Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

DD 25% off sale starts Monday

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-10, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DD 25% off sale starts Monday

I received my one item DVD order yesterday in the mail. My order from DD didn't even come in a padded envelope. Instead it arrived pressed between two sticky sheets of plastic paper! I didn't realize a DVD case could be used as a shipping box nowadays. The DVD was even loose and rattling around in the case.

Glory days are over...I don't think I will ever order from DeepDiscount again.
Old 11-30-10, 11:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I've had pretty good luck with them recently as far as getting orders processed and received within one to two weeks. No backorder issues or any problems. I'd say I've probably ordered about 35 items in the past 6 months with no complaints.

However, I do identify their weaks points:
- I never get shipping notices
- The order status is generally not up-to-date and sometimes just inaccurate
- The website is flacky (this sale I always had to re-enter each order twice to get through checkout)
- Backorders can sometimes stay unfullfilled for long preiods of time.
- Customer service is weak and difficult to communicate with
- Cancellations are difficult because their approach is to communicate orders quickly to warehouses where they can no longer be cancelled.

So when everything goes according to plan they provide a useful service in competition to the others. But when it doesn't, it can be a royal pain. A couple years back I swore never to use them again and went with out for about a year. And then they had some items I wanted for cheaper them anyone else and I went back and things have been successful ever since for me at least. Like many here, they are not my first stop anymore like years past when their sales were legendary. Amazon always get first crack from me now, but I see DD sticking around as option 2 for some time now.
Old 12-01-10, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by twinstar
I received my one item DVD order yesterday in the mail. My order from DD didn't even come in a padded envelope. Instead it arrived pressed between two sticky sheets of plastic paper!
I've had a couple of things shipped to me like that from Bestbuy.com.

Kind of weird to go out and get my mail, and find this giant 18" square of cardboard waiting for me, not knowing what the hell it was, only to find a CD stuck in it.

Can't complain too much, though, since nothing I've received in that type of packaging has been damaged. (Yet.)
Old 12-01-10, 07:18 AM

I'm not supporting them anymore after all these changes for the worst. Luckily their sale brought a few prices down from other vendors. Even if they are $1 more elsewhere I'd rather give my money to better companies. Glory days of the DD sale may be behind us (I have 1903 DVDs in my collection, I would bet about 75% of the R1 titles came out of the DD sales of the past!)
Old 12-01-10, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Their shipping seems to have recovered, but the pricing leaves a lot to be desired. I had 20+ items in my wish list, and only about a third were worth buying/covered by the sale. Make no mistake, these were good deals, but in past years I would have cleared out 90-100% of my wish list with this sale.
Old 12-01-10, 10:22 AM

Just placed an order for three books that cost $6.74 each after the 25% off. That should come to $19.22, but my total came to $20.23. Where'd the extra $1.01 come from? Wonder if they'll send me an answer. I don't mind paying the extra $1.01 but it still strikes me as odd.
Old 12-01-10, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by twinstar
I received my one item DVD order yesterday in the mail. My order from DD didn't even come in a padded envelope. Instead it arrived pressed between two sticky sheets of plastic paper! I didn't realize a DVD case could be used as a shipping box nowadays. The DVD was even loose and rattling around in the case.

Glory days are over...I don't think I will ever order from DeepDiscount again.
How about those "candy trays" they've used in the past? WTF??
Old 12-01-10, 04:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=twinstar;10520475]I received my one item DVD order yesterday in the mail. My order from DD didn't even come in a padded envelope. Instead it arrived pressed between two sticky sheets of plastic paper! I didn't realize a DVD case could be used as a shipping box nowadays.

I got my orders today as well wrapped like that as well but all DVD's were secure. It was the fastest I have ever recieved orders from them though. It was funny I got shipping notices today then when the mail came my orders were all there on the same day I got the shipping notices! Very wierd this company but I was happy to have recieved them so fast! My 4 orders were placed over the weekend!
Old 12-01-10, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris-K
Just placed an order for three books that cost $6.74 each after the 25% off. That should come to $19.22, but my total came to $20.23. Where'd the extra $1.01 come from? Wonder if they'll send me an answer. I don't mind paying the extra $1.01 but it still strikes me as odd.
If you are in CA they now charge tax for shipments there.
Old 12-01-10, 11:46 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Gobear
It's a sad comment on the decline of DD that this sale, which used to be so hotly anticipated that the mods had to shut down numerous threads asking when it would start, is now seen as a laughable ripoff.

Five or six years ago, I would spend hundreds of bucks clearing off my wishlist-now I have no interest in buying from them because their customer service really does su-diddily-uck. With the B&N Criterion sales, my last incentive to shop this sale has evaporated.
Same here... use to love this sale twice a year so I could clear my want list. Now, with the 25% off the prices are still higher than amazon and other retailers.
Old 12-02-10, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
It's odd, I ordered something, saw after the order processed that they are now charging tax, and went to immediately cancel it and couldn't. Now it's been in "processing" for more than 24 hours and I still can't cancel.
Still processing, still can't cancel online. If you can't cancel during a 3 day (and ongoing) processing period, when do they allow you to cancel?
Old 12-02-10, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Still processing, still can't cancel online. If you can't cancel during a 3 day (and ongoing) processing period, when do they allow you to cancel?
I find that the only way I can cancel a DD order is by sending an email. Then it seems to go away quickly... but the online cancel process never works for me.

