Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-14, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

I went to the big lots in Boyertown,Pa and saw the display. I purchased Gossip Girl S1,S2,S3,and S4 but was told by the staff that the OC was not part of the shipment.

If anyone looks at the front of the cardboard display it reads in very big letters 2 for $14.
Old 06-02-14, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by smartalec44
...If anyone looks at the front of the cardboard display it reads in very big letters 2 for $14.
Why of *course* there's a sign plainly stating this!

You expect us to actually *read* the signage when we're excited something showed up for once!!
Old 06-02-14, 05:45 PM

Re: Changes at Big Lots

Big Lots has reduced their DVD business 20% per year for the last 2 years. They do not plan on exiting the DVD business, reduction in inventory is based on a new electronics department layout. Once the new layout and new store appearance is complete, you can expect DVD to resume it's normal footprint. Buy on!
Old 06-02-14, 05:47 PM

The Big Lots TV promotion is based off an opportunity buy of 1 million units of Warner Bros. TV product. This is only the first shipment, with replen shipments in July and October and another display roll out in September. Same titles but much more to come. Feel free to ask any more questions and I can answer.
Old 06-02-14, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info. So only TV series and no movies? What about box sets? Any idea if ER will be among the ones coming?
Old 06-02-14, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sway229
The Big Lots TV promotion is based off an opportunity buy of 1 million units of Warner Bros. TV product. This is only the first shipment, with replen shipments in July and October and another display roll out in September. Same titles but much more to come. Feel free to ask any more questions and I can answer.
Will there be additional shows in addition to the ones already mentioned and advertised on this forum? If so, will those become part of the next several shipments?
Old 06-02-14, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Anything older (50's or 60's)?
Old 06-02-14, 09:40 PM

No TV box sets yet at the Sicklerville, NJ store. Most of the below titles have been seen before in years past in one form or another, some haven't:

$3 DVDs
Rebel Without a Cause (special edition)
The Orphanage
Legend of the Guardians
The Time Traveler's Wife
Arthur/Arthur 2
Rush Hour/Rush Hour 2
Sudden Death/The Quest
The Boxer/Ned Kelly
The Black Dahlia/Raising Cain
Demolition Man/Over the Top
Firefox
Sudden Impact
Space Cowboys
Kelley's Heroes
Chernobyl Diaries
Day of the Falcon
The Pelican Brief
Wyatt Earp
Panic Room
The Tall Man
Cop and a Half
Catwoman

$3 Blus
Space Warriors
Our Wild Hearts

$5 DVDs:
The Cat in the Hat (original, deluxe ed.)
Independence Day ("limited" edition)
Snow White: A Tale of Terror
Old 06-02-14, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

I cry a river looking at the f'ing number of Bruno BD's that the store near me is littered with. That said, picked up 'Red Dog' (DVD) for $3 - am a sucker for dog movies and this one has great reviews
Old 06-02-14, 11:39 PM

Well, went to the third and last store here in town and they had the display. Was very pleased to finish off my Two and a Half Men collection(I only want the Charlie Sheen seasons) by picking up season 5 and 8. I think they rang up at $7 each but didn't check the receipt as I was happy to pay $8 and didn't want to get greedy by being disappointed about not getting that last dollar off.

While I was there I picked up a Father's Day card and was shocked when it rang up. $5 for that sucker and it didn't play music and wasn't oversized. I've been buying most of my cards at the .99 cent store but they didn't have any good FD cards so I decided to go the next step up and check Big Lots. I guess maybe they don't discount certain holiday cards or something.
Old 06-03-14, 06:23 AM

The nice lady at the Menominee Falls store said that the TV sets are in the Sunday ad (June 8). She said she had not seen them come in yet, but expected them to be the truck today (Tuesday).

I'm hoping I have a chance to stop there tomorrow, so I can pick up Chuck Seasons 1,4 and 5. I won Seasons 2 and 3 on DVD a few years back, and have been meaning to pick up at least Season 1 so I can get started.

I signed up for Big Rewards last Saturday. Any idea if I will be getting a coupon?
Old 06-03-14, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My question is how can you determine when certain stores receive these promotions? How do they prioritize? Is it based on sales? Geographic location? I called a few stores this week and got different stories. One got the shipment of DVD sets but didn't remember seeing Chuck. So either someone grabbed them prior to display, they went quickly or they never received them. What is the rhyme and reason to sending certain titles to some stores but not to others? Whatever you can tell me would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-03-14, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by deet

