Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-11, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Dropped by the Raynham MA. store ,they had multiple copies of Lucy Show seasons 1-3.
Also they had Gomer Pyle, Beverley Hillbillies and some Star Trek stuff.

I picked up :

Don McKay
CQ
and for my son Fantastic 4 - Rise of the Silver Surfer
Old 12-07-11, 06:25 PM

anyone see any UFC dvds lately?
Old 12-07-11, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeDoakes
Are the tv sets you see there new or are they pawned used sets? If they are new, what companies do you see them from?
Re pawn shops, mostly used (not always though). Obviously new at Target, BB, Walmart, etc.
Old 12-07-11, 10:05 PM

I don't know about all of the sets, but for many of them $10 definitely is a bargain compared to other prices out there, and a lot of the comments here strike me as internet carping. What I think is fair to say is that it is a lot easier to get something you are not completely sure about for $6 than $10. I passed on Hawaii Five-O season 7 last year at $10, and have not seen it this year at all (I have extras of season 2 and 5 if anyone wants to trade). Some of these sets may turn up at Walmart or Target, or they may not. I did notice that one of the volumes of Gunsmoke (I don't know if it was in last year's batch) just went oop. Now to the extent that Heroes is currently at Target for $10, one thing I have noticed about Big Lots is that when they try to increase prices of DVDs beyond $3, they can be very poor judges of what will sell at a higher price. Last year they purchased Nickleodeon DVDs of shows no longer on the air and tried to sell them for $6. It did not work well. They also had some Sesame Street DVDs for higher than the Walmart price. There are bargains at $10; just spend your money as wisely as possible and you will have nothing to complain about.
Old 12-08-11, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Also saw a Jericho 2 today but it was a floater.
Old 12-08-11, 08:37 AM

My experience with pawn shops has been that they usually have a crapload of movies (primarily horror or action/adventure) and few or no tv series on dvd and the ones they have had looked as if someone used them as a skim board or something
10.00 for these tv show seasons is a deal in my eyes and even the 12.99-14.99 for Mannix,etc at Flying J truck stops is cheaper than buying on ebay or Amazon.
Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
At $10 I just don't see most of these boxes as being a big bargain. They're usually $5 at Pawn shops, & often as low as $10 at the various big box stores. And for those who don't frequent pawn shops, at least in the PNW most of them have TONS of TV boxes (though very few classic film boxes).
Old 12-08-11, 11:55 AM

I would gladly pay $10 for a new boxed TV set of an older series in which I'm interested. I don't know where you shop, but the big box stores I've been to rarely put older titles on sale, and when they do, it's for more than $10. You also won't see them offered online for $10 very often, if ever, even through Amazon resllers. I don't know about pawn shops, but again, those titles aren't at Big Lots because they were big sellers originally... they're at Big Lots because they didn't sell well originally. Your chances of finding one at a pawn shop are iffy (not to mention what condition they'll be in).

So, what it boils down to is that you might eventually find a particular title at virutally the same price you can walk out the door with it right away at Big Lots. Or you might not.

The old saying about a bird in the hand is very applicable here.
Old 12-08-11, 02:47 PM

The new ad shows the Lucy Show as well as House for 10.00 so I think the Lucys might show up all around the country
Old 12-08-11, 03:41 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Next week's ad:

Old 12-08-11, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd sure like to see a new bacth of QUALITY $3 classics.
Old 12-08-11, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
I'd sure like to see a new bacth of QUALITY $3 classics.
Second you on it. I'd like to see more $1.88 pricing too - scored a bunch of real nice MGM's the past few weeks since BF. But yes, no more than $3
Old 12-08-11, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a year ago at this time weren't we raving about how great it was to find some of these same TV sets from CBS/Paramount for ten bucks? I agree that we got spoiled with the $6.00 Thanksgiving special, but some of these, like THE LUCY SHOW and SGT. BILKO, were not a part of that sale, as far as I know. Of course I wish it was cheaper, I wish everything was cheaper, but will it take another year for THE LUCY SHOW to hit $6.00, if it even shows up at all?

