Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

DD 25% off sale starts Monday

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-10, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DD 25% off sale starts Monday

Originally Posted by Vlyger
Yeah, it sucks that DD now charges sales tax to California residents.

This will OFFICIALLY be my FINAL order with DD as I will be ordering exclusively through Amazon from now on (using gift cards I accumulate on a regular basis, having already earned over $100 in AGC).

I only bought one DVD because it was super cheap.

Krull: $4.76 + $0.40 tax = $5.17. That's what it states on the invoice.

It seems as if DD overcharged me a penny.

Me as a DeepDiscount customer:
August 2004 - November 2010
Got it today, my FINAL order.
Was charged the correct amount of $5.16 on the packing slip.
So long, DeepDiscount. I shall miss you no longer.

Okay, now it's time for me to remove DeepDiscount.com from my Bookmarks.
Old 12-04-10, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by filmsoncon
I'm having a nightmare trying to cancel "Apocalypse Now," which is backordered and then came up cheaper over Black Friday weekend from Amazon. So I went to the site to cancel, but it didn't show up as a cancel option because it's on backorder (WTF?) so I sent an email. They replied that they couldn't cancel it because one of the other items on the order (Scott Pilgrim) was "in process" and they can't cancel an item if another one is in process (WTF?!?), but it should ship "in 24-48 hours". 72 hours later, it was still processing, so I sent another email, again requesting that they cancel "Apocalypse," and they're flatly refusing to:

"We can watch the order to try to catch the item before Apocalypse ships out to process the cancellation. We can not guarantee this item will be cancelled in time. In the event we miss the cancellation we can issue a prepaid label for a refund upon return."

Seriously? SERIOUSLY? I'm done with Deep Discount. Their sale has become a joke and their customer service stinks.
Guess what? I waited all week for them to ship "Scott Pilgrim", and when they finally did, I sent another email request to cancel "Apocalypse." And they shipped the friggin' thing anyway.

I've been buying from DD since 2003. I built my library out of their biannual sales. I am never spending another dollar with them again.
Old 12-04-10, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

First we all complain that they don't ship, now we all complain that they ship!

Old 12-04-10, 11:42 AM

DD has certainly gone downhill in the last couple of years, and the current "sale" is the strongest indication yet of that decline--both in terms of prices and service (to judge by all the complaints here). But I'm willing to give them another chance or two, in case their new owners actually care to live up to the company name--Deep Discount. They really have helped me build my collection. But at a certain point I will simply stop opening their e-mails and going to their website.
Old 12-06-10, 12:02 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

One of my Free Blu-rays from last August from the 1st BOGO shipped

Order Number:
Shipping Method: 5 - 10 BUSINESS DAY DELIVERY
Estimated Arrival date: 12/12/10 - 12/17/10

Quantity Item # Description Price
-------- ------------ ---------------------------------------- ----------
1 WBD039748 BLR : HOW THE WEST WAS WON (SE) $

Merchandise Total: $ .00
Tax: $ .00
Shipping & Processing: $ .00
Total for Shipped Items: $ .00

Was surprised about this because this blu ray is being rereleased in January in a standard blu ray case without the booklet at a cheaper price. I assumed they would tell me it was no longer being manufactured and cancel the order
By the way my order history hasn't updated at all with all the old orders that they are now shipping. The still say open, back-ordered, or processing.

Last edited by Classic Films; 12-06-10 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-06-10, 12:52 PM

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,132 Posts

I sent them an email today asking if I need to cancel my open order from 11.25.2010 and find a new Christmas gift for my father. We'll see what happens.
Old 12-06-10, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally got my freebie from a B1G1 order last September over the weekend. I don't think I'll be placing another order with DD unless I hear that they have really turned things around.
Old 12-06-10, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dogmatica
I sent them an email today asking if I need to cancel my open order from 11.25.2010 and find a new Christmas gift for my father. We'll see what happens.
I have a couple open orders from months ago, and you're getting impatient about an item you placed an order for a little over a week ago!
Old 12-06-10, 02:39 PM

I suppose I can see why that's and yet if I'm getting something for my father for Christmas, I'd like to know if it will arrive in time.
Old 12-06-10, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by dogmatica
I suppose I can see why that's and yet if I'm getting something for my father for Christmas, I'd like to know if it will arrive in time.
You don't order from DD and expect it to arrive in time. Come on!

Old 12-06-10, 04:59 PM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by twinstar
I received my one item DVD order yesterday in the mail. My order from DD didn't even come in a padded envelope. Instead it arrived pressed between two sticky sheets of plastic paper! I didn't realize a DVD case could be used as a shipping box nowadays. The DVD was even loose and rattling around in the case.