$3 DVDs
Rebel Without a Cause (special edition)
The Orphanage
Legend of the Guardians
The Time Traveler's Wife
Arthur/Arthur 2
Rush Hour/Rush Hour 2
Sudden Death/The Quest
The Boxer/Ned Kelly
The Black Dahlia/Raising Cain
Demolition Man/Over the Top
Firefox
Sudden Impact
Space Cowboys
Kelley's Heroes
Chernobyl Diaries
Day of the Falcon
The Pelican Brief
Wyatt Earp
Panic Room
The Tall Man
Cop and a Half
Catwoman
Most of these have shown up in Puyallup WA
Old 06-03-14, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
I cry a river looking at the f'ing number of Bruno BD's that the store near me is littered with. That said, picked up 'Red Dog' (DVD) for $3 - am a sucker for dog movies and this one has great reviews

I purchased 'Red Dog' for $1.00 at the Pottstown,Pa. Dollar Tree yesterday. I don't know if it is the same movie starring Josh Lucas,Rachel Taylor, and Koko the dog.
Old 06-03-14, 12:01 PM

No sign of the new tv sets, but did see the dvd clearance sign at this store.

Sign was 30 to 90% off based on price sticker color, but it was kind of hard to tell for some due to the various shades of color.

Just grabbed a bunch and took them to the cashier for a price check. I was the only one at the register so the cashier separated them by price.

Saw the following:

The Flamingo Kid $3 - 70% off = 90 cents.

Blue State $3 - 70% off = 90 cents.

The Teahouse of the August Moon $3 - 70% = 90 cents (note this is in a slim case broken out of a box set.)

Horror Double Feature (Village of the Damned/Children of the Damned) $5 - 70% off = $1.50

The Franchise Collection: The Marlon Brando 4 Movie Collection: The Night of the Following Day/The Ugly American/A Countess From Hong Kong/The Appaloosa - $7 (regular price)
Old 06-03-14, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by boc4ever
My question is how can you determine when certain stores receive these promotions? How do they prioritize? Is it based on sales? Geographic location? I called a few stores this week and got different stories. One got the shipment of DVD sets but didn't remember seeing Chuck. So either someone grabbed them prior to display, they went quickly or they never received them. What is the rhyme and reason to sending certain titles to some stores but not to others? Whatever you can tell me would be appreciated. Thanks!
In years of hard core BL shopping, (I used to spend $1k monthly or more); it seemed to me to be a combination of random & which stores sold more dvd's.
Old 06-03-14, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by smartalec44
I purchased 'Red Dog' for $1.00 at the Pottstown,Pa. Dollar Tree yesterday. I don't know if it is the same movie starring Josh Lucas,Rachel Taylor, and Koko the dog.
Yup, the same one. thanks for the update. There are a few stores around my area, will check.
Old 06-03-14, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
In years of hard core BL shopping, (I used to spend $1k monthly or more); it seemed to me to be a combination of random & which stores sold more dvd's.
Yes, I think you are right to a degree, but the thing is, how can you track sales of dvds if you are sending random titles. If you are sending multiple copies and a better selection, you will inevitably move inventory. If you send 15 copies of Joey and then determine the sales are bad, that is pretty poor research lol
Old 06-03-14, 03:47 PM

After all these years, we're STILL hating on Joey ?
Old 06-03-14, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jimmaxmed
After all these years, we're STILL hating on Joey ?
It was more of a shout out Lol, I ended up buying a copy at one point. I just wanted to see how many people remembered that and it was just an example of the thought process if they are tracking dvd sales and dumping titles that don't move. If they base it on leftover inventory and the titles aren't desirable to most, then they would continue to send better titles to the other stores. There are definitely Big Lots stores that seem to regularly get better inventory, and I'm just trying to figure out why that happens since we're talking about a 50 mile radius. Unfortunately, the one that gets the routinely better selection is the furthest from my house
Old 06-03-14, 05:38 PM

I knew exactly what you were doing, it's all good.
Old 06-03-14, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw the display at the Torrance store on Sepulveda and Vermont, off the 110. Looked like just about everything was there and unbought, except maybe 4 sets were missing of 2 1/2 Men and OTH, but they appeared to have started with at least 2 copies of every Season of every show, and more than that on many (all?).

I wanted the Batman 3-movie set, but while they had all 3 movies individually, it wasn't there.
Old 06-04-14, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The BL outside of Fort Meade MD and the Capitol Heights location both have the TV season displays. I picked up all of the seasons I wanted but had to go to Capitol Heights to get the Chuck seasons since they had been picked over at the Fort Meade location.

Nothing in the Waldorf MD location yet but I expect then out this week.
Old 06-04-14, 11:13 AM

Will other box stores like WalMart,Best Buy,Target,etc., receive the Warner Bros. TV product cardboard box displays? My Big Lots, Warner display didn't include the OC TV series and I don't feel like waiting until July,September,and October for those replenishment shipments.
Old 06-04-14, 11:55 AM

Raynham, Mass. location has the display. All the same titles, everything priced at $8, but ring up at $7 each when you buy two. Had to get two last episodes of Nip/Tuck to complete what I wanted.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.