I think if you really want some of these older catalog titles, $10 is not bad for a full season (not such a good deal for split seasons though). I agree with Manzana about some of this thoughts and also have OCD when it comes to not wanting to pay more for something that once sold for less. But at four dollars more for those titles that were NOT available for $6.00 on Thanksgiving, I think this is a bargain.
Old 12-08-11, 06:00 PM
Cool New Member

I was very happy to find the Sgt. Bilko set for $10 tonight. I have been wanting to buy that for awhile now.
Old 12-08-11, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just want to be able to spot these newer titles in BL and then make a sound judgment about whether or not to spend the ten bucks on the titles in question; some titles are worth it, some are not, depending on one's taste.
Old 12-08-11, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I'm not at all bothered by the $10 price on *some* of the sets in this group even though they are from CBS as was the $6 Thanksgiving assortment. Sgt. Bilko for $10 is a steal, while Heroes at that price is "meh". Oddly enough, those Heroes sets were the among the *first* to disappear from the display!?!

I had a couple of the $10 coupons from Thanksgiving and did purchases on 2 days to get 6 sets at ~$6.67 each plus earn 2 qualifiers towards the next 20% off Buzz Club reward. I'm very pleased with the sets I picked up at that price, especially Sgt. Bilko!
Old 12-08-11, 08:57 PM

Same here. The Sgt. Bilko absolutely made my day. And you are correct about heroes. I went back today to the store that had the sets out early last week and everything was still there EXCEPT Heroes. Go figure.
Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I'm not at all bothered by the $10 price on *some* of the sets in this group even though they are from CBS as was the $6 Thanksgiving assortment. Sgt. Bilko for $10 is a steal, while Heroes at that price is "meh". Oddly enough, those Heroes sets were the among the *first* to disappear from the display!?!

I had a couple of the $10 coupons from Thanksgiving and did purchases on 2 days to get 6 sets at ~$6.67 each plus earn 2 qualifiers towards the next 20% off Buzz Club reward. I'm very pleased with the sets I picked up at that price, especially Sgt. Bilko!
Old 12-08-11, 09:03 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Strangely enough, Target had Heroes seasons on sale for $8.99 a few weeks back so $10 isn't really that great of a price. -kd5-
Old 12-08-11, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
Correct me if I'm wrong, but a year ago at this time weren't we raving about how great it was to find some of these same TV sets from CBS/Paramount for ten bucks?
Last year, DVD Box Sets were selling for 2-3 times what they are today. i find it interesting that DVD Movie boxes haven't dropped that much (other than a few on the overstock market, i.e. Amazon 3rd party & ebay), but TV boxes are pretty much being treated as a commodity. I am serious, almost all the pawn shops near me have so many tv boxes they don't know what to do with them. & BB, target, etc keep blowing them out. Fox seems to be getting the lowest prices (of course except Ally McBeal), but pretty much all can be found cheap fairly easily.

To prove my point:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargain...-day-sale.html

Last edited by MooMooMooMoo; 12-08-11 at 11:11 PM.
Old 12-08-11, 11:03 PM
Cool New Member

FWIW, I checked out the Lakewood (CA) store here tonight. Recently, they have been pretty poor in their stock of DVD's so I wasn't expecting much, nor did I find much until, just as I was leaving past their display counter, I noticed a bunch of DVD's It turned out to be some of the $10 TV seasons. I saw
Reaper, Seasons 1 &2
Dirt, Season 2
Nurse Jackie (season 1)
Boy Meets World (season 1)
According to Jim (season I don't care)
Dead Zone Season 1
Some modern western (Dallas meets the O.C., it said)
Some show about young sisters