Note that, in addition to the other multiple problems there, the online order status is wonky. I've had items in-hand that don't change to "Shipped" status until about 3 days after arriving. So they may not be able to cancel if it's gone out.
Old 12-02-10, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by bboisvert
I find that the only way I can cancel a DD order is by sending an email. Then it seems to go away quickly... but the online cancel process never works for me.
I'm having a nightmare trying to cancel "Apocalypse Now," which is backordered and then came up cheaper over Black Friday weekend from Amazon. So I went to the site to cancel, but it didn't show up as a cancel option because it's on backorder (WTF?) so I sent an email. They replied that they couldn't cancel it because one of the other items on the order (Scott Pilgrim) was "in process" and they can't cancel an item if another one is in process (WTF?!?), but it should ship "in 24-48 hours". 72 hours later, it was still processing, so I sent another email, again requesting that they cancel "Apocalypse," and they're flatly refusing to:

"We can watch the order to try to catch the item before Apocalypse ships out to process the cancellation. We can not guarantee this item will be cancelled in time. In the event we miss the cancellation we can issue a prepaid label for a refund upon return."

Seriously? SERIOUSLY? I'm done with Deep Discount. Their sale has become a joke and their customer service stinks.
Old 12-02-10, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by filmsoncon
I'm having a nightmare trying to cancel "Apocalypse Now," which is backordered and then came up cheaper over Black Friday weekend from Amazon. So I went to the site to cancel, but it didn't show up as a cancel option because it's on backorder (WTF?) so I sent an email. They replied that they couldn't cancel it because one of the other items on the order (Scott Pilgrim) was "in process" and they can't cancel an item if another one is in process (WTF?!?), but it should ship "in 24-48 hours". 72 hours later, it was still processing, so I sent another email, again requesting that they cancel "Apocalypse," and they're flatly refusing to:

"We can watch the order to try to catch the item before Apocalypse ships out to process the cancellation. We can not guarantee this item will be cancelled in time. In the event we miss the cancellation we can issue a prepaid label for a refund upon return."

Seriously? SERIOUSLY? I'm done with Deep Discount. Their sale has become a joke and their customer service stinks.
Call 'em. 800-264-5076. You're much more likely to get the situation straightened out over the phone.
Old 12-02-10, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

This is the first time ever I haven't placed a single order during one of its sales. From hundreds of dollars to $0... good job DD.
Old 12-02-10, 04:54 PM

my two preorders videodrome and cronos have shipped
Old 12-02-10, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by larry47591
my two preorders videodrome and cronos have shipped
Were those even part of the sale?
Old 12-02-10, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Call 'em. 800-264-5076. You're much more likely to get the situation straightened out over the phone.
Don't count on it; only difference is you'll spend about 30-45 min on hold. I went the phone route for my issue. I was told I can't cancel a backorder until I get my "in process" order. I called bullshit.
Old 12-02-10, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
This is the first time ever I haven't placed a single order during one of its sales. From hundreds of dollars to $0... good job DD.
Pretty much the same for me. I used to spend $150-200 every summer and late fall on the big DD sales. This year zippo.
Old 12-02-10, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by drmar35mm
Pretty much the same for me. I used to spend $150-200 every summer and late fall on the big DD sales. This year zippo.
I used to spend 150.00 to like 250.00 or more during the sales but this time it looks like a 0.00 and I have not even been looking for anything. I used to get most of my titles from seeing what other people had ordered on here. It will be intresting to see how the takeover transpires in the next year.
Old 12-02-10, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Were those even part of the sale?
they were the first day, but they quickly changed it soon after the sale started
Old 12-03-10, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate the Great
Don't count on it; only difference is you'll spend about 30-45 min on hold. I went the phone route for my issue. I was told I can't cancel a backorder until I get my "in process" order. I called bullshit.
Didn't realize that the phones were that tied up on the CS side of things. In "off" times when there's a cancellation issue, that's usually -- or, at least, it used to be -- the way to get things cleared up.

Old 12-03-10, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if these "cancelation issues" are a result of the new management? Things like not being able to cancel part of an order is definitely not the way things were even a few months back.

Regardless, they're going to have a lot of trouble rationalizing why people aren't able to cancel something that isn't shipping. When titles are taking weeks/months to ship out, I can't think of a single logical reason to prevent cancelling of something that hasn't gone out yet. In fact, I'd suspect such a policy would be illegal in most states and violate many agreements that DD has with the credit card companies.
Old 12-03-10, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Received my first shipment of 4 DVDs today, and it's intact and sans floaters, which is always a positive.
Old 12-03-10, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Yeah, but good luck (a) getting through and (b) if you do, ever getting to talk to someone. I'm at the 45 minute mark-- I have my phone on speaker and am working while I wait, but the CSR who's going to get me is going to receive an earful.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.