hands! I fully expect to waffle on it until it's no longer available...
Old 06-07-12, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I'm *so* wanting to pull the trigger on this one. I have all 8 sets but my grandkids *love* the Stooges and would happily take the duplicates off my hands! I fully expect to waffle on it until it's no longer available...

ahhh the dilemma of so many on DVD Talk....

Though lately I have seen more and more "complete series" go OOP really fast... but most of these are not Sony products, who tend to reprint stuff until they milk the market dry.
Old 06-08-12, 09:01 AM

Got my set in the mail today. I haven't opened it yet, but it's in good shape and I'm happy about the price. I think for those who didn't sell their Stooges sets a few months ago like I did, it might be too late to get near $100 now as many people probably know about the $45 BB deal or the $62 Buy.com deals. However, if you even got $50 net on eBay you'd pay for the new set.

And BB forced me (yep, I had no control over it) to spend another $50 with them today with the Logitech Harmony One (new) deal. I hate to say it (OK, no I don't) but BB is having far better deals more often than Amazon and getting most of my money.
Old 06-08-12, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Lang Thompson
I placed an online order for store pickup but when I got there they required the actual credit card for me to pickup. Of course this wasn't mentioned in the voice mail and who reads routine email with the subject "Your order is ready for pickup"? I understand the security reasons for this policy but I had a driver's license, other ID, phone number and email that all matched. The employee wouldn't get a manager or arrange for alternate payment so they just lost me as a customer.
I believe they need at least the last four digits of the credit card number are needed in order to process the order. They punch the numbers into their cash register to complete the order. I don't think they can over ride that as technically its a bestbuy.com order which is different from an in store order. That said I don't see why you couldn't cancel the in store pick up order and just buy the set at the regular checkout unless the price has gone up.
Old 06-08-12, 12:31 PM

It's funny that Amazon still has the Three Stooges UC at $90.95, while Buy.com still has it for $61.99 delivered and now Family Video has it for $53.99 + $1.99 shipping:

http://www.familyvideo.com/catalog/p...ucts_id=396891

Of course the BB deal is the best if it's still active.
Old 06-08-12, 01:30 PM

It seems that Best Buy thinks the MSRP of the set is $69.99, as that's what the price tag on the sets is in the store. Makes the sale price seem less out of line.
Old 06-08-12, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic Films
I believe they need at least the last four digits of the credit card number are needed in order to process the order. They punch the numbers into their cash register to complete the order. I don't think they can over ride that as technically its a bestbuy.com order which is different from an in store order. That said I don't see why you couldn't cancel the in store pick up order and just buy the set at the regular checkout unless the price has gone up.
They verify the card *plus* they will not allow use of Virtual CC for store pickup.

The online help/FAQ which states:
Virtual and one-time-use credit cards cannot be used for Store Pickup.
That tells me the card must be plastic and they''ll not take a printout of the image of the VCC. While I much prefer use of VCC I'll grudgingly use the "real" card if I'm doing a store pickup.

It's still on sale online and available for pick up at my local store... Gotta decide on this...
Old 06-08-12, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pizza, I loved HAVE ROCKET when I was a kid, but seeing it again on a TCM airing a couple years ago I found it to be pretty much unwatchable. I like some of their other later films okay, but this one did not hold up for me at all. Very disappointing. Oh well, certainly not the first memory from my childhood that turned out to be better staying just a memory.
Old 06-08-12, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Manzana
It's funny that Amazon still has the Three Stooges UC at $90.95, while Buy.com still has it for $61.99 delivered and now Family Video has it for $53.99 + $1.99 shipping:

http://www.familyvideo.com/catalog/p...ucts_id=396891

Of course the BB deal is the best if it's still active.
Amazon has matched BB's $44.99 price.

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Stooges-Ultimate-Collection/dp/B006WN5W5M/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1339198061&sr=1-1&keywords=three+stooges
Old 06-08-12, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm thinking Amazon did this because Best Buy's sale is going on until tomorrow night and nobody was going to be dumb enough to pay almost 91 bucks for this set through them, but watch the price skyrocket back up at Amazon over the weekend...so at least until tomorrow night, both Best Buy and Amazon have solid deals on this set.
Old 06-08-12, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by smurr05
Anyone point me as to where I can get a single size 3 disc holding amaray case? Anyone know where? Any help would be greatly appreciated-
http://stores.casetopia.com/-strse-D...Categories.bok

They sell some of those in quantities of 1.
Old 06-09-12, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something changed along the way for Sony to cheap out on the rarities case. If you look at the promotional pic when the set was first announced, it was clearly housed in a cardboard box like the other sets in the series (look at the design on the top of the box in the pic). Either way, we should be glad enough that we got this since I'm sure anything from here on out will be MOD.
Old 06-09-12, 08:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mitch079

Many thanks-
Does anyone know the size in mm of a standard single sized dvd case? Is it 14mm? 22mm? again thanks for any info-
Old 06-09-12, 08:18 AM

14mm.
Old 06-09-12, 08:20 AM

Amazon sure was as slow as heck about matching BB's price. Otherwise I would've ordered from Amazon from the start... solely because I have a bunch of credit there I'm trying to use up. I doubt it's worth all the trouble to order from Amazon now and return the one I just got to BB. I always worry about returning too much to BB (as they say there's a certain return limit (and nobody who works there knows how much the limit is) at which point you can get a 90 day ban) even though I've never had any problems.
Old 06-09-12, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When I cancelled my Amazon order, I told them Best Buy had it for 44.99. I was going to use my cc rewards at Amazon but I still have those to use now.
Old 06-09-12, 02:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dlbsyst
14mm.
Thanks alot-
Old 06-09-12, 02:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mitch079

Just tried to order one and they said I had to order a minimum of $5.00...and shipping would be over $.4.00 bringing the minimum I would have to spend would be over $9.00 just to get 1 case that I need! Fu@*ing ridiculous IMO!!!...but thanks anyway-

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.