Multiple copies of each. I bought the seasons of Reaper as a blind buy since my iPhone said it got good reviews. And I used my 20% off from my card. I am looking fwd to Reaper.
Old 12-09-11, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rmw650
I just want to be able to spot these newer titles in BL and then make a sound judgment about whether or not to spend the ten bucks on the titles in question; some titles are worth it, some are not, depending on one's taste.
Richard, the Niles store has gotten some of these TV box sets according to a report I received today. Get over there fast though as stuff always seems to sell out there and they never get enough of anything.
Old 12-09-11, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Silverscreenvid
I would gladly pay $10 for a new boxed TV set of an older series in which I'm interested. I don't know where you shop, but the big box stores I've been to rarely put older titles on sale, and when they do, it's for more than $10. You also won't see them offered online for $10 very often, if ever, even through Amazon resllers.
I bolded the key part, and I'll clarify when I said these are not deals/bargains at $10 it was solely because I'm not that interested in any of these series. Heck, I'm not that interested in much of anything because my free time is low and my backlog of stuff to watch (and games to play) so intense I really shouldn't buy anything else for a few years. My list of unopened and unwatched (or unplayed) stuff is in the multi-hundreds. So I can't justify something I used to watch as a kid (like a half season of The Streets of San Francisco) for $10 because I'll probably never watch it... not because I don't want to but because of work + family = no time. At $6 I can almost justify it, and at $3 I can easily justify it, though if I had any brains I wouldn't buy them at any price because I have so many other newer things I'd rather watch so I shouldn't pay any price for something I'm 95% likely never to use in my life, but a deal is a deal. I guess there is something to be said of having your own library and having a choice, but sometimes when you have hundreds of things to watch it's really hard to choose.

So, there was nothing I was interested in at BL to pay $10 for... maybe a few for $6. And by the time stuff hits BL shelves it has been out for a couple years usually and I've already managed to pick it up if I'm interested for about the same price. A couple years ago I used to look at Walmart's TV season sections and get excited if I saw certain TV sets under $15, but now I rarely go into Walmart (except for food or household items) and if I do go to electronics I rarely look at DVDs or even the $5 bin. The $5 BD bin is coming soon. I've bought so many BDs for $5 that it's inconceivable (I do not think that word means what you think it means) for me to pay $5 for a DVD.
Originally Posted by ryan458
I must ask...did you see the Lucy Show seasons there as well?
I saw ONE season (don't remember which) of the Lucy Show for $10, and it was thrown on top of the tower display rather than hidden at the bottom with the rest. I don't know if knowing that helps you at all. I didn't buy any of them because $10 is too much for me.
Originally Posted by kd5
Strangely enough, Target had Heroes seasons on sale for $8.99 a few weeks back so $10 isn't really that great of a price. -kd5-
Or $7.99 at Target on BF. :-) I know people love it when people mention past deals that are over as a basis for comparison.

Last edited by Manzana; 12-09-11 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-09-11, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dropped by a BL today and picked up:

The Don Is Dead $1.88
Sparkle $3
The Poker Club $3
Smooth Talk $1.88
Old 12-09-11, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
Richard, the Niles store has gotten some of these TV box sets according to a report I received today. Get over there fast though as stuff always seems to sell out there and they never get enough of anything.
Thanks for the tip/heads-up Glenn...will head there this weekend.
Old 12-09-11, 03:46 PM

$10 at 72nd Tacoma WA

Sgt. Bilko: The Phil Silvers Show - First Season
Diagnosis Murder - The Complete 1st Season
Rawhide - The Second Season, Vol. 1
Rawhide - The Second Season, Vol. 2
My Three Sons - Season One, Vol. 1
My Three Sons - Season One, Vol. 2
My Three Sons - Season Two, Vol. 1
Star Trek Fan Collective - Time Travel
Star Trek Fan Collective - Klingons
The Fugitive - Season One, Vol. One
The Fugitive - Season One, Vol. Two
Heroes - Season One
Family Ties - The Complete First Season
House, M.D.: Season One
Numb3rs - The Complete Fourth Season
Old 12-09-11, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

In WI, pretty much what everyone else has seen. Looked picked over, but honestly had at least one of each of the titles other than the Lucy Show. Had House, Rawhide, Sabrina, both Star Treks (the only ones I bought), Family Ties, Sgt. Bilko, My Three Sons, Heroes and a couple others I don't remember. Not too bad for choices, though, like others, would have picked up more for less, but think at least the Star Treks were worth it for ten bucks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.