Glory days are over...I don't think I will ever order from DeepDiscount again.
I'm afraid I have to agree. I received a box set mailed between two sticky sheets of bubble wrap a couple weeks back - THAT was bad enough. Then I get a DVD in this afternoon (which had been backordered for 3 months!) with only gray plastic sticky sheets covering it. Why didn't they just put a postage label on the factory shrinkwrap while they were at it! The DVD would have been just as protected and I wouldn't have had messy, sticky residue to peel off.

This is a new low - in 10 years of buying online, I've never encountered such shoddy shipping materials! Those terrible plastic trays DD had been using recently look great by comparison. If this is how the new owners at Super D are going to be sending customers merchandise, I hope they have a stellar returns department. They'll sure have their hands full processing all the damaged orders people will be sending back.

Last edited by joe_b; 12-06-10 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-06-10, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by DirkUSA
You don't order from DD and expect it to arrive in time. Come on!

What?! But it's 2007. ...Isn't it?
Old 12-06-10, 05:54 PM

Given how long it takes for orders to arrive, I suspect they also deliver orders by way of Segway. Or maybe well trained tortoises.

I'd guess from here on out this thread will be 99% complaints unless the new owners decide to turn things around.
Old 12-06-10, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's also why I'm resisting this sale and doing business with Deepdiscount.com anymore. Have no damn clue if the stuff is ever going to be shipped properly and if the order even makes it through to start with. Man have they gone into the toilet as of the last 6 months time.
Old 12-06-10, 07:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

So far I have ordered 32 items during this sale. That's includes TV seasons, film sets, and a few individual films. I've received 21 with no issues, waiting no more then five to seven business day from order date. I have 11 more to come. One was backordered for a day befiore being shipped.

All I can say is I've been pleased with my results. I think the biggest issue is that no matter what DD does they can no longer live up to the hype their older sales used to generate. Unfortunately, those days are gone. To me, a sale of 42% or more is good no matter when in the year it comes.
Old 12-07-10, 10:21 AM

I just received my first package from DD this sale. Shipped Wednesday, arrived Monday in a standard cardboard package.

I've never had a problem with them and I'll continue to do business with them. I think they may be experiencing some growing pains right now changing to a different method of doing business in some cases. But I doubt Warner would have selected them to handle the processing of Warner Archive orders if they had big doubts about the company's quality or potential longevity.

I ordered a good bit less from them than I had in the past (about $90 as opposed to hundreds in some past sales). However, I went back and looked at some of the earlier threads on this board from 3-4 years ago in which people posted their "finds" and prices paid, and the prices now are essentially the same as the were then. The difference is that 3-4 years ago, Amazon, Target and Wal-mart did not put seasons of popular shows like Mad Men and True Blood on sale for $10-15 a season and there were far fewer popular titles on sale for $3-7 during the sales. Those other sites also did not regularly have BOGO sales during the year either.

As a result, like many people here, I bought selected items from my wish list from other places, and I will probably buy other selected items during the course of the year when there's another sale. Retailers are now doing much more deep cutting on a few items. All the while, they still have the vast majority of their inventory priced at non-competitive prices. Their theory is that people will come in to buy (or order online) Mad Men for $10 and buy a few other things at much higher prices.

I bought a few things from DD that were competitively priced and a few other things as gifts because they had the best prices available now on those items. I can't send the grandkids a present in March and tell them that it's their Christmas present but I waited until March when it went on sale at a really good price.

I have no complaints with DD. Ironically, I'm waiting on an item from Amazon that I ordered three months ago and is still back ordered. I've never waited that long from DD.
Old 12-07-10, 11:20 AM

Good luck canceling items for those who are waiting and got tried. they DO NOT guarantee a placed order can be cancelled, according to an email I got from the.

Partial quote from the email:

"We not offer guarantee cancellations when an order is placed."

they do say I can send it back 'at my expense' guess that cause i'm in Canada. If I get it maybe i'll just refuse it. But the problem with that is I have some other stuff coming from DD that I want. I can't tell from the packages without opening them first. Going to be hard to refuse a package before opening it first.
Old 12-07-10, 12:27 PM

Not disagreeing with anyone here on their problems, but I was able to place two separate problem-free orders.

I ordered the Rivals of Sherlock Holmes, Set 2, and Jennie (the story of Churchill's mother). Both were priced below Amazon and Amazon third-party sellers. Both arrived relatively quickly. Jennie was listed as out of stock, but only took a few days longer than the other item to arrive.
Old 12-07-10, 10:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My order:

1 HBD091478 DVD : FOUR LITTLE GIRLS $8.21
1 KOV000697 DVD : FANTOMAS $19.40
1 MCA020515 DVD : CROOKLYN $5.76
1 MPD001850 BLR : THE RED RIDING TRILOGY $18.87
1 WBD081426 DVD : GLOOMY SUNDAY $5.99
Merchandise Total: $58.23
Old 12-14-10, 01:16 PM

Just got a shipping notification for Earth Final Conflict S1, placed on 10/27, the last day of the sale.

6 weeks to ship an item. Not bad ... for DD!